Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2008, 20:25   #1

Looking for Crew--LA Harbor to Portland, OR

We are looking for additional hands to man a sailing trip from the Port of Los Angeles Harbor to Portland, Oregon. The plan is to use a combination of straight sailing and motoring to get up the coast, with 24/7 cruising.

Experience sailing a large vessel is a must. Offshore sailing experience would be a nice bonus. Our boat is a 38-foot custom-built fiberglass monohull with a sloop rig and standard Catalina 38 sails. We are outfitted with two handheld GPSes, an autopilot for the tiller, a depth finder, both a standard mounted VHF and handheld, and all other necessary equipment for such a cruise.

All serious offers of help will be considered. Feel free to ask for any additional information.
Old 31-08-2008, 20:33   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Might be helpful to know:

Paid or unpaid
Estimated trip duration - start date
What is covered by the owner - All provisioning?
Air fare to LA?
Air fare back to LA from Portland?
Are you looking for a skipper or is the skipper (you) experienced?
What is the experience of the other crew?
How many other crew?
Are the owner and spouse on board or is this a straight delivery?

Is the owner and spouse expecting "lessons"

(Sorry about that last question but it's importnat to know who is on-board)

BTW - I didn't just ask for fun, I may be interested...
Old 01-09-2008, 04:20   #3

Payment would be negotiable depending on the offers for help--ideally we are looking for people willing to come along for the trip with just airfare and provisions provided by us
If we can get the help, we would love to start the trip on Thursday, Sept 4
Regardless of whether or not we reach Portland, we would need to end the trip on the 14th at whatever harbor is closest--we realize that it would be near-impossible to get to Portland that fast, so volunteers would need to be flexible in their final destination for this trip
Someone willing to come along again at later dates for shorter trips (say, weekend long) to finish the rest of the distance up to Portland would be great
Both of us work for an airline, so standby companion fare from reasonable locations to LA would be provided--unfortunately, we could not pay full cost for anyone coming in from a location in Canada, and preferably not from the East Coast, but that would be negotiable for the right person
We (two of us) have minimal experience, but were planning to skipper--if we had the right person, we would gladly take on a volunteer skipper with experience
We are the owners--an unmarried couple
We are not expecting "lessons," but as stated, we do have minimal hands-on sailing experience

Anything else you'd like to know, just ask!
Old 01-09-2008, 04:58   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Sounds like a fun trip. I hope you find some adventurers with experience.

Sep 4 is pretty tight.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:51   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
You would be better off starting later. Maybe your schedule doesn't fit later, but I would try to adjust the schedule if possible.
Old 04-09-2008, 19:17   #6

I am interested in your trip to OR. I want more open water experience and I can leave anytime for your trip. conorATjanical.com.

I was trained in Berkley at the Olympic Circle Sailing Club and completed the BareBoat Cruising classes there. I have sailed form Honduras to Belize as well as I sail 30-40 foot boats out of long beach almost every weekend. I am a small business owner in Southern California.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:23   #7

Boat: in between
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
You would be better off starting later. Maybe your schedule doesn't fit later, but I would try to adjust the schedule if possible.
Why better later, frolic? I'm in Oregon and my take on it is go now, or don't go until April/May. We get our best surf in October and it's just a stormy mess out there, especially on the Columbia Bar, until next spring. Are you considering chubascoes? I don't think that's too much worry, since they never make it up to Pt. Concepcion.

I don't know that much about the best weather/currents (saving up to by the $60 sixth edition of Jimmy's book), but I'd love to hear more about why/when it's best to do the West coast. My wife and I are looking for a used cruiser and will probably end up buying elsewhere, owing to the dearth of used boats in the NW. We hope to transfer whatever we get up here over water and I'm trying to pickup as much as experience and knowledge as possible before that big uphill trip.
Old 17-09-2008, 14:44   #8
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
October usually offers some good windows of calm weather. I have done it, and motored all the way to S.F. from Santa Barbara. You can always go several hundred miles off shore, and catch an old tradewind route. The farther up the coast I don't know from personal experience. Jimmy's book will give some great direction.....BEST WISHES in getting north safely, and let us know what you decide, and how it went......i2f

Tags
portland