Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2012, 17:20   #1

Going South, First Mate needed

Hi sailors and friends! I am presently posting again due to a change of heart.
Originally I was requesting a sailing mate for the Western Caribbean run, but serious concerns for the safety of Americans in many Central American Countries have changed my intentions. I am not going to risk the security, and life, not only mine, but that of those with me. I am now listed in south Florida waiting to get a First Mate to sail into the Bahamas, Dominican Rep., and going further south. Possibly Brazil... Person wanting to join me can also do so for short legs. Something like two to three weeks. Arrangements are the traditional ones. Candidate must have off-shore experience, navigation, and deck experience. Loyalty to the boat will win my heart! Sailing very soon, so fix your sea bag, and contact me fast. I will advance all information regarding boat, owner, etc. Car
Old 17-02-2012, 17:54   #2

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: Going South, First Mate needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by car romer View Post
Hi sailors and friends! I am presently posting again due to a change of heart.
Originally I was requesting a sailing mate for the Western Caribbean run, but serious concerns for the safety of Americans in many Central American Countries have changed my intentions. I am not going to risk the security, and life, not only mine, but that of those with me. I am now listed in south Florida waiting to get a First Mate to sail into the Bahamas, Dominican Rep., and going further south. Possibly Brazil... Person wanting to join me can also do so for short legs. Something like two to three weeks. Arrangements are the traditional ones. Candidate must have off-shore experience, navigation, and deck experience. Loyalty to the boat will win my heart! Sailing very soon, so fix your sea bag, and contact me fast. I will advance all information regarding boat, owner, etc. Car
Can't say I get too inspired by this type of post where the OP keeps vital info such a size/type vessel/safety eq and experience hidden in post.

I would think more info including photos would achieve a much better and faster result.

Always leads me to think what is one hiding??

But good luck in getting crew.
Old 17-02-2012, 20:00   #3

Boat: sailboat 19 ft

hello, my name is dario, from argentina, i have my boat in florida and considering to do the same travel you are going to do. this is my mail: bod1551@hotmail.com, maybe can sail so close, and share experiences, and fix any problem. my departure date is around ending march or first april week, have a nice day
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	28.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	37576  
Old 17-02-2012, 20:45   #4

Boat: Tayana 37
Send a message via Yahoo to ughmo2000

Let's hear a bit more of your details, of your boat, and of your experience. What kind of terms you might be offering would help as well.
Old 17-02-2012, 21:09   #5

Boat: 48 Californian

Where are you worried about going in the Western Caribbean?
Old 18-02-2012, 08:30   #6

Boat: Tayana 37
Send a message via Yahoo to ughmo2000

Sailors wishing to visit South America from North America usually find it quit a bit eraser on both boat and crew coming across from the Cape Verde's rather than following the coast of the Americas. Fighting the Guyana current and the currents at the mouth of the Amazon make this an extremely uncomfortable passage.
Old 18-02-2012, 09:14   #7

For those interested in sailing through Bahamas in the way to the Islands: My boat is an Endurance 36 (18,550 lbs.) all reinforced fiberglass, and built with an unusual naval ingineer's designed internal structure. Safety is a major concern, and concentration. Equipment include safety harness, deck safety lines, and rail lines, two GPS, sextant, heavy duty parachute sea anchor with 600 ft. of rope, man overboard equipment, life preserves, etc. All running lines end at the cockpit, with very little need to go on deck. Heavy duty rigging. All lines are 5/8" marine rope on Harken cams for added safety. Winches are electrified (have a powerful cordless cranker on board. All food/bevs paid on board. Some help on return ticket depending how far candidate want to sail. More upon request. Sincerely, Car
Old 25-02-2012, 12:42   #8

Hello, my name is Jeffrey and I am not experienced in sailing. I am 33 years old, very healthy and fit. I learn quickly (especially when it is hands on). I am decently traveled and able to fit in different cultures. I will be in PA until March 18th and then I am free to sail until the end of June. j j m y l e s *at* l i v e *dot* c o m