Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2014, 18:32   #1

MD to Caribbean/FL; Fall/Winter 14

Hi all,
My girlfriend and I are tentatively planning a trip on my 39' Beneteau from the DC area down to Florida and back this fall. We're both pretty new to sailing and don't have much experience outside the Chesapeake, so we're looking for a couple adventurous, experienced crewmembers to accompany us.
We'd like to leave by the end of October and return by the beginning of January. The boat is from 1990 and shows some age, but it's seaworthy and I've started getting her ready for longer passages. We'd be up for most any destination as long as it's warm and we're back by January.
Please let me know if you'd be interested, or have any advice!
V/r,
-Matt
Old 18-07-2014, 20:50   #2

Re: MD to Caribbean/FL; Fall/Winter 14

Well, I live in Florida, so my first reaction is to not waste your time and head to the Bahamas. Of course, the Florida Keys can be interesting and a nice place to visit.

Why not head down to the Keys and look around for a week or two and then head over to the Bahamas? The weather will still be good for the most part up until the beginning of December. From then on, you will get weather fronts moving down Florida and the northern Bahamas.

A good time to think about heading home would be around the first or second week of December. That way you can wait out fronts and sail up the coast using the gulf stream for a boost or take the slow way and go up the intracoastal waterway.

What's the draft on your boat? The Bahamas favors shoal draft boats although up to 6' should be okay.
Old 19-07-2014, 05:25   #3

PM sent
Old 20-07-2014, 14:41   #4

Boat: Moorings 38

Hi
Just completed the trip from Cape Cod to Ocean City,MD then on to Norfolk to Morehead City via ICW on to the Abacos to Great Inaugua and all the Islands in between thru the Windward Passage to Haiti, DR, PR, Vieques to St Thomas on a Moorings 38 ( Beneteau 1991 ).
Send me an email for particulars if you are interested.
Captrob725@yahoo.com

Capt Rob
Old 22-07-2014, 06:06   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentGregory View Post
Hi all,
My girlfriend and I are tentatively planning a trip on my 39' Beneteau from the DC area down to Florida and back this fall. We're both pretty new to sailing and don't have much experience outside the Chesapeake, so we're looking for a couple adventurous, experienced crewmembers to accompany us.
We'd like to leave by the end of October and return by the beginning of January. The boat is from 1990 and shows some age, but it's seaworthy and I've started getting her ready for longer passages. We'd be up for most any destination as long as it's warm and we're back by January.
Please let me know if you'd be interested, or have any advice!
V/r,
-Matt
Hi Matt,
My neme is Goran, I am from Croatia, I am 46, and I am sailing for last 20 years, I would love to participate, I will be available in mid October and will be free till march, I am filmmaker and will have time as I am preparing my next film in may. I sailed Beneteau a lot, it was my boat in sailing school, I can cook. my mail: goran.rusinovic@gmail.com
best
g
Old 22-07-2014, 08:22   #6

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx

As a preparation for bluewater sailing, why don't you guys do the DELMARVA counter clockwise, this time of year. The fairly short bluewater part off Maryland and Delaware with not only test yourselves but also test your older vessel but putting stresses on the rig that you may not usually encounter in the Chesapeake. Just a suggestion.
Old 22-07-2014, 08:31   #7

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx

Also, Nov.1 is the Caribe 1500 rally which is from Norfolk to BVI but they also run a shorter version to Marsh Harbor/Green Turtle Key, the Abacos. Lots of support and safety plus you travel in a flotilla of 10-15 vessels. The majority go to BVI 30-70 vessels. It may be worth an investigation.
Old 24-07-2014, 03:09   #8

Hi Matt,
I live in the DC area, teach sailing on the Potomac, race regularly on the Chesapeake, have done the Bermuda Ocean Race and Annapolis to Newport Race and cruised NYC to Baltimore, Newport to Annapolis and in New Zealand. I don't bring any particular knowledge of the waters you plan to cruise but I do bring 25 yrs of sailing and 15 yrs of racing experience.
Since even big boats are tight quarters finding out how people get along is key, so if you are interested, I suggest meeting for coffee or a drink.
Best of luck with your adventure whatever you decide.
Regards,
John
Old 03-08-2014, 16:32   #9

hey Matt, I have made the trip on a 30' if ya stay on icw mostly , ya better plan 30 days, I'm lookin to get to marathon, to hop on a 50' catch, heading toward jamacia, as of yet, It will just b me, an ole salt, I;m living in Rehoboth, oct. sounds right

Tags
Caribbean, rib