Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2013, 08:17   #1

Looking for crew for Caribbean and further

Presently in Dominica but leaving for Martinique in a couple of days.

I am looking for a second person to sail on an open ended trip. Boat is a well equipped 47 valiant.

The crew member I have on board is looking to step off the boat either in Grenada or Trinidad. From there, I would like to continue to Columbia, the ABC's, Panama, San Blas Islands, etc.

The plan is to sail around the world in a slow and enjoyable fashion.

This would be an expense shared thing, food, fuel, customs, would all be split. I pay for the boat expenses (repairs, parts etc). In other words if we decide to spend a couple of days in a marina to see a town, that would be a joint expense; however if the water maker blows up I'll eat that.

No drugs, no smoking, no major health problems (ie if you are wheelchair bound then that isn't going to work). A willingness to enjoy and be able to pull your own weight on a night watch is very important. Male or female is okay, but not really interested in picking up a couple.

John
Old 15-06-2013, 10:43   #2

Re: Looking for crew for Caribbean and further

Hi John.

I'm in Cartagena presently.
I'm looking a sail boat that need crew to sail in the caribeean. I have experience sailing in the patagonian sea.
I would like to know how much money do you think it's needed per month?
You can send me an e-mail to jorgeaa[at]live[dot]com[dot]ar

Jorge
Old 15-06-2013, 19:04   #3

John,

I'm a greenhorn but I did take sailing lessons in San Fran Bay so I may be of more use than some. Am interested in crewing for you and, like Jorge, would like to know more details. I meet your requirements. my email tck{eight six seven}@yahoo{dot}com

Cheers!

Kelly
Old 15-06-2013, 19:05   #4

John,

I'm a greenhorn but I did take sailing lessons in San Fran Bay so I may be of more use than some. Am interested in crewing for you and, like Jorge, would like to know more details. I meet your requirements. my email tck{eight six seven}@yahoo{dot}com

Cheers!

Kelly
Old 16-06-2013, 23:34   #5

Hey John,

I can't get away for two or three weeks, and I'll only be able to crew for a month, but this is right up my alley. If you find someone else to fill the spot I would appreciate if you keep me in mind for a future crew. I'm not at a place in life where I can drop it all with out everything falling apart but it wont be to long before time is on my side.

May the sun always be shining and the wind on your back,
Justin
Old 17-06-2013, 03:02   #6

To elaborate, I don't need specifics just yet. In my opinion, it's not a real adventure if you know where your going right off the bat. Also, I'm kinda one of those eccentric/artsy/intellectual types. It would be awesome if you have a music system aboard so we can listen to Gimmie Shelter by the rolling stones at least a couple of times at sunrise or sunset. I'm just along for the ride until it's time to work or it's time to play. As much as I like to laugh (when ever possible), I get **** done b/c we take care of the crew.

Justinofdiamonds@gmail
(850)-499-7067
Old 20-06-2013, 07:18   #7

Glad to hear you might be interested in joining me.

Expenses are sort of variable, but I can give you a couple of guesses.

Diesel--generator use is about 1-2 hours per day for the fridge and water maker. That translates to about a gallon of diesel per day. Diesel can cost anywhere from $4 US to $15 US.

Last month with the engine and the generator we used about 60 gallons.

So figure about 30 * $10 = $300 US as your fair share of the diesel

Food is the hard part. I don't have a true handle on what is a fair amount there. I prefer to eat on board and like fresh vegetables, fruits, etc. I am thinking somewhere along the lines of $15 - $20 per day for food. (breakfast lunch dinner) Food is more expensive outside the US. My budget in the US was about 100 per week, here is seems to be 140 or more.

Any Alcohol is on your dime as if you like $50 bottles of wine, that gets real expensive real quick.

Thanks for your interest.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:03   #8

hello,
i am interested in your plan.
actually i am busied in skippering here in the med.
i have one transat on my score and yachtmaster offshore, so i would like to know more about this trip.
diego

ogeido@libero.it

Tags
Caribbean, crew