Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2010, 00:29   #1

Looking to Learn

Hi my name is Troy and I have taken a recent deep interest in sailing, but I have been sailing since I was about 6. This summer I started sailing with my dad almost every weekend on a 14ft Catalina (I think), a hobie escape and one weekend on a 38ft boat on a trip to Catalina island. I live in Carlsbad California and I would like to crew in or around San Diego county. I am doing this to learn how to sail better as a second sport to my primary sport which is Taekwondo (a martial art) in which I made All American in this year and made the US Jr. World team as a heavy weight. I am available saturday afternoons and Sundays with the occasional weekday, if homework allows, but if a spot is available at a semi-consistan time on weekdays I will make time for it. I am up for racing, day sailing, practicing, or maybe even an overnight sail.

I am 15 years old 6'2" and about 200lbs.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:57   #2

Hey Troy!

I went to Carlsbad High School (go Lancers!). You might want to consider joining the Oceanside Yacht Club. It's pretty cheap ($40 startup plus $15/month) and you will find lots of opportunities to race and crew, plus it's a lot closer than San Diego Harbor. Call them up and tell them you're 15 and want to really learn how to sail; I'm sure they'll be extremely happy to help.

http://www.oceansideyc.com/

They have a junior's site as well. You'll be able to check out CFJ's and Sabots whenever you want and they have a pretty active racing schedule. I had a friend that was a member when I was about your age and that's one of the things that locked me into sailing.

http://oycj.webs.com/
Old 04-10-2010, 22:42   #3

That looks PERFECT!!! Thanks for the links. I will talk to my parents about this for sure to get their opinion on it.

And as far as CHS goes, they have made a lot of changes in the last few years, they destroyed the famous skate gap last year and have done a ton of construction. But back on topic, some of my friends and I are trying to get the school to sponsor a sailing team because there seems to be quite a bit of intrest for it, so we will see how that plays out. That is why I am trying to learn a little mare about sailing.
Old 04-10-2010, 22:53   #4

oh one more thing. Do you also pay every time you take out a boat or is it just a $40 start up and a $15 per month?
Old 05-10-2010, 10:28   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdtroy View Post
oh one more thing. Do you also pay every time you take out a boat or is it just a $40 start up and a $15 per month?
You'll need to call and ask about that one. I'm sure the rules are different now than they were fifteen years ago when I was in your shoes. If I remember correctly it was free to use the dinghy sailors for races and club training, but it was like $5-$10 otherwise. Whatever the prices, it is much cheaper than anything else you're going to find on the water. Oceanside Yacht Club is one of the most unpretentious yacht clubs on the water. I don't know if your dad is a big football fan, but the Yacht Club turns into a big party for every NFL game and the juniors are always running around in the evenings causing havoc. I hooked up with a few girls down on the docks while waiting out NFL games.

It's a good scene and you'll get great exposure to the water, other sailors, and a cool community.