Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2012, 09:45   #31

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753
Re: Ocean Work Next week, PNW the real thing.

I think a couple of Mustang suits like the CG uses would work this time of year or just a 9 mm thick full wet suit might work this time of year. I hear last of June the weather will give you at least a 2 day window, but waite untill the swell period is at least 15 seconds. Last year a wave period of 15 seconds started about July as I was watching the costal weather buoys for info everyday trying to figure when we could travel up the coast to the San Juan islands. There is 2 times of year the coast calms down one is in the middle of the winter January and the other is July and August. Good luck getting a good weather window in May or first of June. Today we have 30 to 40 mph breezes here on the Columbia river 300 miles inland coming out of the SW.
Old 30-04-2012, 09:50   #32

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Don't feel badly, Newt... you used good judgement in turning around and heading back to Neah Bay. Better to wait for a more extended window of decent weather which should be starting to be more prevalent right about now. Twelve miles seems to me to be a little close in putting you quite close to a lee shore. It is fine as long as everything goes well but cutting it a bit fine if you have problems.
I spent several seasons commercial fishing off the Swiftsure Bank and have done numerous deliveries around Flattery but only one I recall in February... most were late spring, summer and fall deliveries. Additionally, for several years I towd fuel barges up the straits to the west coast of Vancouver Island all year long and the winter storms can be brutal and last a long time so patience is an important virtue out there.
My experience is that the better and longer weather windows occur during May through October. Outside those months the acceptable weather windows are shorter and further between them.
Don't dispair, weather does change!
As far as your track goes, it will help on setting up your entry across the bar from the SW if you have made some westerly before you get off Point Disappoinment which can get quite bouncy as far out as twenty nautical miles depending on wind and sea conditions.
Stay safe and have a great trip... Capt Phil
Old 30-04-2012, 10:07   #33

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Newt check this web site for buoy info and go to the WA coast : www.ndbc.noaa.gov it will give way off shore info on wave high and period.
Old 30-04-2012, 11:46   #34

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Well, for all those that told me "I told you so" . It is a little hard to talk about his, but the short of if is the weather did not change for the better, and SS and I got our A$$es handed to us about 20miles down the coast and about 12 miles off shore. It was a mild gale as far as gales are concerned, probably only 30-35knt winds with swells at about 12 feet with wind waves on top of that. Pouring rain with temperatures in the 40's.
The boat did great, we did not do as well. She is in Neah bay awaiting a rematch. I am in the market for offshore exposure wear and will attempt again the last week of May. Humility is not hard to come by out there.
If it makes you feel any better I got my butt kicked in almost exactly the same spot last year. Last summer in Port Angeles there was a big rumble about water in the fuel at Neah bay. Not sure if that has changed or not.

Last week of May I may be able to crew for you. Drop me a line

Brad
Old 30-04-2012, 20:05   #35

Boat: Kent Ranger 24

I may be able to crew at the end of May as well. I live on the Columbia between Astoria & Portland. Happy to to discuss details if you still need help.

Larry
Old 02-05-2012, 03:28   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

One of the first things I did once I warmed up enough to think was order the Mustang worksuit with full pfd and insulation in place. I think we will need a 3rd person so I will contact a few of you and see if your crazy when we have concrete plans. Thanks for all your support.
BTW- the reason I was only 12 kn miles out was I was heading out, but every mile out the weather and swells just got rougher. By that time they were way over my head. Thank you for the weather links. I was told that Noah only updates occasionally but Coast Guard (WX) updates almost continuously. Is that right? And the period of the swells is really important- for some reason I really learned that.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:22   #37

Boat: Orca 38

It seems that bouy data might be better to monitor just prior to departure off the PNW coast. I'll parrot what Mark said in regards to weather reporting agencies. We were told by some local fisherman who frequent the 20 mile zone, that the NOAA weather reports are updated every 44 hours.

After reviewing the weather loops on NOAA website it appears that the low pressure system did indeed break up when predicted, Saturday morning. What wasn't and couldn't be predicted was that the break up happened as three individual low systems spanning from northern California through Oregon and a localized low system right where we went. They defined themselves and intensified before dissipating 12 hours later.

Mark did a good job and the boat is a well founded machine. I was admittedly not in top form with the worst case of seasickness I ever experienced and was not much help. Mark showed excellent judgement in regards to the worsening conditions and capabilities of his crew. I look forward to sailing with him again soon.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:45   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I would really like to hear about the fuel issue...
Old 02-05-2012, 07:19   #39
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

newt-coast guard gets their info from noaa last i heard--not one accurate assessment--read the pictures and passage weather. as everyone gets info from noaa, the pix are best interpreted by yourself. they tell all....your valiant should be able to handle prefrontal winds, but use them judiciously--make sure when the calm comes, you head into a harbor for the duration so storm doesnt kill ye.
make sure your tank is clean and filters funcioning well sans air leaks. that was my major problem. dirt and air. makes engine stop working and not want to restart most when you do not wish those things to occur. be safe and come join me here in mexico--is gorgeous and warm year round, if ye get faqr enough south..banderas bay is good. more south may be better-----
12 mi out still has chop from rebound seas .... will be smoother farther out to sea. also will have more fish on your troll line.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:38   #40

If it makes you feel any better, Newt, it has been my experience that as you leave Neah Bay, pass Cape Flattery and hit the ocean swell before you leave Tatoosh Island to port, the 'washing machine' starts and will continue until you have made between 30 and 40m KM of westerly. As soon as you make your turn south, the motion will improve and the trip becomes much more comfortable, and faster.
I don't miss the seasons I spent trolling off the Swiftsure Bank back in the 50's and 60's. I think there was still a lightship out there at that time. Jesus, it was rough!!!
Just make certain that your southerly track takes you comfortably off Cape Disappointment to the southern entrance marker before you make your turn left up the ship channel. Turning into the mouth of the Columbia too soon will ensure a really bumpy, and perhaps dangerous ride this time of year depending on tide and runoff strength.
You have a sound boat that will certainly take more than the crew! Cheers and safe passage... Capt Phil
Old 02-05-2012, 08:41   #41

Just read Zeehags comments that are right on the money about ensuring your fuel system is clean, polished and you have a case of fresh filters aboard. The uneven sea motion will certainly stir up all the critters in your tanks and will clog your fuel system in a heart beat... good point, Zee... Capt Phil
Old 02-05-2012, 09:01   #42
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

bt dt -know the fear--been there also--and the scare of having no starter when it failed due to frequency of needing to restart engine 14 times between ensenada and cedros island......also had the problem on opb in caribean near rocks..ouchies..is an important thing

is it possible to install a second racor in your system, newt, so you can fix the dirt problem while still under way???? might be a life saver....
Old 02-05-2012, 13:26   #43

Boat: Nordic 44

Newt,

First, thanks for sharing the good, the bad and the ugly! I always keep an eye on threads related to this stretch of coast and those who make this passage. Walking the docks of Newport, OR the week we were working on our new to us boat, it was immediately evident that "well founded" was required for this "coastal" cruising ground.

Even sticking my nose out into the Straits, I have developed a habit of checking the NOAA bouy data and the Smith Island station. The data is much fresher and indicative.

As for fuel, it has been a crap shoot for the last six years. I downsized the tankage and changed to a poly tank to keep fresh fuel. Still, with the bio-diesel advent, the tank will sour in less than a year without biocide treatments. In my case, I was aware of a bulkhead mounted Racor-type, but didn't realize the little Farymann has a secondary filter up on the injection pump forcing an over-weekend in Friday Harbor.

Agree that three crew would be wise. There are a lot of good sailors who take a day or two to get past the mal de mer. In this case, you are blasting out into big water without a chance of acclimatizing.

Better luck with your May adventure.

PS. Enjoyed your presentation in Provo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
One of the first things I did once I warmed up enough to think was order the Mustang worksuit with full pfd and insulation in place. I think we will need a 3rd person so I will contact a few of you and see if your crazy when we have concrete plans. Thanks for all your support.
BTW- the reason I was only 12 kn miles out was I was heading out, but every mile out the weather and swells just got rougher. By that time they were way over my head. Thank you for the weather links. I was told that Noah only updates occasionally but Coast Guard (WX) updates almost continuously. Is that right? And the period of the swells is really important- for some reason I really learned that.
Old 02-05-2012, 17:12   #44

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ahhh Neah Bay, Made me start thinking about the times Ive set there waiting to go South to fish yrs ago!! Ive had my ass handed to me a time or 3 on Swiftsure LOL, and always go to the south marker before ya turn to the Bar !! Makes a much better safer run to the inside! Have fun ya got the right stuff to do the run !!(now that ya have a warm bad weather gear) Your boat will take more then any of us can !! The Old Fella who taught me to sail told me to always make the boat sail comfortable for me and the boat will be safe for sure !! If that means turning back then thats the thing to do !! You did what most of us old timers would have done in the same conditions !! Just my 2 cents
Old 04-05-2012, 11:24   #45

Boat: Pearson 365

Hi Newt,
We live in Everett and think that one or both of us would be able to help out this month. I'm still working so could only take a couple days off, but Dana is off and free. I'll send you a PM with contact info.