Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2016, 12:44   #16

Boat: Currently in between
Re: Lagoon 42 from France to Florida - short notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judyfood View Post
Knock it off you guys,. Since she is European, English is not her first language, so what if she made a 2' typo while communicating in your language, not the end of the world!
I wasn't snarky or nasty and I thought my questions were legit.

In Hania's defense I should have come on earlier and tell everyone I received a PM from her explaining what happened. She was thankful I pointed out the mistake in a nice way, she was polite, professional and came across as top-notch all the way.

I, in turn, respect her for her response and notice she took my questions in the way in which they were intended.

to Hania!
Old 07-09-2016, 14:31   #17

Hey Bacchus
Sorry if I was snarky to you! Glad you heard from Hania

Judyfood
Old 07-09-2016, 15:20   #18

Boat: Angus Primrose One design 45ft And Duncanson 34 Mk2

Id go for the rough weather ride if it wasnt in a catamaran. Ive always wanted to experience a hurricane. But preferably a proper ocean cruising mono hull with a deep keel.
Old 07-09-2016, 16:12   #19

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nauticalnomad View Post
Id go for the rough weather ride if it wasnt in a catamaran. Ive always wanted to experience a hurricane. But preferably a proper ocean cruising mono hull with a deep keel.
I hope that was in jest! Living in the Caribbean I've had too many of the dam things! I've also been at sea close to a couple in monos and cats.

They are nasty frightening things, regularly kill people and you really do not want to be anywhere near one...Tony
Old 09-09-2016, 03:41   #20

Boat: Fiber glass, sloop, Neptun 22, Germany

Hi Guys
I would like to ask you for some guidance regarding starting a career as a delivery skipper.At the moment I have only a RYA dayskipper and some years of leisure sailing on italian lakes.I would really need to make a first delivery as a deckhand but don't know where to start.Any advice is welcome. Best regards. Max
Old 09-09-2016, 09:12   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatwin70 View Post
Hi Guys
I would like to ask you for some guidance regarding starting a career as a delivery skipper.At the moment I have only a RYA dayskipper and some years of leisure sailing on italian lakes.I would really need to make a first delivery as a deckhand but don't know where to start.Any advice is welcome. Best regards. Max
Well, Max I think you'll find that most owners who entrust their boats to a delivery skipper would want to see Experience (ie lots of miles under your belt) and a much higher ticket than Day skipper. Insurance companies require the delivererer to have as a minimum, an Offshore skipper's ticket, some of them now require it to be commercially endorsed and all of them want you to have your STCW.

The only way to start in my view is to get yourself on as many deliveries as you can, with as many different skippers as possible. In this way you'll gather experience, mileage and also get in on the "network". Meanwhile,you are going to have to spend some money getting your higher level skipper's tickets.

A huge amount of delivery work (at least in my case!) is by word of mouth and recommendation. So - you are only as good as your last delivery!

It may sound glamorous - and sometimes it can be! But (never start a sentence with a preposition) getting started is brutal -and, as you can see from this thread - mostly unpaid!
Old 09-09-2016, 11:11   #22

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvimatelot View Post
Well, Max I think you'll find that most owners who entrust their boats to a delivery skipper would want to see Experience (ie lots of miles under your belt) and a much higher ticket than Day skipper. Insurance companies require the delivererer to have as a minimum, an Offshore skipper's ticket, some of them now require it to be commercially endorsed and all of them want you to have your STCW.

The only way to start in my view is to get yourself on as many deliveries as you can, with as many different skippers as possible. In this way you'll gather experience, mileage and also get in on the "network". Meanwhile,you are going to have to spend some money getting your higher level skipper's tickets.

A huge amount of delivery work (at least in my case!) is by word of mouth and recommendation. So - you are only as good as your last delivery!

It may sound glamorous - and sometimes it can be! But (never start a sentence with a preposition) getting started is brutal -and, as you can see from this thread - mostly unpaid!
The Brits may be an exception, but in my experience, insurance companies don't require formal training/certificates. I wouldn't waste my money on skipper's tickets. A record of successful deliveries and and recommendations are what counts, and gets you the word-of-mouth business.

Don't kid yourself about the glamour--most paid deliveries on the West Coast US are into the wind and seas. They fall into two major categories--race boats and recently purchased boats. The race boats are more uncomfortable, less likely to have autopilots and dodgers, but are generally much better maintained. The challenge in the recently purchased boats is that most of them have not been at sea in years, and you will spend your time fixing them.
Old 09-09-2016, 14:49   #23

Ahoj bvimatelot and donradcliffe,

thanks for your two cents. bvimatelot I am aware that I need to work my way up beginning from the bottom, I am not asking how to fast track to become a delivery skipper. I am just trying to figure out how to find unpaid position as a hand on delivery boats in order to build experience and miles.
regarding the tickets...well as far as I can see here in europe they boats owners and captains require mostly some RYA YM at least. Beside that I believe some extra knowlegde from those courses won't hurt
Old 09-09-2016, 15:22   #24

OK, Max, have a look at the crew web-sites and some European delivery company web-sites like PYD, Reliance, Halcyon and register with them. That should start you off!
Old 10-09-2016, 02:52   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvimatelot View Post
OK, Max, have a look at the crew web-sites and some European delivery company web-sites like PYD, Reliance, Halcyon and register with them. That should start you off!
thanks bvimatelot

Tags
florida, France, lagoon