Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2015, 22:31   #16

Re: live aboard thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Is it true that ais transponder is required for thailand?
It is required for foreign flagged vessels and supposedly soon for commercial vessels. It is another temporary money grab that will probably not be enforced.
Old 19-01-2015, 01:51   #17

A copy of a private message

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptop999
Hi, what's the deal? I've very interested.
Not very specific but anyway

You will be living on a boat that has just finished a major 1 year overhaul
You will have a very nice private cabin with private bathroom
We will be anchored most of the time. In Patong bay
I would like you on the boat most of the time with one day a week off. Very flexible
There is a RIB, a dinghy, and soon a jet ski to use if you know how
There might be about 1 charter a month and a the owner goes for a ride about once a week
I would like a few hours of stainless shining or varnishing each day. Take as many breaks as you want, but try to look like you are doing something during the day.
The main reason for this position is, the crew is Thai and there are always Thai contractors showing up. When I am not aboard and there are small problems to sort out. My limited Thai is usually not good enough for the phone. I would like to know what's going on when I'm not there
There is usually food in the galley, but no cook
You will be rewarded with the grand salary of 500 Baht a day
I would want you to stay a minimum of one month
Old 19-01-2015, 02:21   #18

Boat: 1986 Tosca 36'
Send a message via Skype™ to american

As owner of a sailboat in Thailand (on Phuket), and having paid for an education in the amount of work and frustration that goes into watching over Thai crew and contractors (my head hurts just thinking about it), I have to ask: 500 Baht ($15) a day?

In the eternal words of Dr. Leonard McCoy, "I'm not a comedian, Jim, not a scammer!"

Seriously though, good luck with the search.

PS: Apologies for adding nothing to this thread other than my lame Star Trek joke.
Old 19-01-2015, 04:42   #19

I would suggest that anyone thinking about this offer has a look at Thailand Forum - All about Thailand | thaivisa.com

Working on a tourist visa in Thailand can have consequences
Old 19-01-2015, 23:08   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by american View Post
As owner of a sailboat in Thailand (on Phuket), and having paid for an education in the amount of work and frustration that goes into watching over Thai crew and contractors (my head hurts just thinking about it), I have to ask: 500 Baht ($15) a day?

In the eternal words of Dr. Leonard McCoy, "I'm not a comedian, Jim, not a scammer!"

Seriously though, good luck with the search.

PS: Apologies for adding nothing to this thread other than my lame Star Trek joke.
No it is not very much, I am not offering a career. It is more a working vacation.
If the candidate would rather skip the few hours work. Then they can be a passenger and pay our daily fee of 110,000Bt
Feel free to do the conversion american
Old 19-01-2015, 23:18   #21

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannadriveaboat View Post
No it is not very much, I am not offering a career. It is more a working vacation.
If the candidate would rather skip the few hours work. Then they can be a passenger and pay our daily fee of 110,000Bt
So, how can the candidate go wrong? A few hours work to "earn" 109,500 bhat... what a deal. And to think, there may be uncooked food in the galley, too.

Good luck in your quest, Wanna, but it doesn't sound like a great working vacation to me. Others MMV, so you may get some help.

BTW, if you had put all the info from your post #17 into your first post, I would never have gotten involved in the discussion. Still not complete, but enough info to make some sense out of the crew request.

Jim
Old 19-01-2015, 23:41   #22

Quote:
I would like a few hours of stainless shining or varnishing each day. Take as many breaks as you want, but try to look like you are doing something during the day.
The main reason for this position is, the crew is Thai and there are always Thai contractors showing up. When I am not aboard and there are small problems to sort out. My limited Thai is usually not good enough for the phone. I would like to know what's going on when I'm not there
So let me get this straight.

The owner has hired you to be the captain or whatever of his boat. Part of your responsibility is to be on the boat to supervise work that is performed on the boat by outside contractors.

However, you would prefer to not be bothered with fullfilling your responsibilities. Instead you would rather hire someone for $15USD per day to perform your work for you.

Sounds like a scam to me, but maybe I have it wrong.

How does the owner feel about this? I can't imagine he would be happy about paying you to do a job that you turn around and hire someone else to do for you.

Something tells me he pays you more than 500 Baht to do your job, but again I could have it wrong.

Also, does he know you are asking whomever he agreed to have you hire to do your work for you to make it "look like you are doing something"?

Is that what he hired you for? To make it look like you are doing something?
Old 20-01-2015, 02:06   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

just as a heads up here,last year my 19 yr old daughter was working in france as an "Au Pair",staying with a French family looking after a 5 and 7 year old.

generally she was on her own 5 days a week from 8am-5pm in sole charge of the kids.

she got 50 euros a week,with food and board in return for learning a bit of French and working 6 days a week!(which is generally the going rate for "au pairs")

in my opinion not such a bad deal for a youngster who wants some time on the water!
Old 20-01-2015, 03:16   #24

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Gosh Jim, you're starting to sound a bit like a jaded New Yorker. Makes me worried. You hate New Yorkers.

yes, but we speak our mind.

At least he isn't asking strangers to pay a fee to cover his beer money or yard bill. I'll give him that much.
Not yet
Old 20-01-2015, 04:05   #25

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

In the immortal words of the Robot on the "Lost in Space" TV Series - "Danger Will Robinson, Danger!".
Other than that comment, I'm with Jim Cate & Delancey. AKA endeavoring to operate from a place where common sense applies.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
Old 20-01-2015, 04:29   #26

Quote:
By Thai standards I do not think the "wages" are that bad. The people that I employed last year got between 300 and 500 baht a day (building my house and working on the farm).

What I would question is the legality of a working vacation ....

"Visiting Thailand as a Tourist
When you visit Thailand for the purpose of leisure, sight-seeing and personal enlightenment, you are a tourist. A tourist is not allowed to work or conduct business in Thailand. A tourist needs a tourist visa so you can stay in Thailand for a period of 15 or 30 days while doing her own explorations and excursions in the kingdom.
Tourist Visa in Thailand | ThaiEmbassy.com
Old 20-01-2015, 06:34   #27

Other than the way the position has been presented and the fact that I think it’s a bit naive, I don’t have a problem with the posting.

I am totally with Jim Cate regarding the OP. It always amazes me when people make completely vague postings and then wait till post #17 to share what I would consider to be details that are essential to any advertisement. Fundamental really. It makes me think that the poster is very self-centered with very few empathy skills as last time I checked there are zero psychics here.

I only said scam because I doubt the absentee owner knows what’s going on, but I could have it wrong. I did notice the OP hasn’t responded, so probably I am not wrong.

Personally, being stuck on a boat at anchor for six days a week in the same spot sounds boring, maybe a nice gig for a writer or a layabout. The pay is probably appropriate for the location but I think the OP misses the mark on the demographic here at CF. I couldn’t afford to work for $15 per day and if I was going to pay for a vacation it certainly wouldn't be to do brightwork on someone else's boat.

Maybe a good opportunity for a 19 year old backpacker but my guess is they too would get bored stuck on a boat six days a week for a month not going anywhere except for a sail with the owner once a week and the occasional charter (now your working!!!) whatever that means.

I doubt they could save enough in that time to get an airplane ticket off to the next adventure at that rate considering beer and whores probably aren’t included in the compensation. Also, the fact that there is “usually” food on board sounds somewhat dubious.

Nice looking boat FWIW.

Meroja: Meroja
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bigpic19.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	95768  
Old 20-01-2015, 07:52   #28

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

It would be a much sought after position for a young person seeing the world on a shoestring and in the area.

I am often guilty of speaking and writing in a manner that does not convey my full intentions at first.

The OP's opening comment certainly inspired discourse.
Old 20-01-2015, 08:04   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
I am often guilty of speaking and writing in a manner that does not convey my full intentions at first.
Really? You often post Help Wanted ads without including a specific details like geographic location, compensation, or scope of work? How does the work for you?

Just curious. That seems a bit unusual to me.
Old 20-01-2015, 08:19   #30

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
live aboard thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Really? You often post Help Wanted ads without including a specific details like geographic location, compensation, or scope of work? How does the work for you?

Just curious. That seems a bit unusual to me.

As does someone being critical of a short post does to me. The constant use of the word "advise" in place of the proper term "advice" would offend an English tutor but somehow I get the intent of the poster.

I single hand quite a bit and post not long before I cast off my lines. The details are usually worked out via email or PM.

Were I 19 yrs old and in Asia, I would have read volumes in the original post.

Tags
Thailand