Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 08:48   #1

Looking to Crew Across the Atlantic

I'm a 19-year-old taking a gap year who is looking to cross the Atlantic in January or early Feb going to Europe. I have limited experience and knowledge (sailing school as a small child, vacation on a catamaran, and I know knots from scouts), but I am eager to learn and do.

P.S. I'll also be looking to crew back across the Atlantic to the US around July/August.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:35   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Looking to Crew across the Atlantic

Now that's we call a lippy yank greenhorn.

;-)
b.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:53   #3

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
Re: Looking to Crew across the Atlantic

The original poster might care to figure out why ships may have their lowest Plimsoll line "wna" for winter north Atlantic. That's a way of saying that many prudent sailors would be reluctant to take a boat across the north Atlantic in winter and that there will be many fewer boats available. Cruising boats tend to go in certain routes at certain times and winter north Atlantic isn't one of them.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:23   #4

Re: Looking to Crew Across the Atlantic

Yes, I do not really know how to go about this or what I'm doing, but I'm trying. I'm trying to figure out what times of the year ships do cross the Atlantic and from where. I did not think I would find a ship crossing in Jan, but I would like to go ahead and figure out how or where to find one for my return trip (my main reason for posting).
Can either of you tell me if it'd be possible to find a ship crossing the Atlantic to the US in July/August and how to find a position on one of these ships?
Old 02-01-2012, 14:37   #5

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Ah, so, THAT kind of ocean passage. This website is more about people doing sail and motor cruising on smaller, private or charter boats, generally for pleasure.

Big ships do cross the Atlantic, although most passenger/cruise line ships will not do a transatlantic crossing in winter. Cruise liners will often follow the sun, spending a season or maybe the whole year in mild- or warm-climate places. Sometimes "repositioning cruises" are available at transitions between seasons as some ships move between the Caribbean and Mediterranean or Caribbean and Pacific Northwest.

Cargo ships keep more of a year-round schedule and will go to places where not many cruise liners will go. Freighter/cargo ship travel is possible on freighters, some of which allow up to twelve passengers, and a few hybrid cargo-passenger ships.

Freighter travel is different from regular cruise/passenger liner travel in that the voyages tend to be longer, amenities are more basic, passengers are expected to be more self-contained, and there's a lot more privacy. Freighter travel may be a little less expensive than passenger liner travel, but it's not super cheap; you may pay less per day but be paying for many more days.

There are websites for freighter travel, and of course plenty of websites and places for passenger liner/cruise ship travel.

Working a passage on a ship is of course a hugely different topic, and means developing specific job skills, getting various credentials, and dealing with unions, global wage competition, etc. Working on yachts or becoming crew for a yacht delivery is an option, but also requires some specific preparation, more likely to happen if you get recommendations, and of course requires that you go where the yachts go -- which is not bloody likely to be winter north Atlantic.
Old 02-01-2012, 15:13   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnboyblue
Yes, I do not really know how to go about this or what I'm doing, but I'm trying. I'm trying to figure out what times of the year ships do cross the Atlantic and from where. I did not think I would find a ship crossing in Jan, but I would like to go ahead and figure out how or where to find one for my return trip (my main reason for posting).
Can either of you tell me if it'd be possible to find a ship crossing the Atlantic to the US in July/August and how to find a position on one of these ships?
If your talking about crewing on a commercial ship, forget it. As to going cheaper on a freight boat, these have virtually disappeared, or have got very expensive.

A cheap 747 ticket is the best

Dave
Old 02-01-2012, 15:18   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

worth hanging out in sailor bars,a young lad like you ya never know what you might get offered..............
Old 02-01-2012, 18:21   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

failing that try www.crewseekers.co.uk.........lol
Old 29-01-2012, 02:59   #9

Hello,
we are looking for crew that needs mile buildings or gain experience for a trip from Rome (italy) to Black Sea (and return back) .
Departing time 15 Feb 2012.
Estimating time of the trip , 2/3 months
Share expenses are requiered (few).
Possibilities of onboard alongside the passage plan (Italy, Greece, Turkey and Bulgaria and Romania)
Minimun duration of berth : 1 week
2 skipper onboard
Jeanneau 42 ' - very safety and full equipped

If interested contact me

diego

Old 29-01-2012, 04:43   #10

Boat: Ohlson 38

I learned long ago to never listen to people who tell you something can't be done.
In 1979, at age 17, I was in Wyoming during the beginning of an oil boom. There were thousands of men who had traveled from around the country, all hoping to find work in the oil fields. Having arrived late, and with no experience, I was told that I would never find work, especially competing with the many experienced roughnecks already looking. My first evening there, broke and having no place to live, I went to the nearest bar which was jam packed with roughnecks. I asked someone if they knew of a job opening. He laughed and then in a loud voice announced to the entire bar that I was looking for work. I never heard such raucous laughter in all my life! But about three minutes later, a foreman for an oil drilling company approached me and not only gave me a job, but a place to live.

Sometimes, all it takes is big balls, and having youth on your side to do the impossible. Good luck with your efforts!

Tags
crew