Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 18:35   #1

Boat: Hudson Force 50
Join the Witchdoctor for a Circumnavigation.

Hello All,
I am looking for two crewmembers to join me for a circumnavigation in my Hudson Force 50. We leave Hawaii in March of 2014. We will sail through the South Pacific to Australia, to South Africa, the Atlantic to the Caribbean (working hard to avoid West Africa), through the Panama Canal, back through the South Pacific and up to Hawaii and spending a much needed vacation in Bora Bora. Have you got a special place you want to see that is on that track? Then let’s go there? I can be talked into a few excursions along the way. I plan for the trip to take about 2 years or more.
Crew Requirements: First of all, you need to have a friendly personality. Drama is no one’s friend at sea. That is even more important than sailing experience. I took two men with me from California to Hawaii; they were not highly experienced crew, but they were great company and were able to learn what to do at sea. Sailing experience would be preferred, but we will take a week or two to train before leaving on the voyage. We will practice basics as well as practice man overboard recovery techniques and vessel maneuvering. Crew will be expected to maintain a three hour watch without falling asleep. Additionally, crew can expect to assist in all aspects of the boat life including cooking, assisting with preventive maintenance and repair, painting and cleaning. Crew is expected to share all costs equally; plan on a budget of 600.00 per month. Finally, preference will be given to friendly people who can commit to a duration of six months or more.
About the boat: The Witchdoctor II is a 1973 Hudson Force 50 sailing ketch. I completed a major retrofit last year and in May, I sailed her to Hawaii after completing the shakedown from San Francisco to San Diego. The boat has two private state rooms and three queen beds (the couch in the salon opens to a queen bed). The boat has all of the basics including radar, GPS, weatherfax, autopilot, 20 GPH watermaker, 7.3 KW genset (we can power a small city), ham and SSB long range radio, EPIRB x 2, SpotFinder, Air to Ground UHF radio, VHF with DSC and AIS receiver. The head has a separate large shower. The forward crew quarters have been converted to a bathroom with a huge bath tub with unlimited hot water via a tankless propane water heater and it is perfect when in port or at anchor (assuming the water is flat). The boat has an excellent galley with 3 burner stove and oven. The refrigerator and freezer are large so that we can prepare many excellent meals before a long passage. I always eat well when at sea and I usually carry a stock of ice cream. The boat also comes with an ice maker and two blenders (my last crew threatened to mutiny when the blender broke and we had to drink our margaritas on the rocks rather than blended). The boat is a pilot house ketch with a helm station inside and outside. Watch is usually performed from inside and away from inclement weather.
About the Captain:
Years Sailing 10
Blue Water Experience: Yes
Current Occupation: Professional Mariner – Rating: Medical Officer

I have been sailing for more than a decade. I started with a 34 Hunter in San Francisco Bay and then worked my way up to the Hudson Force 50 four years ago. I did all the repairs (with some professional help when needed) and I know every inch of the Witchdoctor. Things break and I fix them. I keep plenty of spare parts and usually order two more when I replace one. Safety is always my first concern. I have canceled trips and delayed departures to fix items related to safety or to avoid dangerous weather. I am never interested in sailing in a storm. If you get hurt, I can fix you and have plenty of medical supplies on the boat. I enjoy a relaxed atmosphere and I am rarely in a hurry. I take the safety of the crew as my personal responsibility. If you sail with me, you will return home safe. However, if I do it right, you will not have any exciting stories about dangers on the sea. My last crew returned home from a Hawaii passage with not much more to say other than it was relaxed and they arrived in Hawaii well rested. I am not a sailor who can maximize every knot of the boat and sail, but I know how to keep the boat and crew safe and I can manage any emergency at sea. If you want to have fun and be safe at sea, you want to sail with me.

Best contact is via e-mail. I am currently at sea in the Atlantic. e-mail me at: medicrene at yahoo dot com. Tell me about yourself and your experience.
Old 03-08-2013, 18:55   #2

I'm a 30 year old, athletic, good looking and well presented male. I have been sailing my entire life and I am eager to get out of the corporate world and set sail in some worldly adventures. I am well traveled and cultured and would be an asset on any trip. I am advanced in my skill level at most water sports and nimble on land as well. I cook very well, can handle/assist on all duties required aboard most vessels. If you are in need of a fun loving, awesome guy, to add to your manifest I'd love to add to your adventures. I'm happy to help with boat relocation as well as deliveries, etc, but I am mainly interested in some long trips aboard monohulls or cat/trimarans. Please feel free to contact me with any and all questions you may have for me. I am currently located in NYC, but I am obviously more than happy to travel.

All my best,

Stuart
Stuartwilhelm@gmail.com
Old 06-08-2013, 14:06   #3

Re: Join the Witchdoctor for a Circumnavigation.

Sounds awesome. I am a 19yr old with a basic Bareboat Cruising license. Looking to help aboard a sailboat for a few months.
Let me know if you need a skipper!

Please email me at ferrao.elizabeth@gmail.com.
-Elizabeth Ferrao
Old 06-08-2013, 15:52   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eferrao View Post
Sounds awesome. I am a 19yr old with a basic Bareboat Cruising license. Looking to help aboard a sailboat for a few months.
Let me know if you need a skipper!

Please email me at ferrao.elizabeth@gmail.com.
-Elizabeth Ferrao
I am the skipper. I need crew. :-)
Old 12-08-2013, 20:01   #5

My name is Shawn Kenville. I'm 26 from San Diego. I'm strong in the water and I have two years of sailing experience on a 25 foot macgreggor in mission bay. I'll be done with work in the new year. Taking off in march sounds perfect to me. I don't think I can afford to go on the whole trip, but I could definitely commit to six months with out any problems. I'd be more than willing to help with planning or prepping. Please feel free to email me with any questions.

failedmusician@gmail.com
Old 14-08-2013, 05:57   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to BroadReach

Hi, This sounds like a great trip, a fantastic opportunity, and I'd very much appreciate being considered for the crew list. PM sent with details. Hope our schedules and so on are compatible. All the best with it. David.
Old 14-08-2013, 06:47   #7

Hi, I would be very interested in joining you for part of the journey. You can contact me at shaunnel.plett@gmail.com if this suites you.

Regards
Shaun Nel
Old 23-09-2013, 07:03   #8

Hello all,

This trip has been put on hold. It looks like I will be taking the boat back to San Francisco in October.

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation