Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2015, 09:23   #1

Looking for Day Sail in Hawaii

I posted this in general forums but may not have been the best place..so here goes in this section...
I have mostly been a lurker on these forums for a while with only a few posts but have found this site to be a wealth of great info. We have a plan to purchase and retire on a sailboat in about 5 years (will most likely buy within a year). In the mean time we would love to get a little more of a taste/experience just being on a multihull. My family (4 of us) will be vacationing in Oahu late Feb 2016 and we hope to at the very least do a full day sail on one (preferably 35 to 45 ft).

My first thought was to check out the charter options but found there are very little options for the type of sailing we wanted. Plenty of "party" type day sailors but not any true cruiser more personal type of sailing we want, where we can get to know the owner of the boat and learn/hear first hand from them as we sail.

So my question, are there any multihull cruisers on the island (or that will be there in Feb) willing to take us out for a day? And we are NOT looking for the type of sailing trip where we expect someone to hand us a fruity mixed drink, quite the opposite, the more hands on the better. Obviously we would also compensate the owner for the cost of the trip.

Thanks in advance for any response/guidance etc.
Old 26-09-2015, 16:01   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Looking for Day Sail in Hawaii

I wish you the best of luck and hope someone here responds. The folks I know are monohull owners so I'm not going to be much help. If you get no response you might try the multihull forum.
kind regards,
Old 02-10-2015, 14:25   #3

Re: Looking for Day Sail in Hawaii

Thanks for the reply. I guess i should not be so set on just a cat. Monohull would also be just as fun, just would not give the same type of feel a cat would. But in retrospect it probably would be better starting the fam off on a monohull. If you have any suggestion of monos I'd sure love to hear about it as well.

I also posted a thread about getting my daughter started just learning on her own to sail (she lives on Oahu), any suggestions on people/places to start her search would be appreciated.

Tags
hawaii, sail