Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2008, 13:14   #16
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Close enough Sean - obviously we can't have a category/thread for every possible type of ANYTHING. It is focused at the cruising community and is "crew" as such.
Old 28-01-2008, 13:17   #17

Boat: 43' performance cruiser
money....money money....

It's not all about money guys. In fact, this is a gratis deal. Your assumptions are incorrect.
Old 28-01-2008, 13:29   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Chicken, if the job is management, why are they looking for a couple? Why two managers?

One might think that managing a bar & grill and a charter business and a small marina and hotel was going to be a handful--except of course, I'm sure the job also includes managing the bartender, maid, cook, and other staff? How many other staff, or does each hire cut into the 15% profit? How many tables in the restaurant, seats in the bar, capacity at both?

Or do you mean, looking for a couple of actually RUN the businesses hands-on, not just manage them and lend the odd hand?
Old 28-01-2008, 13:39   #19
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Elusive View Post
Close enough Sean - obviously we can't have a category/thread for every possible type of ANYTHING. It is focused at the cruising community and is "crew" as such.
I'm not a mod, I realize this, but I strongly disagree. We should not have commercial posts in the "crew wanted" area. We wouldn't allow these type of crew agencies to post here would we? (If we do, I'll let them know)

Crewfinders Job Placement for Yacht Crew

Why on Earth would we allow a company that isn't even staffing crew positions to post commercial posts in our "crew wanted" area?

I mean look... you guys didn't even let me link to eBay items listed in the proper "for sale" section of this site. Why would you bend the rules this far out of whack by allowing commercial posts by a for profit business looking to make a buck?

Also, why Gord's link to their site? Are they getting favored status because they are known by a mod? I'm pretty confused, since this board is normally run as a pretty tight ship, and this kind of commercial post would have been deleted a long time ago...
Old 28-01-2008, 13:44   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
It appears that several of us think this opportunity would be a bad career move – and they’re right.
However, others (like I, who habituate the “Boat Ownership & Making a Living” topics) might view this as a wonderful opportunity to extend their budget-constrained cruise, or supplementing the cruising kitty (whilst in paradise).
This does not appear to be a career position, so much as an opportunity to pay your way, and (perhaps) with a little budgetary restraint, add to the kitty.
It bears, at least, a look-see.

Old 28-01-2008, 13:50   #21
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
It appears that several of us think this opportunity would be a bad career move – and they’re right.
However, others (like I, who habituate the “Boat Ownership & Making a Living” topics) might view this as a wonderful opportunity to extend their budget-constrained cruise, or supplementing the cruising kitty (whilst in paradise).
This does not appear to be a career position, so much as an opportunity to pay your way, and (perhaps) with a little budgetary restraint, add to the kitty.
Ok. Thanks for the clarification. The rules are bent (broken) because it's an interesting proposal. Gotcha.
Old 28-01-2008, 14:03   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Right on Gord...
Old 28-01-2008, 14:42   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I'm with Gord on this one too.

It's an ad on the Internet not the Wall Street Journal. Even their reputation isn't stellar. It appears as it is and is in no way endorsed by Cruisers Forum. We don't write them, or take money for them, or conduct overseas investigations. You takes them or you leaves them.

Send us an electronic postcard if it works out. We might come down and expect a few free beers. Chicken, I'll be in Rodney Bay in a few weeks but not looking for a job.
Old 28-01-2008, 14:57   #24
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Actually, it's fairly common for resorts/hotels/etc to look for a couple to hire as a management "team". Works well down here.

I'm curious, however, about where this is. This could be an opportunity for a great guessing game.

Hmmm, Grenadines: well, they're quite a few islands down there.

Hmmmm. Four large catamaran day charter biz: could that be Captain Yannis Day Tours? They run trips out to the Tobago Cays.

Hmmm. 12 room hotel/bar/restaurant, small "marina": how about the Anchorage Yacht Club?

That would narrow it down to Clifton Harbour on Union Island. I heard that the Palm Island folks may have bought the Anchorage, right? Elite Resorts owns them? Don't know for sure.

Anyhow, that's a great spot, and it might be fun for the right pair of cruisers looking to supplement the cruising kitty. As far as a career move, even though the salary is a pittance, that kind of experience CAN lead to other opportunities. The managers (husband and wife) of the VERY upscale Nisbit Planation Resort here on Nevis were cruisers before they landed the job here. I'm sure they make more than $2/hour.
Old 28-01-2008, 15:16   #25

Send a message via Skype™ to CharlesFCook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken of the Sea
To all who responded, reasonably and not,...
I really don't think any responses have been out of line.

Quote:
This is not a career move, nor is it for someone with a day job. It is ideal for a cruising couple who would find pleasure in managing a wonderful little business in the Grenadines.
Your not going to be doing much cruising with this job.

Quote:
Attitude is what it is all about and we thank you good guys who have recognized the fun opportunity this provides for the right mind set.
Attitude does not make a bad deal a good deal.

Quote:
It's not all about money guys. In fact, this is a gratis deal. Your assumptions are incorrect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dictionary.com
grat·is [grat-is, grey-tis]
–adverb 1.without charge or payment; free: The manufacturer provided an extra set of coat buttons gratis. –adjective 2.free; gratuitous.
It's worse then I thought....

Anyway good luck filling the job...
Old 28-01-2008, 15:22   #26

Position has short listed four couples. Thanks again for your thoughtful remarks.
Old 28-01-2008, 16:47   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I think this is a great opportunity. And while not crew related I think it's great to see this here.

Add the cost of accomodation and food allowance to the wage and - yes - you are still living on subsistence wages for a while. I know people who have done the bed and breakfast management thing for similar deals.

Everyone has a different passion. If I was cruising, retired and wanted to chill in a location for a while, I'd be all over this. Experience for the resume, there are all kinds off opportuinities to make side money for someone running a marina.

Good deal - IMO.
Old 28-01-2008, 17:27   #28
cruiser

One parting comment, not negative toward the poster of the ad (already said enough on that), but negative toward the board itself:

I accept that you all are the final word, and am glad to have retired from being part of that team. No doubt it's a difficult and sometimes stressful job, especially with jerks like me around...

However, selectively enforcing your own rules really makes you (the board and mod team) look bad.

Not that me pointing all this out doesn't make me look bad...too, but I don't have a reputation to uphold! ha ha

... the board does.

Just for ha ha's, here are the rules you didn't enforce - if anyone wants to look at them, just click "rules" at the top menu bar of any page on the forum:

Commercial Parties (For-profit companies and Industry professionals):
The forum does not discourage nor endorse any commercial entity and is not intended for soliciting business by commercial parties (advertising info). Our purpose is sharing knowledge so others can benefit. Commercial participants must adhere to all the forum policies including these specifically set out for commercial participants.
  • Members who have a commercial interest in participating in our community will be identified as commercial vendors at our discretion. We enforce a very strict policy regarding solicitation of our membership by commercial participants.
  • Commercial vendors may not quote prices in any forum except the Vendors Forum.
  • The use of "call me" tactics will not be tolerated. Commercial vendors may not use the Forum to direct others to any pages at their own commercial website or website in which they have a commercial interest in, including informational pages except as specifically allowed (vendors forum) in these policies or by prior arrangements with SK networks.
  • Commercial vendors may not use any section of the forum except the Vendors Forum to discuss their products or services unless answering a direct question and even in this case vendors may not quote prices (unless in Vendors Forums).
  • Commercial vendors may not use the main Forums to direct others to the Vendors Forums.
  • Commercial vendors may place a (1) link to their company website in their signature line (font size 2).
It sticks pretty hard for me because I listed about 12 items in a classified with a link to the eBay auctions at no reserve about a month ago. The mods chose to make my life a little bit harder by no allowing me to link to eBay. I was trying to break a rule for a reason that benefited every member of this community by giving away a TON of quality marine stuff without any reserve at all on it. For some reason, they chose to enforce the rules in that case. Funny thing is, many Cruisers Forum members did end up buying the items at super low prices and made out like bandits. But... the mods chose to make my life harder by not allowing the links to eBay. My rule break wasn't allowed. For some reason, this thread's rule break was...

But...

I'll pipe down now since the mod team has decided what to do in this situation. Their decision is final, and that's the end of it.

It just sticks pretty hard when one person is allowed to break the *commerical* posting rules, when another, directly benefiting the community at a huge loss, and not for profit is not allowed to break the rules.

However, I hope they might enforce the rules they wrote in the future in both cases. Total enforcement is much better than selective enforcement.
Old 28-01-2008, 17:38   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I view posts for commercial products completely differently than a post for crew or help wanted.

IANAL but the bits you highlight wouldn't hold up.

Also, the forum just announced that they are creating a special forum for commercial people. So things change and world continues to rotate and evolve.

I think the administration of this site is top notch.
Old 28-01-2008, 17:44   #30

I have no idea of the overall rules and Sully makes a good point since he did a cut and paste of the rules, so you really can't argue with facts.. Lord knows that I have probably come close whenever I see or hear political ignorance, etc..

I guess there are 2 ways to view this type of job. If you are young and still in the making the payments part of your life, then yah, this job is going to wipe you out possibly and is basically white slavery.

But, if you are a retired couple with absolutely no or minimal financial obligations and your schedule is wide open while cruising, then this could be fun meeting other boaters, cruisers, etc.. And the money part is purely a secondary thing.

Trust me, I'm the first guy to jump up when things are crazy and unfair, but I guess it really all depends on where you are at within your life and your obligations. It is interesting to see that there are such types jobs out there.. Like others, I've seen many of the B&B positions and they just do it because of the location, lifestyle, etc..

Anyway, hopefully will leave this thread happy to some extent.

Tags
Caribbean, hotel