Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2014, 18:06   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Key West to Sarasota Sometime in June

I’m single handing a CAL28 from Key West to Sarasota sometime in June. Planning an easy sail, no rhumbline; anchoring up somewhere every night. 5-7 days depending on weather.

The vessel is in great shape, but Otto the autopilot is on vacation, so she will need to be hand-steered the entire trip. That said, crew would need to have enough experience to trim a sail and tweak the course without supervision.

I have a LOT of time on the water, and am not looking for a paid expert or Captain ( I have my own 500GT ticket)… this trip is just for the adventure. Naturally, I’ll cover your groceries but transportation is on you.

The only other requirement is that you are a non-smoker.
Old 20-04-2014, 22:55   #2

Wink Re: Key West to Sarasota Sometime in June

May be interested depending on dates. Retired, 69 year old male, ASA 104. Not as fast as I once was but capable. 26' experience off shore So. California. 44' experience SVG. Nights on the hook are good. I probably snore, wife died sometime ago and not sure if I've outgrown that habit. Is 28' big enough or should I bring earplugs for you?
Old 22-04-2014, 05:59   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Key West to Sarasota Sometime in June

I retired from the Fire Dept…. I slept one night out of three in a room FULL of snoring men; I can deal with it!!!LOL I’ll keep you posted as time progresses, but right now, I’m looking at the first week of June… (depending on weather and the boatyard’s schedule getting the bottom job done). I’ll pass you my cell # by PM
Old 22-04-2014, 12:05   #4

Hello,
My name is Adam and I am nineteen years old from New Orleans. I would be thrilled to join you on this adventure and would be happy to cover some of the costs for groceries and other necessities. I have sailing experience and tried to get down to Key West last summer but got held up in Destin and because of time restraints had to go back to New Orleans sooner than expected. Please let me know your thoughts and I look forward to hearing back from you. Thanks so much.

Best Wishes,
Adam B.
Old 26-04-2014, 16:27   #5

Hi!
I'm interested in coming along. I'm 39, have mostly weekend sailing experience and would love to do the trip. I've got a 27 Catalina in Punta Gorda and I've been wanting to take her down to Key West and would really like the chance to do the trip in reverse with someone else.
Sounds like a great trip. I'm available during that time frame so let me know.
PM me or send me an email to tedjaltman at g mail.
Thanks
Old 26-04-2014, 19:13   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

She’s only a 28’er guys! Only room for me and ONE other!

I’ll keep y’all in mind, but Barefootin posted first, so he gets first refusal…

Right now, I am at the mercy of the boatyard as far as scheduling; we are getting hauled May 8th and just looking for a quicky bottom job, but as anyone knows (especially in the Keys) that can be anything from 2 days to 2 months on the hard. I’ll post up here as I know more.
Old 26-04-2014, 20:50   #7

Thanks!
Old 05-05-2014, 18:02   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just got word Barefootin is out with jury duty for that week.... and my timetable is getting a bit muddy as well; Boatyard called and said they'd be delayed for a "few days" hauling me due to a lift break down..... SIGH!

Last time I hauled it was supposed to be for two days.... the owner of the yard DROPPED DEAD of a heart attack, and the yard just closed for two weeks! At least I got a lot of boat WORK done that vacation!
Old 31-05-2014, 23:38   #9

First week of duty down - not assigned a trial yet! How's the bottom job going?
Old 09-06-2014, 05:06   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well, the boat performed flawlessly. My crew had an emergency develop at his home and had to bail on me. I went on alone for 8 more days...... 8 peaceful days. I am shopping for a new autopilot to replace the 28 year old one that went on the fritz, which made me look for crew in the first place.
Old 10-06-2014, 21:46   #11

Happy you made it. Sorry I couldn't help.

Tags
key west, sarasota