Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 09:14   #1

Help getting to Panama

I am attempting to ride my bicycle to as many places in the world as possible. I am currently in San Diego, CA (after leaving Alabama last November), and am wanting to travel to Panama and take Spanish Language Immersion classes. I am hoping someone (here) might be able to help me find a boat to hitch a ride on (any combination of pay/work for said ride).

I attempted to ride into Mexico, but was knocked off the road and hassled by some not-so-friendly people. Decided that I would by-pass Mexico, improve my Spanish - then continue into South America. Unfortunately, I have no sailing experience, but am a fast learner and willing to work as hard as is required.

I've researched flying to Panama City, but transporting my cycle would be extremely expensive. Looking for someone who would transport me and my bike, one-way, to Panama City, Panama.

If you would like to learn more about my journey/ride, let me know and I'll provide a link to my website.

Any thoughts/offers would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 05-04-2013, 10:43   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Help getting to Panama

You're at the wrong time of year for boats leaving San Diego. Most south bound boats leave late Oct/early Nov. Spend the winter season in Mexico and then continue onto CA in the spring. Hurricane season starts up soon.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:58   #3

Thanks Paul,
It's all about timing isn't it.

I'm looking at all options, so hopefully others will respond with additional information. I'll get there somehow.
Old 07-04-2013, 18:23   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Central America in general is not a very bike friendly place in terms of the roads etc. Although, I do see people doing it. Passed a few bikers on our recent road trip from Guatemala to Panama.

If you are not dead set on biking it then there are lots of transport options.

Since it is not the best time for cruising boats, you might check out hopping a freighter. Some do take passengers.
Old 07-04-2013, 21:42   #5

Boat: Caliber 40

Taking a bicycle on a sailboat is a big deal and real hassle. I am a very serious cyclist and have carried a mountain bike and road bike on my 40' boat for much of the time during the last 18 years. Those two bikes, in their water tight soft cases that protect them from salt air corrosion, take up 1/2 the guest sleeping area.

My shoes, helmet, pumps, hydration pack, tools, also take a lot of room.

You could not carry a bike on deck in the passage down the Baja Coast or across to the Mexican mainland. It would be constantly soaked in salt water.

It would be a very large or unusual sailboat that would have room for a guest and bicycle.

I've done a lot of riding in Baja California and have had no problems.

I live on my boat in San Diego with my four bicycles and ride every day if you want to talk more with someone about your idea.
Old 07-04-2013, 22:24   #6

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

They do have Trains in Mexico, Im sure if ya checked it out you might find what your looking for. a way to get further down in Mexico where you might have a better trip of it ! just a thought
Old 08-04-2013, 13:03   #7

Thanks for all the useful information. I have decided to fly down to Panama and take a Spanish Immersion course, then fly back. I should be more comfortable with the Spanish language, so I'll then head into Mexico in early May. I have been told about the train or bus options, so I know I have that as an option if needed. TacomaSailor, I may take you up on that offer to talk, once I get back and start getting ready to get back to cycling. I'll arrive back on May 2nd.

Thanks again, everyone.

Tags
Panama