Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2010, 14:25   #1

Boat: 41 ft Gulfstar sloop vintage 1974 "Island Fever"
Panama to Northern Mexico

I have an older 41 ft Gulfstar sloop which I will sail from Panama to San Carlos (Guaymas), Mexico beginning mid-Jan 2011, and expect to arrive mid-May. I am looking for 2 persons to assist in crewing, and plan on standard 4-hour watches (4 on, 8 off). Drug-users need not apply. On-board meals, normal transit fees, etc covered. Itinerary includes Acapulco, Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and then over to Baja side of Sea of Cortez to La Paz and Santa Rosalia before crossing back to mainland and San Carlos/Guaymas.
I am a 60+ y/o WM, married (but wife not accompanying me), cigar smoker. You can see my blog at www.islandfever41.blogspot.com for some pix of the boat.

Bill
Old 06-12-2010, 15:17   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
That sounds like a great deal of time. Are you sitting out weather windows?.......i2f
Old 06-12-2010, 15:57   #3

I anticipate sitting out a weather window off Gulf of Tehaunepec and possibly along pacific coast of Panama/Costa Rica.

Bill
Old 06-12-2010, 16:09   #4

Boat: Hunter 42 Passage
Send a message via Skype™ to Panamajames
Sounds like a great trip. BUT I would set foot in Mexico if you paid me.. The whole country is out of control. Good luck.
Old 06-12-2010, 16:38   #5

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"
Don't let anyone hurry you through this trip. I have done it and you need all the time you have indicated (and maybe more) if you want to enjoy anything along the way--otherwise it is just a delivery. Especially being careful at the Gulf of Tehaunepec--I waited two weeks to find decent weather to get through there.

Don't miss Barillas (El Salvador) Bahia Drake (Costa Rica), and Chacala and Isla Isabella. You might skip Quepos (anchorage sucks) and Golfito. But I only went through there once--too quickly.
Castine, Maine
Old 06-12-2010, 16:42   #6

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandfever View Post
I anticipate sitting out a weather window off Gulf of Tehaunepec and possibly along pacific coast of Panama/Costa Rica.

Bill
Both excellent ideas!.
Great people and fantastic anchorages, It took me over seven months to travel from Mazatlan to the canal, I enjoyed every stop. Don't miss the anchorages on the west side of Central America!

sail safe and have fun, John
Old 06-12-2010, 18:01   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Mexico is not out of control. If anything the USA is. Don't go near the border just as you wouldn't drive some neighborhoods in the USA. Hot spots are all over the world. Just avoid them......enjoy....i2f
Old 21-12-2010, 14:50   #8

I'm an able body with an open schedual from now untill late may when I go back to trucking.I am willing to wait out any weather and am a skilled tradesman i.e. welding to mining,steel erection.I am planning a trip from san fran to costa rica with my girlfriend in 2012.I am very easy to get along with and very handy.I speak limited spanish as well.
Old 23-12-2010, 07:32   #9

ABANDON SHIP!!!
The trip is off. It just isn't worth it to do the repairs and sail it to Mexico, so I have decided to put the boat up for sale as is and get whatever I can for it. I'm asking 10K, but suspect I'll get much less.
I have already e-mailed the guys who expressed in interest in crewing and informed them of my decision. I'm making this post just in case anyone else had an interest -- NOW HEAR THIS: THE TRIP IS CANCELLED.
Bill
Old 24-12-2010, 20:42   #10

Boat: 42' Westsail, 32' Bayfield, 36' Pearson
Send a message via Skype™ to artisthos
Well, pick up a good book on voyages and let it take over;(
Old 24-12-2010, 21:17   #11

sorry to here .. just read your blog.. shame. hope you do find another to keep your dream going,and good luck on the clean up.
Old 30-01-2011, 10:11   #12

crew position

I am looking for a crew spot going north from Guatemala around May of 2011. I'm 64 with experience on much of the Mexican West coast. I speak Spanish and have experience. I can follow up with many more detail and references if it's a fit. I do have a sense of humor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandfever View Post
I have an older 41 ft Gulfstar sloop which I will sail from Panama to San Carlos (Guaymas), Mexico beginning mid-Jan 2011, and expect to arrive mid-May. I am looking for 2 persons to assist in crewing, and plan on standard 4-hour watches (4 on, 8 off). Drug-users need not apply. On-board meals, normal transit fees, etc covered. Itinerary includes Acapulco, Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and then over to Baja side of Sea of Cortez to La Paz and Santa Rosalia before crossing back to mainland and San Carlos/Guaymas.
I am a 60+ y/o WM, married (but wife not accompanying me), cigar smoker. You can see my blog at www.islandfever41.blogspot.com for some pix of the boat.

Bill
Old 11-02-2011, 23:45   #13

Hi Mike! Do you have an email address where we can contact you? My fiance and I are moving back to the US from Guatemala around May with no real rush or deadline to get there.

You can email me at brad <at> sweetriverdesign <dot> com
Old 14-02-2011, 11:18   #14

Hi Mike, Iam interested in your add, however your add is from february 12, 2011?....it got 2 diferent dates....one from last year.
My name is kate and at the moment Iam in Panama, and willing to go to Mexico, with experience in sailing. You can email me to kate-car8@hotmail.com
thanks