Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 12:09   #1

Boat: Norm Cross 28 Tri, Hobie Miracle 20, Hobie trifoiler, Condor-40
New England to Florida September Multihull Sailing

Aloha, I will be relocating my just purchased Condor-40 OSTAR designed trimaran from Massachusetts towards Florida beginning in September 2013. Sure it is potential hurricane season so no warnings necessary. This is when most boats make the southbound trip for the winter into warmer climes. I am seeking 1-2 crew for parts or all the adventure. A minimum of 2 week commitment is required for any portion. This is a non-paid position and ought to be a great adventure for the right person(s).

The boat is capable of some serious offshore milage but this trip is planned as an adventure with stops along the way to explore some of what the east coast has to offer. There is no set arrival date so we will travel weather permitting with some ICW and some off-shore sailing. The crew will be responsible for transportation to-from the boat and hands on sailing and night watches with typical on-board duties. Navigation skills and overnight sailing experience is a hugh plus.

The accommodations are minimal so if you are expecting a private cabin and bathroom, do not reply. But if you are passionate about sailing, exploring beautiful harbors, and learning about multi hulls, this might be the right trip for you.

I am a licensed captain, grew up on LI sound and lived in Florida so I am familiar with the beginning and end of the route. Presently live in Hawaii so I am experienced with big seas and high winds offshore. Hope to hear from serious candidates only. Oh yea, non smoker, and no drugs, no exceptions. No alcohol while sailing but a glass of wine or two at anchorage OK.

You can reach me on this forum or at
chrislaletin (at) mac (dot) com

Please include your experience, availability and motivation in joining in this delivery/adventure.

Chris L
Old 15-07-2013, 23:25   #2

Re: New England to Florida September Multihull Sailing

Here is an update for those that are interested as I have received several PM. Some interesting sailors out there and a couple sound as an excellent match.

I traveled to Massachusetts this past weekend to finalize the purchase of the Condor 40. She is beautiful. Other than a little clean up around the interior she is in fine condition. Obviously some preparations will be in order like putting a new pointer on the mast head for the electronic wind instruments. Seemed to have been bent up so its not accurate at the moment. Sails are in very good shape. The Yanmar runs like a clock and starts in one or two revolutions. Its a 3 cyl so almost no vibration. I installed two solar panels to keep the batteries fresh and run the bilge pumps incase of any water intrusion in my absence.

Time wise I am thinking that I will return mid Sept to attend the Newport Sailboat show and then spend a week at the marina doing the tweaking and provisioning necessary to begin the adventure. I believe I have my crew in place for the first leg which will be the shake down cruise to LI sound.

Then I will be seeking crew for the NYC and south legs and I expect that time frame to begin Mid October. I've left her in good hands with the marina and I will contact the PMs I received in a few days.
Old 21-07-2013, 20:27   #3

email sent.. cheers, David
Old 28-07-2013, 00:31   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in Hawaii View Post
Here is an update for those that are interested as I have received several PM. Some interesting sailors out there and a couple sound as an excellent match.

I traveled to Massachusetts this past weekend to finalize the purchase of the Condor 40. She is beautiful. Other than a little clean up around the interior she is in fine condition. Obviously some preparations will be in order like putting a new pointer on the mast head for the electronic wind instruments. Seemed to have been bent up so its not accurate at the moment. Sails are in very good shape. The Yanmar runs like a clock and starts in one or two revolutions. Its a 3 cyl so almost no vibration. I installed two solar panels to keep the batteries fresh and run the bilge pumps incase of any water intrusion in my absence.

Time wise I am thinking that I will return mid Sept to attend the Newport Sailboat show and then spend a week at the marina doing the tweaking and provisioning necessary to begin the adventure. I believe I have my crew in place for the first leg which will be the shake down cruise to LI sound.

Then I will be seeking crew for the NYC and south legs and I expect that time frame to begin Mid October. I've left her in good hands with the marina and I will contact the PMs I received in a few days.
Yes my plans are coming together nicely. Will be arriving back in MA to coincide with the Newport Boat Show. Then provision the boat and begin the trip South on September 20th. I have received several great crew replies but just in case they do not pan out, if you are interested in a non-paid adventure aboard my CONDOR-40 Tri as i relocate her from Mass down to South Carolina, please send me an email direct so I can better track and correspond with those interested. chrislaletin "at" mac "dot" com
Old 07-08-2013, 13:27   #5

I have some excellent crew lined up but you know how that can change rapidly. I would still like to hear from those with interest and ability. Here is an update on my trip south aboard JAZ a Condor-40, headed to Brunswick GA. It is going to be a great adventure-- weather permitting but that is always the case. I would appreciate any advise/suggestions for marinas/moorings along the way I might need to duck into. This forum is so informative from one sailor to another. Mahalo, CL

Aloha,
From Hawaii where as our news casters says daily, we have the best weather on the planet. I will bring some of it with me to insure we have a fantastic sail down the east coast.

The itinerary has been set the best it can be considering that as prudent sailors, we know all good plans can be doused by some unfortunate weather. Lets pray for great weather on this one. I do have my crew set for the northern leg which is Fairhaven MA all the way to Barnegat Bay NJ. That portion is more or less a vacation run to get my lovely wife aboard for an enjoyable week. You see she has not been all that enthusiastic that we have a boat 6000 miles from home. Gee, I wonder why?

Although we are now just over a month away, Its time to finalize my crew and you are an excellent choice considering what I know of you so far. I have several great candidates and I would be happy to have any one of them aboard. As we decide this week who can make it, here are some details to make sure you know the route are ready willing and available. Take a look at the info outlined below and I would like to schedule a time to give you a phone call to introduce ourselves this week to make the final pick.

I have put up online the many legs of this eastern seaboard cruise. I use the website BlooSee and you can see my route plans for your self.
Log onto the site,
click the section EXPLORE,
Uncheck the info points boxes so all the info points disappear form the screen so you can see the map of the world.
Zoom out then navigate to LI NY and zoom back in.
Click on the tab ROUTES.
Type JAZ in the search box.
You should see my nine routes listed. Feel free to explore the routes on the site so you know what to expect.

The dates are expected to be:
9/13 I arrive in MA
9/14 Attend Newport Boat Show
9/15 Transport JAZ to north end of Cape Cod canal to have a dodger fabricated.
9/16-Install new Raymarine Chart plotter and Auto-helm.
9/17 Return JAZ to Fairhaven Marina to provision her and make 100% ready to shove off
9/20 Depart Fairhaven MA for Block Island
9/21 Block Island to Greenport LI
9/22 Greenport to Port Jefferson
9/23 Port Jefferson to Oyster Bay
9/24 Oyster Bay to Port Washington. Pick up one friend (Jeff) for next leg.
9/25 Layover day
9/26-7 Port Washington to Bay Head Yacht Club in the north end of Barnegat Bay. This may be an overnighter. Bay Head Yacht Club - Bay Head Yacht Club
9/28 Lay over day and provisioning. Welcome two crew aboard.
9/29 BHYC to Atlantic City NJ (50nm)
9/30 Atlantic City to Carolina Beach NC (450nm)
10/5 Arrive in Carolina Beach
10/6 Layover
10/7 Carolina Beach to Brunswick GA (270nm)
10/11Arrive in final destination Brunswick Marina. Brunswick Landing Marina - A Full Service Marina in Brunswick, Georgia
10/13 Fly out of Gainesville FLA back to Hawaii.

This is an aggressive itinerary and a best case scenario. Weather can play a big roll in dates of arrivals and departures. I've selected the lay over points as I have friends in those areas that can lend assistance for transportation and provisioning.

You will be responsible for your own transportation to and from the boat. I will cover cost for provisioning while we are together.

Shoot me a note with a good time I can give you a buzz. For convenience please include your phone # again.

Mahalo, we will chat soon.
CL

Tags
England, florida, multihull, sailing