Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2014, 15:26   #1

Boat: Alberg 30, 30' sloop.
Panama Canal transit and passage to Hawaii, mid November. (2006 Tayana 64')

Panama Canal transit and passage to Honolulu Hawaii, mid November. (2006 Tayana 64')

This sailing opportunity begins on the Atlantic side of the Panama Canal, about two hours from Panama City in Shelter bay Marina. We are looking for crew to arrive in Panama around November 9th or 10th to allow time for a test sail just prior to transiting the Panama Canal. Weather permitting we would depart for Honolulu Hawaii within a few days of the transit with a tentative departure date around November 16th. The passage from Panama to Hawaii is just under 5000 nautical miles and could be accomplished in one month with favorable conditions, however to be safe you should allow up to five or six weeks for your schedule.

I don't want to write an advertisement for the Tayana 64's so lets suffice it to say that this is a big, safe, comfortable, ocean going yacht. I can assure you there are few if any finer vessels online accepting volunteer crew. You can find details on Google "2005 Tayana 64 Alchemy". The equipment list is too extensive for this ad but everything that should be there, is, Autopilot, SSB radio, Satt Comms, Generator, watermaker(s), spares, new life raft, all the saftey gear, etc...

The owner has sailed the boat to Panama from Virginia earlier this year and the skipper has recently completed a solo circumnavigation in addition to countless offshore passages.

To sweeten the deal even further, we are not looking for your money. Just get yourself to and from the boat, cover your own "shore-expenses", and we will cover all expenses related to the passage itself (fuel, food underway, marinas, canal transit fees, etc...) Basically we are looking for volunteer crew that want to enjoy and learn from this experience in exchange for performing the basic tasks of crew, rotating through watches, helping with cooking, maintenance, etc. We do not require you to make any financial contribution towards the passage.

If you would like to be considered email the skipper; Sailboatdelivery at Hotmail dot com . I am looking for crew that will work together compatibly as a group, this is more important than your level of sailing experience. On a long passage such as this I don't mind working with and teaching the right people. In the email tell me about yourself, your sailing experience, and why you want to make this passage.

Please remember that with our current schedule you would have to be able to fly into Panama City by November 10th, and will likely arrive in Hawaii about 6 weeks later, but obviously departure and passage times are subject to weather and can never be certain, we do not want to rush the departure or the passage so you should be somewhat flexible.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

-Kirk Little
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4403946_20131012125252678_1_XLARGE(1).jpg
Views:	302
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	89318  
Old 20-10-2014, 08:19   #2

Boat: Alberg 30, 30' sloop.
Re: Panama Canal transit and passage to Hawaii, mid November. (2006 Tayana 64')

UPDATE, OCT 20th 2014, The initial crew positions have been filled at this point however I'm happy to review any future emails in the event that someone cancels or we decide to take on additional crew members. Fair winds, -Kirk
Old 29-10-2014, 07:45   #3

Re: Panama Canal transit and passage to Hawaii, mid November. (2006 Tayana 64')

Hi,
if you are looking for line hendler, i'm in Shelter Bay Marina too and i have already experience.
Dock D34.
Mira

Tags
hawaii, Panama, Panama Canal, passage