Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2015, 16:34   #1

Pacific Crossing to Japan/SEA

Hello Sailors,

I am looking for someone who wants to cross towards SEA or Japan. Departure anywhere on the North American continent. I am fine with every condition, as long as I will reach the Asian continent.

Have sailing experience. Crossed the Atlantic and then sailed through the Caribbean Islands southwards until Trinidad.

I am doing a circumnavigation without public transport and crossing the pacific is my last big challenge! It is my dream to do this trip! But I don´t want to spend 6 more months on the sea, while going slowly the southern route through all those islands and ending up in Australia. I want to reach at least the Asian main land (or Japan....).

I am more than eager to get on a boat and crew with you for this crossing. If i don´t find anyone, my whole expedition will fail.

If anyone reads this and has a clever advice how to achieve this task in other ways, let me know. I am up for anything. My own research is kind of stucked.

Thanks!

Stefan
Old 17-12-2015, 09:22   #2

Re: Pacific Crossing to Japan/SEA

If anyone has general informations about the northern route, it would also help me.

I am specially interested in the question, how many boats might go on the North Pacific passage each year (approx.)? Which is the main starting point (Vancouver, Burrard Marina?)? Every information that can provide a further research is welcome.

Or if anyone knows something about the routes of fishing boats....freighters (not Inter-Modal tho, they have tight restrictions)....
Old 26-12-2015, 00:50   #3

Hi Stefan, I am not really sure, but I sailed last year from Japan via The Aleutians and Alaska to Canada. All in all there were abkut 12 sailboats making that journey last season, and we met a few coming up to Alaska from Hawaii. But we didn't meet a single one going the opposite direction. As I said, I am not sure - but I think currents and prevailing winds speak against doing the trip in the opposite direction. Someone tried to hitch a lift with us from Dutch Harbor to Russia, but this is also what we told him. Good Luck to you, however! Maybe you should try getting to Hawaii and going on from there?

Cheers Kerrin

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 26-12-2015, 15:48   #4

Hey Kerrin,

thanks for the post. Finally someone gives me some more detailled informations! I already expected that the route has not much traffic. 12 boats is really few. So I don´t expect anyone going this year in the other direction.

Hawai, yes. The more I think of it, the more I might take the chance. But only if I find something in advance. I am sick of searching boats in the Marina. And I would rather go towards Singapore/Japan on the northern route than doing all the islands of the South Pacific. And I guess here we have the "less traffic" problem again.

I also look out for some freighters. Not the container ships tho, cause they have tight restrictions and would not pick me up. But there is some traffic with Junk-Frieghters from Alaska to Japan/Korea and that gives me a little hope. Would you consider Dutch Harbour as a place worth to check? I was counting on Anchorage as biggest international harbour for Alaska.

Just need a little boat transfer to Asia!

Cheers,

Stefan
Old 26-12-2015, 18:45   #5

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 43

Stefan,

I read your interesting post heading to Alaska from Japan. It is my future passage to make but not 2016. Ideally summer time right before or after typhoon will be ideal departure time with trade wind. You could google "Bosun bird" who made exactly same passage a few years ago.

Peter Bae
Old 27-12-2015, 00:42   #6

Hi Stefan, sorry, I don't know much about the freighters etc. so can't be of any help there. To get north I would try Seattle or Vancouver, Dutch Harbor is actually way out - and you might find yourself stranded in a very remote place w only one direction to go. Bosun Bird, mentioned in the other post, did the trip Japan to Alaska, so not the direction you want to go. I don't think you'll find any sailing vessels. There is a sailing charter going Kodiak,Hawaii,Japan and in a circle again each year - but that is a charter as I said so probably way too expensive
I would also advise looking at visa requirements etc. Am not sure what the respective countries would want you to have and if you could work your way from tge US. Might be quite restrictive.

Good luck with your endeavor anyways,

take care an stay safe

Kerrin

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
Japan