Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 12:51   #1

Boat: Mason 44
KNOWLEDGEABLE GULF CAPTAIN

This is for a POSSIBLE cruise we are thinking of doing in beginning to mid June.
Currently we are getting ready to go from Tampa to Mobile, AL. (please see my other post in FL destinations)
We are a 44' Mason Cutter.

We may continue on to Kemah, TX either from Mobile or from Pensacola but our plans are a bit up in the air. We need to make this decision fairly soon - weather permitting - but we are looking to have an experienced and knowledgeable captain go with us for the second leg across the Gulf.

Anyone out there no someone or IS someone who has a lot of experience and knowledge making this crossing? Please let me know thoughts.

We have one Captain on hold for the trip but we are not sure if he will be able to do it.

As for other details:
There will be two guests on board and myself. The two guests have little to no sailing experience. One is an able bodied person - the other is very wise - but not able bodied. He is a very old doctor and ex Navy man. It will be myself and whichever Captain I hire plus the one able bodied guest as the 3 persons on watch.

Thanks!

TigerShark
Old 09-05-2013, 07:55   #2

Re: KNOWLEDGEABLE GULF CAPTAIN

TigerShark,

I've crossed the Gulf 3 times in my 36' trawler and have extensive sailing experience. I've owned 3 sailboats from 25' to 38' and have chartered in the Caribbean in sailboats up to 48'. My trawler was berthed on Clear Lake and I'd be interested in going on your cruise. However, I need to know more about your boat (safety equipment, electronics, sail condition, motor details & condition, mast height) and you and your crew. It is possible to go directly from Tampa to Mobile, however if your crew doesn't have a lot of sailing experience, it may be better to go via the GICW. I can propose possible routes for you with safety being the most important factor. Let me know.

Regards,

Steve

Tags
captain