Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2014, 12:00   #1

NYC Day/Weekend Sailing

Hello! My fiance and I just moved to NYC from Buffalo. We are interested in day sailing (just me - as my unlucky fiance Bryan has to work during the week) and/or weekend sailing (both of us). We are excited about getting out on the water, learning the NYC waterways, getting some ocean experience, and most importantly meeting other sailors!

A little background: My fiance Bryan is 31 and I am 29. We own a 20ft sailboat (Whimsy) that hopefully will be coming down from Buffalo sometime soon. Both of us also raced for two years with the Buffalo Harbor Sailing Club on a 32 foot ketch. We're looking to join a sailing club here as well but haven't decided which one yet. Recommendations welcome! This past winter, we took a one week sailing course in Florida on a 52 ft Dufour, completing our ASA certifications 101-104. In Sept. 2014 we are chartering our first boat in Greece for our honeymoon!

Please let me know if you need crew or are looking for some sailing buddies! We would love to get out on the water here!
Old 22-05-2014, 12:08   #2

Boat: C. E. Ryder, Southern Cross 28
Re: NYC Day/Weekend Sailing

my girl is 26 i'm 30..and we have been living in staten island for the past 4 years...we'd love to help/meet
Old 22-05-2014, 13:57   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Check out the Manhattan Yacht Club (aka Manhattan Sailing School?) out of North Cove in Battery Park City. I think they also sail out of the Chelsea Piers, mainly J/24s.

Your fiancé might even be able to get in some weekday after-work sailing that way.
Old 29-05-2014, 09:45   #4

Boat: Norm Cross 28 Tri, Hobie Miracle 20, Hobie trifoiler, Condor-40

If you don't mind the drive to the north chesapeake, I have a beautiful Condor-40 tri that I solo sail. Always welcome some extra hands aboard and share the fun. It could be an overnighter to make the drive worth it for both of you but just to caution you JAZ is a racer, not a cruiser, so accommodations are close quarters. Shoot me an email to
chrislaletin "at" mac "dot" com.
Old 29-05-2014, 10:45   #5

Boat: Cape Dory 25D S/V Callipygian

Welcome to the City. I sail my CD 25D out of Jamaica Bay several times a week and the occasional weekend. It's a pretty funky boatyard in Brooklyn, no sailing club, bar or much else. Just a friendly, cheap place to keep the boat and do as much work on it as you care to. You can reach me by adding aol dot com to my screen name. I'm planning a Tuesday sail if the weather holds.
Daviod
Old 05-06-2014, 09:52   #6

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM

My dog and I daysail out of Haverstraw on weekends, if you and your fiance would like to join me. It's about 45 minutes north of NYC.

32' Ericson

My email: capnradar(at)g(mail) dot com

Tags
nyc, sail, sailing