Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2012, 14:06   #1

Boat: Westerly Ocean 49 - 'Zenna'
Panama/Galapagos to French Polynesia

We are looking for a couple to join us as crew on two passages from Panama to Galapagos and Galapagos to French Polynesia. Leaving Panama in Feb 2013. Could be complete trip or one of either legs.

We have a Westerly Ocean 49 - a sturdy sailing boat which we are sailing from the UK to Australia. You would have your own double cabin and bathroom.

We are an Australian/English couple in our 50s who have been crusing for the past 3 years from Dover to Europe and the Caribbean and are currently in Colombia.

Share all duties including watchkeeping, cooking, cleaning and general boat chores. Share sailing costs (provisions, fuel, port entry and exit, etc). Sailing experience not as important as easy going nature and willingness to get involved.
Old 16-08-2012, 06:11   #2

Re: Panama/Galapagos to French Polynesia

Post blog note - the Captain has reprimanded me, he is in fact 49, and a young 49 at that. Also we are happy to have a single person join us.
Old 16-08-2012, 09:39   #3

My name is Andy and I'm from Kauai Island in Hawaii. I'm definitely interested. I can send you my resume if you email me. My email is captainandyryan at gmail.com.

Aloha,
Andy
Old 16-08-2012, 11:00   #4

My girlfriend and I are very interested in crewing with you. I am 37 years old, she is 35 and we live in the U.S. She is a camp director at a YMCA camp and I am an investor/small business owner. We are both avid sailors and sail 2 to 3 times a week during sailing season. We regularly crew on S2s, J22s, and catalinas for races. I own an Aquarius 23 and she has a hobie 16. Most of our experience are on lakes and we have very little offshore experience. However, we are quick learners and are motivated to assist you. We plan to purchase a larger boat one day and do exactly what you guys are doing! We are both first aid certified. Laura is also a lifeguard instructor and I am a former lifeguard. We are personable, easy going, optimistic, hard working, respectful, and responsible. We are both in good physical shape and we swim regularly. Please feel free to email me at happycampfood@gmail.com.

Thanks,

Won
Old 22-08-2012, 13:05   #5

Better get crew who have sailed in a storm or two...
Old 27-08-2012, 10:27   #6

Hi, my name is Renere Lopez and I would enjoy spending the time cruising with both of you. I'm just getting ready to turn 50 and I'm in excellent health and willing to participate in all aspects of crewing. I'm the secretary of the Balboa Sail and Power Squadron with JN, P and AP certifications. In addition, I've been published in several magazines with my stories and images including Boat US (BoatUS - The Man's Trip - BoatUS Trailering Magazine | BoatUS) when both my son and I towed our 8k pound Striper across the country to spend 7-weeks cruising the iCW. I definitely enjoy traveling and I too am looking at spending a year on a 46 Leopard in late 2014.
Old 03-09-2012, 20:12   #7

Hey

My name is Melissa, 25, from Vancouver Canada. My boyfriend Logan and I have had an interesting introduction to the sailing world in the last year and we are looking for an opportunity for it to continue. With no sailing experience and barely any savings left after traveling South America, we decided to buy a Cal 34 sailboat in Colombia in April 2012. For the last 5 months we were living on the boat and doing short trips to start learning and teaching ourselves. Once almost out of money, we hired a captain and sailed from Colombia-Panama and back. We took backpackers both ways to try and make a bit of cash so we could continue on our sailing dream. Unfortunately the brand new motor broke on our journey and with no money left we ended up selling the boat. During our five months at sea we both fell in love with the sailing world. At times it was hard, stressful and scary to say the least, but the amazing moments and beautiful people stole our hearts.

We are now back in Canada working and saving to hopefully sail away from the harbour once again. We are hoping to find a paid position but are looking into any great opportunity that comes our way. We would love to hear from you if you are interested. If not we wish you calm seas, perfect winds, and safe passages.

Explore. Dream. Discover

Melissa & Logan

Old 04-09-2012, 14:11   #8

My husband and I love being out on the ocean, trawling a line to hopefully get some dinner onboard and just enjoying the tranquility of it. We have both been working/living on the ocean for 10 years each so are well used to living in small confines, hitting the bad weather occassionally and being respectful to other (multinational) crew. Both very easy going and very tidy, great personality and SOH but at the same time we both enjoy our quiet time. he is a good sailor and engineer, I am not but what I lack in sailing skills I make up for in cooking, cleaning, navigating, watchkeeping and everything else but the sails. I have crewed several Catamarans between FL to Carib so I have the basics of sailing but am eager to learn it all. He is S African 35yrs, I am UK 39 yrs, so he does a really good braai and I make a great cuppa tea....what more could you ask for? We are planning to take a few months off around Feb time and we were both wanting to spend some time on the ocean doing what we love for fun instead of work
We look forward to hearing from you...(and we will bring PG Tips, Vegemite, Marmite, Heinz Baked Beans and Milo with us....wow... theres an offer you cant refuse)!
Old 09-09-2012, 01:46   #9

Hi Zenna people

My partner and I are very interested in the whole voyage if you are still looking for people. I am a Brit and my partner is Hungarian. We both sail; I have 18,000 miles as crew and in January qualified for my RYA YM Coastal. Orshi, my partner, has lots of experience sailing in races and has also sailed around the Canaries, then back from there to Gibralter. We are about to join a boat sailing the Greek Islands on which I will stay aboard until Gibralter. I am making efforts to sail around the World crewing and skippering where possible to gain experience for YM Ocean.
We are both open minded thinkers in this fascinating World we live in and love being at sea. If you are in any way interested please let me know and I can let you know more about us.

Fair winds

Mat
Old 09-09-2012, 17:19   #10

Well it seems that a lot of people with more experienced than I have already contacted you, but I a 25-year-old raft-guiding,photographing, rambling, music-playing, nature-lovering traveler who, come February or so, will be looking to set out on a voyage to travel around the world one way or another, and would likely be looking to start in Panama, or Mexico. I have a bit of sailing experience, but nothing too serious; crossing the Darian Gap and some introductory stuff year ago; my Great-Uncle used to take me sailing a lot when I was growing up... Anyway, if your looking for hardworking, laid-back and good-natured crew give a holler.

Thanks,

Jay
Old 10-09-2012, 15:23   #11

Hi,

I see you already have a lot of responses to your post. If you are still looking for a couple to accompany you, my boyfriend and I are interested in doing the whole trip with you. We are a young, laidback Canadian couple (both 27), young and fit. We both love adventure and are very well travelled. We have a small coastal cruiser that we use for camping trips, and overnighting. We are interested in gaining some real bluewater experience. It would be really great to sail with another couple. We are just looking for experience and are more than willing to help out with all aspects of the boat and maintenance. Let us know if you are still looking, It would be great to meet via skype and speak further.
Old 11-09-2012, 15:04   #12

I had hoped to be able to reply to you individually but for some reason the site is not allowing that, so please forgive this global reply.

For now could you give us some more info about you - work, family, friends, interests, etc just to help us get a fuller picture.

Also why are you thinking about a trip like this just now and what will you do when we reach French Polynesia.

Let us know what questions you have for us and we will do our best to respond.

Please reply to syzenna@gmail.com so that we can continue this conversation one to one.

Look forward to hearing from you

Mark and Marion
Old 12-09-2012, 08:58   #13

Boat: 41' Sail

Hello! If you should need an experieced Captain: Over 120,000 documented international sea miles of experience as of September 2012. Many TransPacific crossings both directions- Santa Barbara to Auckland and back via Hawaii/Palmyra/Samoa/Tonga/Fiji headed south and via Tahiti headed north- Grenada to Ensenada via the Canal-ICW Miami to Anappolis-At least 40 Mexicio deliveries in both directions-TransPac-Multiple Cabo races- 5 Seattle/Anacortes to So Cal deliveries both directions-Portland to San Diego-Miami to Cascais Portugal via Azores- earthakat at MSN dot com Offshore Delivery Skipper
Old 13-09-2012, 14:51   #14

We are looking for crew to share costs, not a paid passage. If still interested we could talk. Rgds, Marion
Old 13-09-2012, 14:53   #15

Hi Won,

Quick reply is working today so this duplicates the global message I sent yesterday.

For now could you give us some more info about you - work, family, friends, interests, etc just to help us get a fuller picture.

Also why are you thinking about a trip like this just now and what will you do when we reach French Polynesia.

Let us know what questions you have for us and we will do our best to respond.

Please reply to syzenna@gmail.com so that we can continue this conversation one to one.

Look forward to hearing from you

Mark and Marion

Tags
Galapagos