Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2008, 17:49   #31
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I view posts for commercial products completely differently than a post for crew or help wanted.

So you think that these recruiters, who earn a commission on finding people to staff the marina/hotel are somehow better than say... Pat from Inland Marine Diesel?

You are saying they are exempt from the commercial bit while other commercial people like Craig Smith from Rocna are not exempt?

That doesn't sound right.

This isn't "help wanted"... this is "we need someone to fill a position so we can make our percentage." The poster is running a business and making a profit from their posting, NOT running a businees that is looking for help.

If they were posting to look for an assistant to help them spam forums online to attempt to fill their openings, that would be one thing - they would be the direct hiring company, not making a profit, but providing a job.

This poster is making money from placing the people in the position.

Head hunters like this are banned from just about everywhere else in the professional world.

Here is what the poster makes when they place someone, taken directly from their website - and they said it's not about the money.... ha ha ha:

RETAINED SEARCH Retained Search - To assure immediate and intensified priority search assistance. Fees are 30 percent of the executive's first year's *gross annual compensation. Stage payments are required in advance deductible from the final payment due on completion.
MODIFIED RETAINER
A flat non-refundable fee of BDS$5,000. (US $2250.) is paid to initiate an expeditious focused search, ideal for timely needs. The up-front fee is deducted from the final 20 percent placement fee (*first year compensation), due at start date.
CONTINGENCY-EXCLUSIVE
Exclusive - Caribsearch is the sole search firm appointed to identify a candidate for a particular position. Fees are 20 percent of gross *first year compensation, based upon success, payable on contract.
INTERIM/CONTRACT CONSULTING Interim Management - During times of flux when a key executive is sought to fill a void, a seasoned Interim Management team or individual can fill temporary gaps in your organization. Fees are tallied on a contractual basis, invoiced at 30 percent gross.
*gross annual compensation is annual total compensation package less bonus
Old 28-01-2008, 17:53   #32
cruiser

Ok my point is made. I'll back out of the thread. Sorry for the negativity, but I can't imagine how this commercial post (even though some members might be interested in it) would be allowed.

I'm interested in Craig Smith's Rocna anchor, but he's practiacally banned from this site because he talked about his anchor in too much detail in his posts. He never once posted a blatant "Call me" post like this one, but was shut down just the same. I like his anchor. Should he be allowed to start spamming about anchors if this post was allowed?
Old 28-01-2008, 18:42   #33
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Somewhere in all of this is the common sense attitude that we all seek information about anything nautical and we have the individual ability to process the information we receive as to value.

Freedom of information is sharing links with others so that they can make an informed decision. (Gord is a fantastic asset to this community)
In my humble opinion abuse is repetitive spam that the Mods do an incredible job protecting us from. If once in a while I disagree with a decision I just look at the big picture.
Thank you Mods….Nick
Old 28-01-2008, 19:31   #34

Shadow I agree with your logic as well.
If among other things it turns out after taking the Managers job that your in fact Living Don't Stop The Carnival and your not having a ball. . . .grab your bags and drag. No Loss No Foul No Error and another bunch of stories to tell at the next Bar / Pub If nothing else an exotic Vacation and ton's of bragging rights and maybe . .
A Novel in the making
Old 28-01-2008, 22:49   #35
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divecoz View Post
If among other things it turns out after taking the Manager's job that you're in fact Living Don't Stop The Carnival and you're not having a ball. . . .grab your bags and drag.
You nailed it, Divecoz. When Hud3 was trying to pin down just where this might be, I couldn't help thinking Kinja! King George, the Third, Island! Then Jimmy's infectious score started playing in my head.

"This is the legend of Norman Paperman . . . "

TaoJones
Old 29-01-2008, 02:38   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
... Hmmmm. Four large catamaran day charter biz: could that be Captain Yannis Day Tours? They run trips out to the Tobago Cays.
Hmmm. 12 room hotel/bar/restaurant, small "marina": how about the Anchorage Yacht Club?
That would narrow it down to Clifton Harbour on Union Island. I heard that the Palm Island folks may have bought the Anchorage, right? Elite Resorts owns them? Don't know for sure...
I believe we have a winner!

“Cached” Profile & Jobs For Elite Islands Resorts
Anchorage Hotel & Marina Manager
Overview: Professional couple needed to manage operations of the Anchorage Yacht Club Hotel, Marina and Yannis Day Charters located on Union Island in the Grenadines.
Goto:

Caribbean Jobs Online - jobs and careers in the Caribbean

An older ad’ for the property:
Caribbean commercial real estate Grenadines real estate Union Island beachfront development for sale Caribbean accommodation for rent luxury Caribbean villa rental Caribbean hotels guest houses and apartments for rent

Old 29-01-2008, 03:28   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I believe we have a winner!
Come on Gord. Tell him what he won!
Old 29-01-2008, 03:51   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Come on Gord. Tell him what he won!
Hud won my respect and admiration.

Of course, as Jean Cocteau said: “The poet never asks for admiration; he wants to be believed.”

Hud: Don’t accept my admiration as conclusive evidence that you are infallible.

Old 29-01-2008, 03:57   #39
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Gord,

Just the hint of our approval is enough! I'm ecstatic! You've made my day! Wow!

Oh Oh! Now everyone else will be jealous!
Old 29-01-2008, 06:01   #40

Hold on now...this isn't the "allocation of admiration topic". You guys are waaaay out of compliance.
“…whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people’s hats off them, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can.” - Melville
Old 29-01-2008, 09:51   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
I'd like to point out to the mods that this post is in NO WAY a crew position and therefore should be pulled.
Nuts. As my kids might say when I've irritated them just one time too many: "Get a life". Commercial it is not. If it suits someone who wants to sleep on dry land for a while fine. If not, there's no need for us to get our knickers in a twist.

It's not Saltwhistle Bay is it? Accomodation numbers sound right:-)

Opps missed Gord's post about Captain Yannis. That is a nice operation. Not as nice as the Submarine operation in Puerto Calero, but a nice op. nonetheless. They were looking to sell the Anchorage for about $6 mill a couple of years ago.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:01   #42

We are a European couple,from Austrian/Germany, working already more then 10 years successfully in Europe and abroad like Africa and Latin America in the tourism business. Right now we are managing a 14 bed hotel in Brazil´s most famous tourist area, the peninsula of Búzios in the state of Rio de Janeiro.
I have an european skipper licence and have several hundered miles.
Before that we spent 5 years on the Island of St.Vincent from the Capverdian Islands in Africa, running a small marina ( appr.12 boats and several moorings) combined with a hotel/restaurant/bar. So we like to live on an island and the smell of the sea is our pleasure.
We know the winword islands, especially the Grenadines like Bequia, Union, mustique, etc very well from several toerns we made dow there.
If the vacancy is still open we would appreciate your first contact,by mail info@oasistropical.eu for further information and discussion. We can phone via skype, but of course if there is a serious opportunity to get this job, we will not hesitate to fly to the Caribbean We would be available from the 1st of March 2008, but one of us could start already in February.
Thank you for your attention and hopefully hear from you soon.

Dimitri & Doreen
Old 04-05-2009, 00:34   #43

couple to manage marina

Hey Im new to this site and just read the whole thing about the job and I think its great. I have cruised for years and this would be a great job for us when we were cruising often its the location and as the lister said the attitude . Im just sorry im not as free as I once was and man I regreat that. So to all the nay sayers there are alot of things that dont add up on the front side that deserve a closer look. Aint that why we go crusing. JPS S/V Papillon

Tags
Caribbean, hotel