Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 18:01   #1

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.
Ocean Racing Crew - Cronulla, Sydney Australia

We are looking for some additional offshore crew for Saturday racing out of Port Hacking with the Cronulla / RMYC Sailing Club Offshore fleet on a Farr 44 ocean racer which has previously raced in the Kenwood Cup in Hawaii and also the Japan Cup with the previous owners.

"Sea Hawk" is a good performer and is constructed from kevlar and nomex foam and is in full Cat 2 race fitout and is always one of the front runners in the fleet. She has a good turn of speed and performs well on all points of sail but goes particularly well to windward in winds of 25+ knots where she really comes into her own when the light weights in the fleet fall away.

We race on every second Saturday and our races are predominantly in the waters offshore of Botany Bay and Sydney Harbour but some races take us up to Broken Bay and down to Wollongong. We also do the occasional offshore long haul race like the Coffs Harbour series.

We would prefer if you already have some sailing experience and know that you do not suffer from sea sickness or you are able to control it. If you do not have sailing experience other relevant offshore experience, like offshore fishing would be advantageous and we would be prepared to train you in sailing skills if you are keen and reliable and show some committment to becoming part of the regular race crew but we do not expect that you will be able to make it to every race but the more the better.

Here is some good footage of our delivery trip from Coffs Harbour back to Port Hacking. The footage shows us approaching Port Stephens and reaching under a jib top doing SOG of 15 knots which was a great ride and a heap of fun as you can hear.

Here are some photos of "Sea Hawk".

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sea_Hawk.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	428.2 KB
ID:	44705

Name:   Sea Hawk4.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  20.2 KB

Name:   Sea Hawk3.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  20.8 KB

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sea Hawk6.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	44708

Let me know if you are interested.

Regards,
Steve
Old 16-08-2012, 21:29   #2

Re: Ocean Racing Crew - Cronulla, Sydney Australia

Steve, my name is Dan. I am a student at the University of Wollongong, and I am very interested in your offer. I have a 5 years worth of experience racing lasers and vanguard 420s, and a week's worth of sailing a 41 Hunter around the Abacoa Islands in the Bahamas. I have sailed a Beneteau 355 as well.

I would say that I am a competent sailor, but most of my experience lies in fishing. Since I was young, I have fished the Canyons 75 to 120 miles offshore for Tuna and Marlin. Often, those trips would last for days. Needless to say, I do not get seasick.

Having raced small boats, I am familiar with racing tactics (though there's always more to learn!). At this point, I would love to move onto racing bigger boats. If you wish to contact me, my email is [FFS. I GUESS YOU ALSO ANSWER EMAILS FROM NIGERIA OFFERING TO SHARE EMBEZZLED FORTUNES? HOW NAIVE CAN YOU BE? DO NOT POST YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS ON ANY INTERNET FORUM. USE THE PM FACILITY TO EXCHANGE EMAILS]. Cheers.
Old 17-08-2012, 00:42   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Steve,

While I am not interested in your crew position, I'd like to complicent you on your posting. I think that it is the best such advert I've ever seen... gives all the pertinent info about the ride, about the expectations for the new crew, a good description of the boat and the program.

Well done, and I hope that you get your man!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 19-08-2012, 03:43   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 390 1990 model Seduction of Melbourne

Hi Steve ...have you received my email regarding a crewing position on Sea Hawk your Farr 44 I can be contacted at any time at the following address [NO EMAIL ADDRESS - WE ARE PROTECTING YOU FROM SPAMMERS. READ THE STICKIES.]
Cheers and best regards Tim Foster
Old 21-08-2012, 07:52   #5

Dan, thanks for your reply - I will email you as suggested.

Tim - I have been away doing a boat delivery & attempted to email you yesterday but my reply bounced back to me. I notice that your email address in your latest reply is different to what you supplied last time so I will forward it through to you again.

Regards,
Steve
Old 21-08-2012, 07:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Steve,

While I am not interested in your crew position, I'd like to complicent you on your posting. I think that it is the best such advert I've ever seen... gives all the pertinent info about the ride, about the expectations for the new crew, a good description of the boat and the program.

Well done, and I hope that you get your man!

Cheers,

Jim
Hi Jim,

Thank you for taking the time to give this good feedback. I try to cover all the bases so that potential crew get an idea about our crew positions as offshore racing is not a leisurely sail around the buoys in the harbour as the going can get tough & often wet offshore. I really appreciate your kind comments.

Regards,
Steve
Old 09-09-2012, 02:04   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to KARLO

25 years experiences sailing e race
my @mails is [NOPE]
tanks
Carlo
Old 09-09-2012, 20:31   #8

Hello my name is Geoff. I am interested in racing on sea hawk. My experience includes 5 Sydney to Gold Coast races, including this years one on Local Hero. 1 Sydney to Mooloolaba. Melbourne to Hobart. 4 Brisbane to Gladstones. melbourne to launceston. Melbourne to King Island. Brisbane to Keppel. Airlie and hamo race weeks. Plus deliveries up and down Australias East Coast. I am 27 years old keen and enthusatic. My main positon is bow but can do any postion. my email is [FFS. I THINK YOU HAVE POSTED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS ALREADY 50 TIMES ON THIS FORUM. YOU ARE ALREADY ON EVERY SPAMMERS LIST, BUT I'M STILL DELETING THIS AS A MATTER OF PRINCIPLE. PEOPLE, READ THE STICKIES. THE MODERATOR.]
Old 03-10-2012, 18:30   #9

Geoff - sent you a PM several days ago - please reply if you are still interested. Thanks , Steve

Tags
Australia, crew, racing, sydney