Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2012, 21:10   #1
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'
In Panama, now

Anyone want to come to the tropics and crew on my boat?

Coming up is an experience of a lifetime, transiting the Panama Canal from the Atlantic to the Pacific. Other itinerary TBD may include the idyllic tropical isles of the San Blas (Kuna Yala), the jungle covered Archipeligo of Las Perlas in the Bahia de Panama, and the rainforest wonderland of Costa Rica.

I sail a 36 ft Canadian Sailcraft (CS36T) blue water capable cruiser. To find out more about me and my boat, look me up here on CF as "flysci", or PM me and I'll give you a whole description. I cannot pay you a salary, but all expenses on the boat - food, fuel, dockage, repairs, customs, etc - are paid for by me. You would need to get yourself to the boat and home again, though in certain cases I may be able to help with your transportation. I have a cat on board, and don't allow smoking on the boat.

Please email me if you are interested in coming along and you can get away to Panama starting about 1 to 2 weeks from now.

Ciao, Margo

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
Old 19-06-2012, 15:32   #2

Re: In Panama, now

definitely interested. 434 865 9924. email me @ : ]pmwchef[at]yahoo.com.
Old 20-06-2012, 12:00   #3

Interested call 386 793 0732 email williamfb-at-aol-dot-com
Old 20-06-2012, 12:11   #4

Boat: 1990 Caliber 38

I crewed for Margo through part of the Exumas in Dec 2010 - Jan 2011 for an all too short 10 days and had a good time. If I weren't busy getting moved aboard my own boat and making necessary repairs and modifications I be on a plane now for this trip.
Old 20-06-2012, 19:22   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'
Re: In Panama - postponed

This trip has now been postponed until September. Discovery of a transmission problem means another wait for parts of unknown length. So I will take the time to visit my kids stateside.
But come Sept, I will be looking for crew to help me through the canal, and to explore Central America. So watch this space!
Thanks to all who responded, I truly appreciate your interest.
Fair winds,
Margo

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
Old 01-08-2012, 10:29   #6

Hi Margo,
i am very interested in your post! i am currently volunteerring in the Galapagos islands and have been travelling around South America for the last 6 months. i plan to make my way up to colombia, panama and central America in the next couple of months and your offer seems like the oppurunity of a lifetime!
i haven´t had much experience sailing, but i am a water lover, am fit, strong and healthy and apply myself to whatever i do! i am also great in the kitchen, am a qualified physiotherspist and first aid and life saver trained. i am easy going and fun to be around and am not afraid of hard work! if you would like to contact me feel free to send me an email, i would love to hear from you!
kind regards
linsey
linsey.rankin*at*live*dot*com.au
Old 01-08-2012, 18:11   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to jasonk

Hi Margo,

Yeah, that's a great opportunity to learn, especially for those of us who are thirsty for knowledge and need documented sea time.

Please email me, and I'll send my info and some pics. I'm off in a few days to do a trial sail with a Captain who is sailing from New England to the Keys. If he selects me, then I'll be with him till the end of October. You'll have crew by then, and I'll have missed the amazing canal transit, but you might need crew in the future on some other great adventure?

Jason
Toronto, Canada
416 698 9356
jasonkyriakou at hotmail dot com
Old 07-08-2012, 04:51   #8

Hi Margo,

Im Interested in the trip if you still have any spots available. email me @ thebrenmeister AT gmail DOT com

Stephen
Ireland
Old 07-08-2012, 05:56   #9

Hi, Margo, I've already posted to let you know that I'll be available if you require crew for future trips, especially if you do another run through the Panama Canal. I've just finished doing a series of videos, specifically to show Captains who I am, and one of the many ways that I could contribute as a crewmember. Although I am no longer a working Chef, and want to definitely take part in the piloting and navigation, I'm more than happy to take on a good part of the on-board cooking If all goes well, I'll be on a 1500 mile trip on another sailboat til around November. I might stay on with this Captain a bit longer, but I'll have to head back to Toronto before the six-month limit. Part of this trip that I'm doing involves much-needed experience navigating in congested, high-traffic areas (intra-coastal Waterway), but I also need to acquire blue water time too. The link for my videos is

which will take you to my first video. From there you can get to my youtube channel. I only had a couple of days to do them because I had to prepare to leave Toronto for Connecticut today. As a formally trained Chef, I know how to prepare a lot more than just Indian Cuisine. Unfortunately, I'm not a formally trained cooking show host But I sure had fun doing the vids. If that link doesn't work, simply google "quacamole with veritas mariner," and you'll get to that first video.

Regards to all and happy sailing.
Jason
Toronto, Canada
jasonkyriakou at hotmail dot com
Old 07-08-2012, 06:04   #10

Whoa, that was really unexpected. oops. I hope I'm not breaking any cruiserforum rules. I really and truly had no idea whatsoever that the video would automatically upload like that. Apologies to any forum members if this is an intrusion.

In fact, I'm kinda going, "why on Earth did it take me over an hour to upload to youtube and it only took seconds here on cruiserforum?!" Weird.

Jason
Old 07-08-2012, 20:02   #11

My resumed is listed under user name "remesnab" Just nreturned from Panama to meet a boat who decided to leave without me. My time is flexible as to your schedule. You will read and see what I have to offer. Look forward to your response.

Regards, Bruce
Old 07-08-2012, 21:53   #12

Re: In Panama - postponed

Hello,
I am very interested in joining your crew. I believe september would work out perfectly for me. I have limited experience sailing, but have my 100ton USCG license as well as PADI open water scuba instructor. Looking to get away for a while and gain some experience. My email is skeeterxxi at Gmail dot com. Let me know if I can be of assistance. Thanks!
Old 12-08-2012, 20:12   #13

hi i will be in panama around the 30th sept .
currently in Roatan
would really like to talk about the passage and availability.
this is a good opportunity, I need to experience different sailing boats before committing to buying my own again. i am thirsty to learn all i can and want to be able to become a capable skipper.

i am 43, fit, i love diving and adventure. time is no constraint.

im trying to get down to Ecuador one day. no rush though

Tags
Panama