Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2011, 08:14   #1

Boat: 84 Catalina 30
Send a message via Skype™ to Wilk
NY - Cartagena, Colombia

Middle or end of November, I would like to cruse from NY to Cartagena Colombia through Caribbean.
I have found yacht Catalina 30 toll rig that I buy. I'm in the stage of preparing list of equipment necessary to bay to fit the yacht for sea cruising.
I am looking for an experienced person or team (I have no sailing experience) to carry out this operation. All suggestions very welcome. I Don’t want to use professional services. This must be pleasure slow live trip.
Old 27-09-2011, 16:04   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: NY - Cartagena, Colombia

Well, good luck with that and I would not make it a slow trip. You will be freezing your butt off in NY by the end of November and fighting nasty weather to get south from there. When it does get warm by the time you get past Florida, you will be in the winter winds heading into the Caribbean. The offshore weather between the ABC's and Columbia that time of year is not to be trifled with.

You could indeed have an interesting trip. But it is doable - just watch the weather and go long if you have a window.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 29-09-2011, 06:52   #3

Re: NY - Cartagena, Colombia

I'd be willing to crew for you part of the trip if you found an experienced captain. I do speak fluent Spanish and know Colombia very well (lived there for years, my wife is from there and I was even married in Cartagena!) Also been to Cuba a few times but don't tell anyone!

Tags
cartagena, Colombia