I'm a traveller who's been moving around for over a year and has had an urge to get into the sailing world. I few months back I was in the port of Buenos Airea and saw the boats out in the harbour and imagined what adventure it would be to sail, especially across the Atlantic.
I've read a bit of material online about sailing, mainly to get an idea of the reality of what it may be like and am really excited by the adventure.
I'm currently in Brazil
and have been making my way up north. Over the past few months, I've been trying to get into the sailing world by going to marinas
(Florianopolis, Itacare and Salvador) and chatting around with both locals and foreigners about sailing, their boats and trying to learn as much as possible. I've been offering to try and do any work
while docked to try and learn, though not much has come up.
Here in Salvador however, I met some great people and also managed to get a ride from here to Recife tonight. I'm very excited for my maiden voyage
I also met a *wonderful* South African couple who recently arrived to Brasil and will continue their way on, but in another direction. They invited my Argentine friend and I onto their boat
where we offered to prepare them lunch and my Argentine friend threw a marvellous feast. It was a lovely day, never to be forgotten. My new South African friend also taught me some knots
So anecdote aside, my plans are to hopefully sail across the Atlantic from Brazil
. From what I've been told, it may be a bit difficult because the trip would be more commonly done in the winter months because of the winds heading up north. Though always worth the try (also my new South African mate told me to use these forums
as I might have more luck). If it involves making my way to the Carribean then head
off from there, I'd happy to try and work
A bit about me:
- Speaks Spanish (parents are Argentine) and Portuguese. My Italian is limited because it's clouded by my current
- 24 years old
- Worked in the IT world, though I've been freelancing over the past year to be able to travel around the world - which i consider my first job
- Sharp, quick learner and can adapt to new surroundings
- No stranger to small spaces and sharing them
- Aware that there may be costs involved, and more than happy to contribute where necessary
- Interesting in hearing and sharing stories
- Really enjoy music
and have plenty to share. Travelling around with an instrument called a charango (Google it) and am doing my best to learn as much as possible with it. Please don't expect a grand concert though, just some tunes to chill with
- Will have completed a sail (leaving today) to Recife, so limited experience
- Have tried out diving
and ended up doing advanced certification
. LOVED it, Would like to do more diving
- Enjoy some surfing. I have a board with me but I'm sure I'll have to ditch it in order to cross the Atlantic
I'm available now and would love any information or help, be it advice or references
, in order to achieve this.
P.S My Argentine friend also got very intrigued by sailing after spending a day on the South African couples boat
. He is very interested in going back to Argentina
sailing if possible. His English
is limited, but he's a fantastic cook and no stranger to hard work.