Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2016, 16:47   #1

Going To Need Skipper From Where I Find My Boat to Portugal or Kerala

I have not got it yet, so I can't give a precise time frame just yet.

And depending on what VISA India will grant me, I'll either need to park it there or in Portugal.

- I'd certainly cover food and airfare.
- I will be a diligent deck hand
- You could check out the boat ahead of time and list anything you'd want changed / added / fixed for safety and easy operation. Making sure the radar can trigger an alarm etc.

If you're interested and flexible with time or have any other comments, please give me a shout
Old 04-11-2016, 17:04   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Going To Need Skipper From Where I Find My Boat to Portugal or Kerala

The following is offered in a friendly tone of voice to help you.

You don't mention where your boat would start.

A Departure Port or area is important and time is important (and remember "Time is Money") to Professional Delivery Captains and Delivery Crew.

Professional Delivery Captains and Crew have a responsibility to the owners of the boat, and the Captain to his Crew. To expect them to take on that responsibility for just airfare and food is not fair or reasonable, in my opinion.

And obviously there is a big distance between Portugal and Kerala (India).

So, my suggestion is: Wait until you have your boat acquired before lining up your delivery captain and crew. Everything about delivery of boats can change depending upon season, boat condition, weather, and availability (or other paying delivery jobs).

Paying a carefully selected and experienced Delivery Captain and Crew is a surer way of getting better service, a safer voyage if you go along, and less risk of expensive damage to your boat.

Hope that helps.

As with anything related to boats, this is just one opinion. Naturally others may have a different one.
Old 04-11-2016, 17:23   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by n13L5 View Post

And depending on what VISA India will grant me, I'll either need to park it there or in Portugal.

- You could check out the boat ahead of time and list anything you'd want changed / added / fixed for safety and easy operation. Making sure the radar can trigger an alarm etc.

If you're interested and flexible with time or have any other comments, please give me a shout

You should probably ask the mods to move this for you to Crew Wanted.

FWIW, Boatman 61 (CF Google Special Search, under the search menu) is a delivery skipper, who I believe is based in Portugal. Check him out and see if you think there's a possible fit, there.

Ann
Old 04-11-2016, 18:46   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to CharlesFCook

Quote:

Anyone who would do this for "- I'd certainly cover food and airfare." Is suspect. Really even, "Captain Ron" would expect to get paid something. Best case you will get a nut job that you won't want to go to sea with or die at sea with. Worse case a drug/person smuggler that gets everyone locked up and the boat confiscated.

If it is too good to be true it probably is !!!
Old 04-11-2016, 20:22   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesFCook View Post

Anyone who would do this for "- I'd certainly cover food and airfare." Is suspect. Really even, "Captain Ron" would expect to get paid something. Best case you will get a nut job that you won't want to go to sea with or die at sea with. Worse case a drug/person smuggler that gets everyone locked up and the boat confiscated.

If it is too good to be true it probably is !!!
LOL that sounds terrible.

I didn't come up with the scheme, this is what is suggested on Findacrew.net, where most people do it for the trip and for-hire professionals mostly seem to do the bigger yachts.

They say very simply, that professional skippers are insanely expensive and that there's enough skippers without boat, that will do it for the sailing, as long as you treat them well, feed them well and cover all related expenses. I do not believe they are all nutjobs.

I think there's a lot less nutjobs than Hollywood leads us to expect. And the most dangerous nutjobs are already tied up in Government.

Granted, at the same time, that they can and do exist. But how is it guaranteed that someone who charges a pretty penny isn't a nut job? He may know how to cut your throat equally as well as he knows how to sail your boat.

And you'd not just up and push off with anyone, without registering that fact somewhere.

Still, that said, I'm not rejecting your advice. Risks should be minimized as much as possible.

I just don't even have any idea how much you're looking at per day of travel... This forum is giving me a very quick and intense education! For that, I thank you all. You beat Google by a long shot ^^

Old 04-11-2016, 21:24   #6

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

You're looking for a Captain to safely move your boat. For that responsibility, knowledge and time, money will be need to be exchanged.

If you were acting as the skipper, doing the work and taking responsibility, then unpaid crew can be found.

Matt
Old 05-11-2016, 03:42   #7

As I have been a skipper for more than 50 years, I am in a position I give 25% of my annual time for free, but who that goes to will depend on their situation.

I, too, use FindACrew, but you do it as a Premium or paid verified member if you want to be taken seriously. I use the paid verified member and I must say that I am very happy with the boat owners who contact me.

As another on this thread has already mentioned. If there is a skipper looking for crew, there are many that will want to crew on a cost sharing or unpaid basis, but to obtain a skipper on the basis of no pay for the time on board, is a no no. I have a maritime law background and the responsibilities placed on a skipper, not the owner, are enormous.

As for where you want the boat to go to: Within the EU, of course, if the skipper is European or someone with a Schengen visa. For India, you do need a full visa, like the US and that does mean a visit to an Indian Embassy. You are going to need an airline ticket already issued back to your country of origin (passport country).

Finally, to cover the skipper, he does need Professional Skippers Liability Insurance. The insurance cover is designed to protect your individual legal liability in the event that you are held responsible for damage/injury arising from your activities as, or in the course of, your paid work as a professional freelance skipper.

If the skipper undertakes your job and not paid, he is deemed in this context not to be undertaking this job as a professional - his insurance will cover it. The onus is then placed on the owner to not only explain this to his yacht's insurers but also to any authority should there be a claim of any type.

This subject is too complex for here, but as the way of the world people just get on and do it, until there is an issue and then it gets ugly.

One last thought. Placing writs on masts is still a legal form, when making a claim on a boat owner. Food for thought for skippers that are contracted to get paid and the owner defaults on paying. The mechanism is simple if you have a contract. You see it in the commercial world of shipping, but it is no less a method for yachts and especially super yachts and why you see many on the market!

Have a good weekend all
Old 05-11-2016, 05:17   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoema View Post
As I have been a skipper for more than 50 years, I am in a position I give 25% of my annual time for free, but who that goes to will depend on their situation.

I, too, use FindACrew, but you do it as a Premium or paid verified member if you want to be taken seriously. I use the paid verified member and I must say that I am very happy with the boat owners who contact me.

As another on this thread has already mentioned. If there is a skipper looking for crew, there are many that will want to crew on a cost sharing or unpaid basis, but to obtain a skipper on the basis of no pay for the time on board, is a no no. I have a maritime law background and the responsibilities placed on a skipper, not the owner, are enormous.

As for where you want the boat to go to: Within the EU, of course, if the skipper is European or someone with a Schengen visa. For India, you do need a full visa, like the US and that does mean a visit to an Indian Embassy. You are going to need an airline ticket already issued back to your country of origin (passport country).

Finally, to cover the skipper, he does need Professional Skippers Liability Insurance. The insurance cover is designed to protect your individual legal liability in the event that you are held responsible for damage/injury arising from your activities as, or in the course of, your paid work as a professional freelance skipper.

If the skipper undertakes your job and not paid, he is deemed in this context not to be undertaking this job as a professional - his insurance will cover it. The onus is then placed on the owner to not only explain this to his yacht's insurers but also to any authority should there be a claim of any type.

This subject is too complex for here, but as the way of the world people just get on and do it, until there is an issue and then it gets ugly.

One last thought. Placing writs on masts is still a legal form, when making a claim on a boat owner. Food for thought for skippers that are contracted to get paid and the owner defaults on paying. The mechanism is simple if you have a contract. You see it in the commercial world of shipping, but it is no less a method for yachts and especially super yachts and why you see many on the market!

Have a good weekend all
Sage advice!
Old 05-11-2016, 09:15   #9
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

what kind of boat are we talking about? Will there be any other experienced crew aboard?

good luck
Old 05-11-2016, 10:31   #10

Ditto what others have said about paid & volunteer skippers. Just for covering expenses you are much less likely to get a first rate skipper. They will almost universally expect to be paid. And should be. For worthy causes (sail training vessels, tall ships, etc.) I sometimes discount my rates, and have done some work pro bono for family & friends, but while I have been fortunate to have chosen work I love, it's work nonetheless, and how I make much of my living.
Presuming the boat you'll buy will be a major investment, you don't want to trust it to a second rate captain. Which segues to another point - even with the captain's compensation covered at more or less standard rates, one worth his salt will not agree to the job until he or she knows a lot more about the boat, departure and arrival ports, budget (beyond salary or fee) and time of year for the voyage. I suggest posting again when you have more of your ducks in a row.
When you do, you'll want to be able to distinguish between captains - look at their experience, professionalism, and references from others for whom they have done similar work. Resume is a start, but do check those references.
Good luck with your boat shopping.
Old 05-11-2016, 18:54   #11

N13L5, based on 20+ years of world cruising, I think CharlesFCook is correct, anyone who would take your offer as posted would probably be some kind of nut job. The operative word is "probably". There may be exceptions, but they would be few and far between. Professional delivery captains are not "insanely expensive" they are usually worth every penny they make. And the old rule certainly applies, "You get what you pay for."
Old 06-11-2016, 04:19   #12

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

FWIW. I've spent 15 of the last 26 years in India and I've often thought about where I could have/leave/store/moor a boat in India. And with a lot of research I found that, to be even reasonably safe, the only place that was a possibility was The Royal Bombay Yacht Club.....possibly!
Re Kerala, if you've spent lots of time on the coast you'd understand why for me to leave a boat at Kerala I'd have to install a really tough resident/indigenous caretaker on board who can never ever leave the boat unattended even for an hour. Which means that the caretaker would need a gopher/minder on call at all times......and there are no guarantees of any kind!!

I love all of India and its people but if I sailed there I would never be able to leave the boat and in addition I would have to re-hone my M16/other armament skills. Or something.
I haven't been on "The Royal's Marina" but me tinks that it would be seriously risky.

Why Kerala? ANYWHERE in India would make Pattaya waterfront look like a kindergarten.
Otherwise, I know nothing.
Europe:India....chalk and cheese.
Others may advise more competently, we'll see.
Cheers Brian.
Old 06-11-2016, 04:31   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Going To Need Skipper From Where I Find My Boat to Portugal or Kerala

I can understand Kerala.. the Venice of India with its many waterways.. and.. within easy striking distance of Sri Lanka..
Tho' I think I'd want a lift keel or catamaran for greater access.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 12-11-2016, 14:54   #14

Quote:

Take a look Sr. on my CV,
Have a good day
Old 16-11-2016, 03:57   #15
Marine Service Provider

Pm sent!

Tags
Portugal, skipper