Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2015, 19:54   #1

In Airlie Beach - Destination, anywhere north please

G'day all,

I've been introduced to this site by a friend who thought it a good way to get my plans out there, and perhaps secure passage with a friendly cruiser.

I set off from Tasmania with my car almost two months ago now. The ferry up to Melbourne and have then meandered my way up to Airlie Beach, Queensland.
A couple of months ago I quit my job and have decided that now is the time to embark on a journey that I've been toying with for over ten years now - I'm off to do a full lap of the world. Without stepping onto an aeroplane.
There is no time-frame or plan for this adventure, two/three years. Hopefully more. I'm open to any route at all.

So at the moment I've washed up in Airlie Beach, and life seems pretty good here. I plan to sell my car soon and I'm actively seeking to work my passage on a yacht, to anywhere north of here really. Which I suppose would mean S.E. Asia as the main destination. Micronesia, the Solomon Islands etc is very appealing too.

I'm a 35 year old, non-smoker, fit and able bodied, who has spent most of his career working on the water. Operating power craft, and diesel powered work boats no bigger than 14m. I have my current NSCV coxwain's, with diesel endorsement. I have approx 2.5 years commercial dive work under my belt too, although I haven't dived for a few years now.
I grew up in the Shetland Islands, so I have fair experience with being out, and being comfortable enough working in severe weather.
Sailing wise, I have some experience with this. The last time being a week ago, when I was away on my mate's yacht from the Gold Coast for three weeks. Up to Fraser and Moreton Islands and back again.

I understand that there may be very few crusier's heading north at this time of year, it being close to cyclone season. Which is fine really as I have no timeframe to be anywhere. At all.
My expectations would be to find someone who is looking for someone to pull their weight on-board their vessel, taking shifts, cooking and general upkeep of the boat. I'm confident that you would find me a relaxed and good natured soul.

Any pointers or help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Jonno
Old 22-10-2015, 01:18   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: In Airlie Beach - Destination, anywhere north please

Jonno, we can't help 'cause we will be heading from New Caledonia to... Tassie for the summer. But you sound like good crew to me, and I hope that you can find a great berth on a north bound cruiser. But as you noted, not the best time of year...
Good luck,

Jim
Old 22-10-2015, 18:03   #3

Re: In Airlie Beach - Destination, anywhere north please

Jim,

thank you for taking the time to reply to me. Yes, I don't think that I'm ready to return to Tassie just yet! What a great place to spend the summer though. Hopefully you get the opportunity to anchor up in Port Davey, I never did get the chance to go there. Bruny Island and Recherche Bay are great spots too if you haven't been before.

Yes indeed, I didn't exactly factor the cyclone season and time of year into it when I quit my job - not at the forefront of my mind! As I said, the timeframe is no real issue for me, so I'm starting to think about getting a position on a sailing charter out of Airlie for the summer, and wait until someone passes through.

All the best,
Jonno

- Apologies for folks reading this post again. I posted this twice in two different forums.

Tags
destination, lease