Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2016, 15:49   #1

NZ Bound Photographer &Author (from Caribbean)

Better: Panama City area or Rio Dulce in Guatemala (or one of the big port cities on Guatemala west coast) for finding passage towards NZ? Or offer a better port if you know one.

At this point I'm willing to outfit food and buy a damn fisherman's skiff to sail across to NZ if it comes down to it. I'm going to make a serious effort first to find a better vessel already heading in that direction willing to take barnacles like me and my camera along. But I am going, with or without a berth. So...where's the best place overall to find a berth heading towards NZ? To keep my expenses low while I search and the overall traffic volume/quality to find a berth?

Sailing basics and coastal experience, no blue water experience, but you'll have a hard time finding a someone smarter overall, a faster learner, or more determined. Tend to be a perfectionist but I excel at improvisation.
Old 07-05-2016, 15:51   #2

Re: NZ Bound Photographer &Author (from Caribbean)

I don't have a sailing CV, but basic background on my website lygerart.com or the social profiles it links to if you want the info.
Old 11-05-2016, 01:36   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Twin mast 17m motor sailor

Hi , see your aim is to reach NZ well, we are planning an Ocean Safari from Greece through the Red Sea Seychelles, Madagascar, Mozambique to South Africa.
The voyage will be passing through some awesome places offering an unbelievable
range of photographic subjects matter for a photographer. It your are interested contact me on +27609741414 for info. PF.
Old 13-05-2016, 06:51   #4

Boat: Tai Chiao 41, 50 ft overall

I may be interested, but you don't provide your age, sex, or anything really about your personality and habits. Not that any of these things are especially critical for a short transit, but setting off on a trans-Pacific voyage with someone involves a lot of comparability factors. Right now I am in El Salvador with my boat and need crew for cruising to Costa Rica, Panama, and maybe Ecuador. If you help out on some part of that and we seem compatible in a skipper/crew relationship, we can talk about longer passages. My intent is to cruise Central America over the next several months, then sail with either my brother or my daughter to the Galapagos in February next year, and with either my daughter or brother (they'll swap out) to the Marquesas after that. My schedule for cruising the South Pacific is open, but I would be foolish to do it solo and, so far, have not arranged crew. Eventually I'll get to New Zealand and/or Australia.

As for myself, I learned to sail when I was 16 or 17 and owned my own boat for a while after I graduated from college. I sold that soon after I got married and didn't really get back into sailing until my divorce 16 years later when I bought my present boat, a CT41 named Mabrouka. I've lived aboard her and sailed her since then, almost 17 years. That sailing was coastal in Southern California and Puget Sound. I departed Seattle in August 2014 to cruise down the west coast and into and around Mexico. I've been across between Mazatlan and La Paz five times for three visits to the Sea of Cortez. I've now sailed down the west coast of Mexico and south to Bahia Del Sol in El Salvador and am now headed to Costa Rica. I have taken and passed the USCG Captain's license tests, though not bothered with the certificate itself. My boat is solid, well maintained and fairly well equipped.

If you're interested, let me know and we can trade contact information to get better acquainted.

Roy
Skipper/Owner SV Mabrouka
Old 13-05-2016, 09:00   #5

Roy,

All valid points. I've been searching for passage,a couple different routes, for nearly a year - months before I left the U.S.. Early on I provided a lot more of that information and got no responses or follow up at all. The intent wasn't flippant, but I had been considering this a less and less likely avenue to find passage,which is why I've been considering timetables and alternatives to making my own passage across. I agree that sailing the Pacific would be preferable not solo, in some ways, but there are plenty of sailors who cross solo on a regular basis, even if it's leg by leg and the crossing is more of an incidental island hop. You still have that 3 week leg to the Marquesas to overcome!

I figured most of the points you raised would quickly become apparent in a conversation or, if local, a meet and greet. That's part of why I am heading for RD & probably on to Panama. I'll enter Guatemala today I expect. RD by nightfall or tomorrow. From there...

I am male, 36, and curious enough, that seems to stifle a lot of responses. a friend going a different direction noted that my lack of responses was probably solely because I lacked a bikini, and interestingly enough when I was planning to buy and outfit my own 42' tri, I had 3 offers from women and a young man all interested in crewing even before I'd made the purchase, but in a year plus, have yet to find any offers past reaching Guatemala, or possibly Guatemala to Panama if we arrive at similar times, in that entire time, so there may be something to it. I have basic sailing skills and knowledge. All sailing experience has been coastal thus far: S. Cal & S. FL say and pleasure/"party cruise" sails or day charters. I make honey wine, but I'm not much of a drinker, no smoking at all and allergic to cigarettes. Former U.S., former military, former a lot of things. Certified diver and professional author and photographer which are where I hope most of my professional focus to be going forward. I am not financially independent, but I expect to be able to fund my own way at least for this trip unless it stretches out too far, and I have enough skills I can manage once I reach my destination so I'm not particularly concerned about that. It's merely the journey there to be overcome.

I'd be glad to continue the discussion if you like by email, which is why I left my site info as it's all over that site and I figured someone can glean bits of my personality from what I have up there as well if they are interested, even if a lot of it is washed out for public traffic & professionalism. I've also found being too forthcoming tends to backfire, so again,restricting information until essential seemed appropriate.

lyger@protonmail.com if it's easier for you to reach me, though I will be in intermittent access the next few days as I haven't decided how long I'll hole up in RD before I head towards the west coast ports or southward absent a vessel. Safe sailing if I don't meet up with you somewhere along the way.

Tags
Caribbean, photo, rib