Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2014, 10:27   #16

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft
Re: I need a Sailboat Delivered-From Nassau

I am not sure if this will help. I read the OP's eBay link. The "previous owner" sailed this boat from Florida to Bahamas not too long ago. I assume the previous is from U.S. and the boat is registered in U.S.

But I could be wrong, I am out of here. Please continue.
Old 04-03-2014, 17:07   #17

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

The OP should know that the boat - if it is a USCG Documented vessel - and it is currently in a foreign country under a cruising permit from the Bahamas that things will get complicate quickly.

Change in ownership, I am pretty sure, will void the Bahamian cruising permit and since a sale might be construed as taking place there, the Bahamas may have some tax interests that need to be satisfied before the boat can be moved.

But at least there needs to be plenty of documents attesting to the permission of the "delivery captain" to take over the vessel from the recorded owner with the Bahamian authorities.

I would suppose the boat is either in a marina or in a boatyard and not just "anchored out" somewhere since reference was made to a possible professional survey being done on the boat.

Even without hiring a professional captain, the OP needs to be aware that it is unlikely that the marina or boatyard will release the vessel without proper documents as to who actually owns the vessel.

And a new cruising permit for the boat and immigration documents (visa) for the new owner will have to be executed for this operation to remain legal. If the OP is opting to "spirit" the boat out of the Bahamas without proper documentation of ownership and proper certification of the new captain (the OP or somebody else) to transfer from "tourist" entry via airline to exit via private vessel - then good luck. There are two hurdles in that scenario, first the Bahamian authorities and then legal entry back into the USA for boat and crew with US Customs and Immigration.

But I am sure that all these considerations have been considered and addressed adequately by the OP before he transferred any money to the previous owner for something he may not be able to take physical possession.
Old 04-03-2014, 17:57   #18

This guy’s pissin into the wind. I asked by PM he send the “Survey” >>> Nothing<<<
Before you can work out the above mentioned details the seaworthiness of the boat needs to be somewhat verified. He’ll probably find a hop head in the key’s that’s use to flying under the radar to bring it back. If caught he’ll be out his E-Bay money and a boat.

Mark Twain
Old 04-03-2014, 18:13   #19

What's that famous quote from P.T. Barnum about the abundance of people willing to do almost anything? If you don't ask, you won't get one of them . . .
Old 04-03-2014, 20:28   #20

You guys are bringing up some valid concerns. However, it's a bit disturbing to see people attributing poor motives to the OP's request.

I have no idea if he is on the up and up but he should be given the benefit of the doubt, no?
Old 04-03-2014, 21:41   #21

I just bought a boat in a foreign country but I don't have a passport can somebody bring it back - syndrome???

While driving to Key West.

OK, OK, not a scam, but sure sounds close.

How can we help, since pms make no one on this public forum available to those messages.

Good luck.

On your new boat.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 04-03-2014, 22:22   #22

Boat: Various

I also wonder if US duty has been paid on the boat. Many boats are sold outside the US because it hasn't been. But as a US citizen importing it he'll need to.

They e-bay add said would deliver so something changed there.

A captain being asked to do this without the purchaser on board is assuming tremendous risk. He doesn't know whether it's all legitimate. This isn't saying the seller or OP is trying to do anything wrong, just stating that a captain getting on it alone undertakes 100% of any risk.
Old 04-03-2014, 22:50   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
You guys are bringing up some valid concerns. However, it's a bit disturbing to see people attributing poor motives to the OP's request.

I have no idea if he is on the up and up but he should be given the benefit of the doubt, no?
As BandB concluded, the list of possible complications is not really being posted for the OP's benefit but for a reader who might possibly be thinking about taking this job offer.
Old 04-03-2014, 23:19   #24

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
As BandB concluded, the list of possible complications is not really being posted for the OP's benefit but for a reader who might possibly be thinking about taking this job offer.
Well, even giving the OP the benefit of the doubt, it would be to his benefit by pointing out things he might not have considered. Boat gets seized along way or gives out at sea or arrives with substantial costs or fines would not benefit him either.

But the individual initially at risk and responsible is the one taking the boat, moving it across and entering.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:59   #25
Marine Service Provider

Perhaps the op will provide some more details. .. for everyone's benefit.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:37   #26

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

All the original poster asked for was a delivery captain. Why are all these people who don't have a clue what they are talking about chiming in?! All the comments about Bahamian Laws, seizures, and releases tell me that these are folks who have never sailed in a foreign country. Give the guy a break.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:56   #27

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: I need a Sailboat Delivered-From Nassau

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
... But the individual initially at risk and responsible is the one taking the boat, moving it across and entering.
I suspect this is the one aspect of this can o worms that the OP has considered carefully.

Still, I'm impressed at the willingness to gamble 20, or 30, even $40K (or WAY more) on an unseen vessel by a guy texting on the turnpike. Guy is a player fer sure. Good buddy of mine spent 10 years at Club Fed. One day he's flying high, the next: not so much.

I'd bet the NSA/DEA connection will be on site very soon to observe this scene. This would have been easier to handle one-on-one in KW. Quietly.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:58   #28

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

A question for the OP. If the previous owner was from the US and sailed the boat to the Bahamas (as noted in another post) why did he not sail it back to the US to sell it? Would have made everything much easier.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:42   #29

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

It would probably be much better and easier to get the previous owner of the boat to issue a notarized letter saying that the delivery skipper has his permission to take the boat from the Bahamas to the US, then complete the sales transaction in the US.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:49   #30

Boat: 1981 Flicka 20

Sounds like the vessel may have 6000#s of Cocaine as ballast.

Tags
nassau, sail, sailboat