Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 20:38   #1

Boat: Philip Rhodes 75 Custom
Newport Beach, California to Auckland, New Zealand via Tonga

Hankering for a serious offshore passage?

Our 75' ketch is currently undergoing a major refit in Newport Beach, California. When the work is complete (expected mid-July, but some variability in that) we will be bringing her down to New Zealand. We currently have 3 crew confirmed and require 3 more. The route will be Newport Beach to Tonga (with Hawaii as a possible waypoint), a few days in port in Tonga, and then on to Auckland. We are happy to consider crew just for the USA to Tonga leg.

We are experienced sailors who have spent many years cruising around the world, and we take safety seriously. You will need to have some reasonable experience with offshore sailing, preferably on longer passages. This is going to be a fun trip, but it's not for newbies.

We will cover costs of food, fuel, and general boat expenses. You will need to cover your own costs for getting to Newport Beach and away from Auckland, visas etc, and any on-shore costs. You will need to supply your own life-jacket, harness and weather gear">foul weather gear.

Sound like you? PM me to find out more.
Old 08-05-2012, 15:09   #2

Re: Newport Beach, California to Auckland, New Zealand via Tonga

Hi Phillip
Love the sound of your advert! I have recently passed my RYA day skipper and am looking to hit the next level of sailing with an adventure like this! I have not been out at sea for this amount of time before, but a trip across the pacific has been my ambition since I started sailing 2 years ago. I live in London, but am planning to be around California in July for a break anyway (career break!).... this seems like the perfect opportunity if you're still looking for people. Mail me on joseph.f.harper@uk.pwc.com and I can give you more info about me!

Cheers, Joe
Old 12-05-2012, 14:52   #3

PHILIP
I AM 56 YEARS OLD WITH 20 YEARS SAILING EXPERIENCE. I HAVE CIRCUMNAVIGATED
THE WORLD ONE AND A HALF TIMES ON MY 41FT ISLANDER KETCH. I AM INTERESTED
IN DISCUSSING WITH YOU THE POSITIONS YOU HAVE AVAILABLE.
PMOORE29@COX.NET.

PAUL
Old 13-05-2012, 17:17   #4

I am helping with a delivery, Bermuda to Newport, RI in July. I could be available after August 1, 2012. Bill Anderson, wdconch@aol.com, 248-399-8507
Old 15-05-2012, 07:26   #5

Hi. My name's Tessa. My NZ-er friend and I are looking to crew to get home to NZ. We are mediocre experienced sailorettes. No long passages quite yet, but we are 4 extra eyes, hands, great cooks, musicians and company. Thank you thank you! feel free to call 916-218-5460. Looking to leave asap.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:26   #6

Hi there,
I am very interested in your upcoming passage to NZ. My name is Alex, I'm currently working in New Hampshire but looking to relocate to NZ / Australia but would prefer to sail there rather than fly. I just recently returned from studying in NZ and my stay left me wanting to go back! I have some sailing experience on 35' to 45' vessels as well as an Atlantic crossing on a 90' traditionally rigged sloop. I would love join, help, cook, sail, navigate, and gain some more off shore experience. I would be able to leave in late august from your current location as long as I can obtain a visa between now and then. Please email me with some information on the crew, boat, rough itinerary.
Thanks, hope to hear from you soon!
Best, Alex
Old 04-07-2012, 08:21   #7

...regarding the above message: feel free to call at 570-337-8253 or email me at alexdukelarson@gmail.com
Old 04-07-2012, 20:46   #8

Boat: Philip Rhodes 75 Custom

All positions on this trip are now filled. Thanks for all the interest.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:01   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Ross 930

Hi There,

Just contacting you to give you my details for any crew work you may need for any general sailing once your here the Hauraki Gulf, Auckland or any coastal passages you might be undertaking while in and around New Zealand.

I crew up on the bow for two yachts locally here in Auckland throughout the year but would love to build on my coastal passage experience. So I could put myself forward for a offshore journey like you about to undertake.

Cheers, Brendon Shiels - NZ Mob: 0272 244 546
Old 05-07-2012, 22:02   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to jasonk

Hi there, your trip is exactly what I'm looking for- serious sea time with experienced sailors. I may not fit the bill, but I thought I'd post anyway. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I have ASA certifications 101 through 105, and I might also have level 106 by the time you're ready to leave. I wrote and passed the USCG OUPV Captain's license exams and I took the STCW '95 course. I also have my open water diver certification.

I am a formally trained Chef by trade and I also have Sommelier training. I'm conversational in Spanish and French. The way I see it, is that I may not have the sea time that you're looking for, but I know my way around a boat, I'm also very safety conscious, I learn fast, and I could make it interesting for anyone interested in learning any of the things that I know, like the languages for example. I'm happy to do my share of the cooking too.

I would love to be a part of the team. It would be a life-changing experience for me. So, besides being a valuable deck hand for the Captain, I think I have a lot to offer my crewmates. I mention this specifically because, if chosen, I would definitely want to be a part of the entire trip.

Sincerely,
Jason
Toronto, Canada
Old 06-07-2012, 11:50   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to jasonk

Hey Capt'n, I guess you're 3 hours behind us here. You can reach me at home after 6pm at 416 698 9356. It would be great to have your email to make it easier to arrange to talk. I can also give you my wife's cell.

Jason

jasonkyriakou@hotmail.com
Old 08-07-2012, 17:29   #12

Boat: Macgregor 26

If you get delayed after July 28, i am an experienced blue water sailor and navigator with decades of Hawaii, and CA to Hawaii experience, who can go with you on a leg to Hawaii. I'd sign on all the way but cant take a long voyage this year. My recommendation would be to sail to Hawaii and then due south to the equator, taking a direct Rhumb Line to Tonga from Newport will keep you in the early season Pacific Hurricane formation zonefor a much longer period. The storms don't come above 20 N usually till August so the passage to Hawaii is a safe course. Then you have only a short two day sail south to Fanning Island at about 3 N to get out of the danger zone. Below 20 N the Eastern Pacific is already up to its 5th storm of the season. Daniel and Emilia are out there right now.

Check these web sites out for good Wx and wind info.. The U Hawaii site can give you good forecasts of pacific surface winds and weather up to a week to two weeks or so ahead.

University of Hawaii Meteorology: Still Model Images/Collage

Global Composite Weather Satellite Infrared Pictures from NASA GHCC

Tropical Weather | Weather Underground

Tags
All Positions Filled, Auckland, california, newport beach