Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2009, 04:14   #1

Newb - Want to Crew 4 You - E. US & Caribe

26 y/o looking to crew from east coast down to Fla, down the Carib, wherever the boat goes... I'm tired of life at this point and want to get away from it all for a while. I have no money, but i'm very efficient and can take care of myself. In return for your hospitality I will be willing to pay with good company and hard work. I'm very serious about this as i'm just tired of the grind in general and would rather spend the younger years of my life doing something i would enjoy rather than something that makes me absolutely miserable...
Old 29-05-2009, 04:28   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
26 y/o looking to crew from east coast down to Fla, down the Carib, wherever the boat goes... I'm tired of life at this point and want to get away from it all for a while. I have no money, but i'm very efficient and can take care of myself. In return for your hospitality I will be willing to pay with good company and hard work. I'm very serious about this as i'm just tired of the grind in general and would rather spend the younger years of my life doing something i would enjoy rather than something that makes me absolutely miserable...
Don't have anything to offer except good luck, wish I had done that 40 years ago. Go for it!
Old 29-05-2009, 08:45   #3

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
got your papers in order? Passport, etc. will be required.
Good luck... check the docks.
Old 29-05-2009, 09:24   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoe71 View Post
Don't have anything to offer except good luck, wish I had done that 40 years ago. Go for it!
Thanks, i'm done with school for now and tired of it all for the time being. I figure even if i take a few years off, i'd rather chill out for a bit and do this now before i have to grow up completely or later when my body won't let me =/ Plus I've always loved the water and boats etc but i'd like to learn the ropes and hopefully later be able to get my own boat. Much appreciated either way. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdennyb View Post
got your papers in order? Passport, etc. will be required.
Good luck... check the docks.
What exactly do i need? I have my passport and license, do i need anything else?

Edit: I'd also like to add that i'm completely clean, i don't drink or smoke or do any drugs or anything like that. However i am not one to turn down a good beer or two with good company once in a good while etc. Besides that i'm quiet, a good cook and efficient and i absolutely love and am addicted to the ocean.
Old 29-05-2009, 11:06   #5

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
you appear to be the perfect or at least a more desireable crew person than some. As a Captain, I would request your Passport and possibly a Vaccination certificate depending on the locations I'd be traveling if required or suggested by the W.H.O.

Some others on here might have more to contribute due to their recent experiences in the Carib.

When you "hook up", expect a concencious Captain to take a look at your belongings you'll be bringing aboard. No drugs (you mentioned that already), no weapons like a gun or bazoka, nothing that would be considered illegal or questionable at the ports of call you might be arriving at, etc. Nothing personal, but I would if you crewed for me... I'd do it too.

Just MY responsibility to the rest of my crew will not be surprised when customs takes a look.
LoL
Old 29-05-2009, 11:55   #6

Thanks,

These requests are completely reasonable. Although i'd feel kind of paranoid, It's completely understandable for the captain to be weary of the crew and vice versa. I'd much rather travel with people i'd trust, as I completely refuse to travel with people that I have to constantly watch my back around.

Vaccinations... def can't leave home without that.

Also something I left out in my previous edit that might help my case a bit is that I'm fluent in both English and Spanish and used to work as a translator for a small company for a while.
Old 06-06-2009, 21:11   #7

Bump,

Still looking... Something along the east coast in the U.S. Would like to leave ASAP if possible. I really don't want to pay another months rent, another months internet or any other bills.. I'm really tired of school crowds, and life on the grind here in general. Please let me know if you're down crew and are looking to replenish your numbers or just need an extra body.