Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 20:58   #1

Boat: Nic Bailey design Scat Venture West, 40ft Epoxy carbon foam sandwich construction
Panama - Tahiti - Australia

Hi all, This is a rather lengthy post as this information will save me and you lots of energy sending questions and replying to questions and hopefully will give you a better idea of your suitability for this adventure.

The boat (Oflo) is a custom designed 40 foot cat. She has completed 2 circum-navigations and at least 10 Atlantic crossings She was designed by Nic Bailey and built by the Venture West Catamaran team. Oflo is a very light weight (carbon/kevlar foam sandwich) and happily cruises at around 10 knots. She is not however a luxury boat, there is only one head (toilet), the fresh water shower is a foot pumped affair and we do not use a fridge! Each crew member will get their own cabin.

I am a professional skipper (commercially endorsed yacht master ocean) from the U.K. I have travelled, sailed & lived abroad for the last 12 years. I’m looking at transiting the canal in late March/April. Sailing experience is not essential but some is obviously good. Long passages can be rather tough! Galapagos to Marquesas could take up to three weeks which in a confined space can be troubling for some people. Ideally the crew will be relaxed, friendly, tolerant, relatively clean and organised. Each crew member will cook, clean and stand watch.

Oflo has the following safety equipment. A skipper that puts safety at the top of his agenda, EPIRB, Life raft, sat phone, AIS, sea anchor and a drogue.

I currently have three crew committed to journey at least as far as Tahiti. I would ideally be looking for an addition of two or three more. There are three double berths and two single berths so a couple would be welcome. I prefer that you are between 20 and a 40 but I will make an exception for the right person. I don’t mind if you smoke as long as it’s not on the boat.

From the Marquesas onwards the longest we will spend at sea will be 4 days. The cruising plan looks a little like this

Colombia, San Blas, Colon, Panama City, 50/50 as to wether we go Galapagos, Marquesas, Tuamoto (Atolls), Tahiti Society Islands, Cook Islands, Tonga, Fiji, New Caledonia/Vanuatu, Cairns, Darwin, Indonesia.
I run a pretty democratic boat and I’m happy to spend longer in certain places and can change the destinations slightly if that’s what makes everyone happy.

This is a user pays voyage. Contributing to boat & voyage costs will be £500 a month that’s about $25 dollars a day which includes all food and drink on board (not wine). For your buck you get a cabin, an experienced skipper who has made this passage before and an amazing adventure.

You will need to fly into Panama within the next 4 weeks.
Your passport needs to have at least 12 months validity.
Take a look on facebook for some pictures

https://www.facebook.com/orinoco.flo.7?fref=ts

Please PM me or email me rather than posting here

admin@prowessfinishing.com

Tags
Australia, Panama, tahiti