Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2012, 12:55   #1

Boat: lagoon 450f
pirate Lake Charles to Miami

Crew wanted to take boat Beneteaou 32s5 to Miami some Gicw some gulf crossing all expenses paid onboard plan arround begining of march ,
Old 24-02-2012, 11:28   #2

Boat: Norm Cross 28 Tri, Hobie Miracle 20, Hobie trifoiler, Condor-40
Re: Lake Charles to Miami

Aloha Popeye,
I would be interested in assisting you. I lived in Florida west coast for 10 years and hold a USCG 50 ton captains (with sail addendum) for FLA west coast. Exactly where you will be cruising. I just retired as the GM for the Historic Hawaii Yacht Club so I am foot loose and fancy free to join an adventure such as yours. I have all of my personal safety gear from harness to epirb so I am 100% ready to go. If your are still seeking crew, I can be reached at chrislaletin at mac.com You will need to fix the email address with the @ sign.

Looking forward to assisting. Please let me know either way. Mahalo, CL
Old 25-02-2012, 07:43   #3

Dear Chris:
****************It looks like you can be the perfect person for the passage ,plesae let me know about your time availability and if you have any special requirements travel arrengement,etc ,the idea is to start no later than 15 of march to have good weather window before hurricane season and warm weather ( I sail the first leg from houston in december with 40 degrres not confortable)the plan is to do some gicw and then the jump to west coast ,fl ,from there okechobee canal and locks to esat coast ,all sugestion welcome .

Sent from my iPad
Old 25-02-2012, 07:53   #4

Popeye, sorry I can't help much, but I'd like the ride...lol

but what I was wondering is how are you going to get out of Lake Charles to the gulf? Are you actually south of Lake Charles?
Old 25-02-2012, 08:21   #5

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Wavewacker, I don't know if Popeye will answer but I will !!LOL theres a bunch of ways to get from Lake Charles to the gulf, includeing almost stright south to the gulf by way of Camaron LA. Or depending on mast height by way of ICW to Lake Ponchatrain, to the gulf, and half a dozen other ways from the ICW to the gulf. not a problem !! LOL justa thought Bob and Connie
Old 25-02-2012, 14:12   #6

n a marina inthe Gicw no bridges to the gulf
Old 25-02-2012, 20:04   #7

Boat: Norm Cross 28 Tri, Hobie Miracle 20, Hobie trifoiler, Condor-40

My only requirement would be to allow me to share my skills & local knowledge of the cruising areas I am familiar with and that we rely on one another to insure the safety of the boat and all aboard. Also I suggest that there be zero contraband drugs onboard as the FLA marine patrol will most likely do a boarding and you would hate to pay the price for that. They are pleasant and professional providing all is in order. Personally I am 100% drug free but I do enjoy a glass of wine when secure in a nice anchorage. But no need if you run an alcohol free boat. I was boarded numerous times while sailing in Florida.

Yes I am very interested in assisting. Would love to get back into my old stomping grounds. I have transited the Coloosahatche Ft Myers to Stuart and that was an awesome trip. Had to lay over in Labelle since its a two day motoring trip across. There is a max height limit under one bridge of 49 feet. How tall is your mast above the water. Saw lots a gators and wildlife along the way. Its like going back in time. http://www.jacksmarine.net/caloosaha...river-info.pdf

I also have family in Slidel LA that I might be able to touch base with if we are near by. I have a great friend in Naples (Ft Meyers area) so if we need anything we can tap her for trips to West Marine or what ever. I know some great anchorages and cool little restaurants on the water in and around Sanibel & Captiva. Actually I have done the ICW from Tampa all the way down to Marco Island a couple times and some of the best shrimps can be found at cool little dockside restaurants along the way. Tampa bay bridge is a work of art and worth seeing if time allows.

The shortcut across FLA might saves a several days but scooting down through the Keys (Marathon) and up the Atlantic side or ICW is beautiful. Stuart is quite far north of Miami. Ft Myers to Marathon is an easy overnight. And if you are interested in seeing the Dry Tortugas & Key West, I have been there many times and its a sight to behold for a day or two. I really don't have any obligations and since I would be flying almost 6000 miles to get there, I don't mind exploring if you care to. But if you are in a tight time frame to complete the passage, that is OK with me as well. Visit the Dry Tortugas. Ferry Food Drinks Snorkel 100% Price Guarantee!

Prior to meeting up with you in Lake Charles, I will stop in north TX to take a look at a nice Islander 36 on a lake that I may want to buy. After the trip I will be spending time in Fort Meyers as my wife and I are looking to buy a place with gulf access and relocate back there. Margaret will then fly in to join me and visit her family in Orlando. So you see making this trip to Florida has been on my radar and throwing in a great sailing adventure along the way is perfect.

Tell me a little about your boat and what equipment concerns you have regarding a gulf crossing. Did you just purchase it and how old is the standing rigging. Does she have any type of auto pilot, electric or wind driven. Sure makes a difference if you don't have to steer all night long. If there isn't one on board, installing an inexpensive auto helm might be a good investment. Easy to install with a few nuts and bolts if its either tiller or wheel steered. It can get nasty out there and you are correct to complete this prior to the summer hurricane season. However I have seen some brisk northerly storms blast down and across the gulf. How many will be aboard the boat for this trip.

Well I suppose thats enough for now. I will check on some flights to see whats available. Anything else you would need form me to assist in your selection process for your crew. Mid March is right around the corner so best to keep the ball rolling since I'm so far away.

Chris L
Old 26-02-2012, 12:14   #8

Geeez! I lived in DeRidder for about 12 years and was in Lake Charles and on the water seems like every week! Went to McNeese, shopping and had Army Reserve drills there......and never knew you could get out of there without pulling the boat out!

Tags
miami