Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2011, 01:46   #1

Marshall Islands December to March - Need a Ride

I am doing homework on the Marshall Islands. I own no boat and am looking for good surf, which I know is around those islands. If anyone can give me some info about what it is like to travel through them, let me know. I hear the trades are like in Hawaii, there is good surf, somewhat remote. I will have time so will be flexible to travel and look around.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:54   #2

Marshall Islands Dec.-March

Hi there, I am in the planning for spending time in the Marshalls around Dec. to March 2012 (wow are we really there). I am looking into learning sailing and have spent time on boats before. Surfing is one of my main activities. Let me know if you know of people needing crew..thanks.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:00   #3

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27
Re: Marshall Islands Dec.-March, need a ride

I lived in the Marshall Islands for a couple years in high school around 95/96. I Never saw or heard of waves big enough to surf like in Hawaii. If you're traveling through, I would recommend you avoid Kwajalein Atoll. US Gov does work around there. You might be able to go to one of the islands there but might have to check in with the US officials first, I'm not sure. I only know visiting the islands the US control is very strict. If you went to one of the other atolls, you are likely required to visit Majuro for customs first before going to the other areas althought I'm not sure how much enforcement there is outside of Majuro.

It really is a beautiful area too. Enjoy your travels.
Old 06-07-2011, 16:43   #4

Re: Marshall Islands Dec to March - Need a Ride

Thanks Dan. There is indeed, from what I gather, amazing surf there. I will keep on preparing.
Old 06-07-2011, 17:02   #5

Yokwe Joseph, I spent considerable time there, up until last year. The surf is okay at certain atolls, but are not visited by yachts. It is not a place people go to for surfing. Actually few people go there for any reason.

Majuro is the only island with infrastructure to allow for a tourist. Even that is somewhat limited. Kwajalien has the US Army there but you aren't allowed entrance. A nearby island, Ebeye, is the most densely populated place in the world, but also no infrastructure. You need a boat to get around everywhere in the Marshalls.

A normal season will see about 15 to 20 yachts wintering in Majuro. Only a very few will visit the outer atolls. Most just winter and make repairs before heading to Micronesia or back to the South Pacific. Chances of you finding a boat to go surfing on is about zero in my estimation. The best contact for all your RMI questions is Karen on S/V Seal. email her at yachtseal@hotmail.com She is anchored (living)in Majuro.
Old 06-07-2011, 17:08   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

lived in micronesia and there was great surf in most of the islands i visited,Guam is a great base of ops. for all the islands, and the surf there is fantastic ,ie.. merizo,the boat basin,magandise (not sure about the spelling on that one)talafofo bay, a great sand bar break and down south in merizo ive dropped in on 20-25 ft faces in the right conditions i.e. typhoons.the marshalls have consistent surf also as does a few spots in chucck(truk)and if you use guam as a base you can fly to kuta beach in bali any day and catch the mile long break there for 400-500.00 rt out of won-pat airport.there is a guy and gal that have a company that will take you to the marshalls and other great spots on a cataraman there specaltiy is kite surfing but also do other cool water sports like surfing and the like. have fun DVC
Old 06-07-2011, 17:31   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

checkout noonsite and look under marshall islands and follow the link DVC
Old 06-07-2011, 22:20   #8

GUam seems like a good base yeah. It is somewhat out of the northern hemisphere's winter swells and im looking for something consistant. There is a boat called Indies Trader doing surf runs in those months, although might be costly. Martin Daly is the operator and apparentely he has a thing for those islands, and he's seen a lot. But it is still very quiet, just how I like it. Thank you for the links. Aren't there boat services for the locals anyway? I have experienced isolation before for good surf. This atoll life would be quite new to me.

Thank you Kapena, I will follow your link and try to find info from cruisers.
Old 06-07-2011, 22:42   #9

Boat services are very limited, primarily the copra boats of Marshall Islands Shipping, that also carry passengers as deck cargo. You aren't ready for this experience. You would have to supply your own food for a few days to weeks, until the ship gets to the place you want. Have you ever smelled a copra boat? Everybody gets sick and there is 1 toilet for 200 people, all crammed on the deck. Then you have no place to stay, no electricity, running water or stores to buy food (or anything). Then you wait for 3 to 6 months until the copra boat returns, if it returns. It's quite common not to have a ship for a year.

Martin Daly is a great guy and the Indies Trader a great boat, well tended. He was starting a charter type thing in the Marshalls, but also has an operation in Indonesia or Malaysia. Very well respected and liked. Not sure how much the charter costs. Karen on S/V Seal can answer all this much better. Marshall's are a great destination if you own a boat. Sucks otherwise. JMO
Old 07-07-2011, 00:15   #10

Boat: Able 50

You can't get to the surf in the Marshalls without a boat. Majuro is easy to get to but there is no surf anywhere on that atoll. The surrounding water is too deep.

These guys did it but I reckon they would have paid plenty for that boat.

Old 07-07-2011, 00:45   #11

Boat: Able 50

This is Majuro atoll. Nice sunny day, 15 knot trades, no surf.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010048 (2).jpg
Views:	189
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	29364
Old 07-07-2011, 01:15   #12

I wouldn't wanna be in those parts without a boat..

I see plenty of small villages to visit. I have done a trip in the Mentawais islands chain in Indonesia when I had to bring my own food and water. One eventually meets people who help out. Im definitely not gonna go blindly and think all will be perfect.

I see there is air service to Wotje. The thing is I will have time and funds, so something can be figured out. Majuro seems good to base oneself and get atoll visit permits; and I expect most people to tell me "there's no surf here", as it's been the norm in many places where perfect empty waves reeled around some nearby reef. If I have a basic list of spots I wish to spend time around, it is a start. Surfing brings one to very specific areas which focuses research.

To bring this back to sailing, it is something I aim to fall into and am confident it will bring me to the things I aspire for, whether it is in the Marshalls..and/or other areas where the surf is good during those months, before I go back to Indonesia for the good surf season there from April.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:12   #13

Boat: looking

You might want to find out if the refuse from the Japan tsunami has created issues there, yet.

Tags
arc, Marshall Islands