Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2014, 03:38   #1

future biologist, female, going anywhere in the fall

Hallo everybody
I am a 3rd year biology student in desperate search of new adventure, and in need of rediscovering the reason for the long days spent inside at campus. I am finishing my BSc in early/mid fall, and I am looking for a sailing yacht and skipper that would be interested in taking me along following that. I am looking for an experienced and responsible skipper and crew, that can ensure the best conditions for a trip like this. I have no time limitations and no prefered destinations and routes.
I must admit I have no sailing experience, but I am a quick study, I am used to being on the water and I never get seasick. Furthermore I am expecting to attend a danish certified proficiency course over the summer, to get a general feel with sailing.
The sea and marine life is the reason I started studying biology in the first place. I have a large general knowledge of the sea and life under the surface. I scuba dive and practice spearfishing in my free time, and I am a reliable cook, great with children and general maintainance. I am smart, and will look for a solution when a problem occurs.
I have always travelled as much as possible, and to me that is all there is. It's all I wanna do, and throughout the years I have travelled many corners of Europe, New Zealand, Australia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, India and Egypt. It is safe to say that encounters with new cultures and people of the world is experiences I treasure dearly, and I am open minded and interested in every aspect of new places and new people.
Though I am excited about new adventure, I do realize that life on a boat isn't just fun and sunbathing on the deck. I know it is hard work and I am more than willing to do my part and contribute in any way I can. I am also well aware that there will be long days similar to the next and that some sort of everyday life aboard a boat will occur, and that evey crew member have their chores and duties. I know that is important for the sail to be a safe and enjoyable journey.
However the journey and experiences aboard a boat is as much an adventure to me, than visiting distant corners of the world. I have always dreamed of one day owning my own boat and sail the world on my own. I am hoping to get a feel of life at sea and learning the skills and dos'n'don'ts connected to that. Crewing on a boat must be the best way to learn - I just have to try it.
So if anybody out there could see any opportunities in bringing me along for a ride, I would be more than happy to hear from you. Though I am a newbie when it comes the art of sailing, I really do feel I can contribute in a lot of ways. If not on deck, then as a cook or maintainance worker or babysitter or personal marine life guide. Please - let me know.

Best regards
Ditte, 25
Denmark
Old 27-06-2014, 13:55   #2

Boat: Islander Bahama 30
Re: future biologist, female, going anywhere in the fall

If you were on the correct side of the pond we could sail the BVI for a month or 3
Old 28-06-2014, 11:45   #3

Boat: Catana 521
Hi, my name is David and interviewing crew for a scuba diving adventure thru Western Caribbean (Panama, Bay Islands, Honduras, Belize, Guatemala, Mexico) aboard my 52' Catamaran. The adventure is between November 1st-April 30th. It is fully equipped, luxury, seaworthy offshore boat with a full array of water sports equipment.

Not having sailing and sea experience would be not be a issue during this route and would be a great learning experience for you. Having a easy going personality, friendly, heart based person, treating others with kindness and respect, being a team player, No drama, good communication. Having a love for traveling, nature and people. Able to go with the flow of the Yin and Yang cycle of the cruising life,

Being a active member and participating in the chores and help with the responsibility of running a boat. And do so in a fun, healthy, positive way. I will pay for all the food and boat expenses. And you would need to provide your plane ticket to and from the boat. I really like what you wrote about yourself and you seem to have all the good qualities to make a great crew member.

This is going to be cruising dive adventure and looking for crew much have a love of the ocean and diving. To allow this opportunity of living on the sea and exploring the ocean magical kingdom. To learn, be inspired and become a better person from living in harmony with nature and Mother Earth. PM me for more info on me, the boat and this western caribbean diving oppertunity.

Aloha, David
Old 29-06-2014, 14:18   #4

Hi, I am looking for some help to take my 45ft sailboat from the Chesapeake Bay to Miami during the second half of July. Let me know if that woud be of any interest for you.
Thanks,

Pierre
pademauge@hotmail.com
Old 02-07-2014, 03:39   #5

hi
I just got lagoon450 at les sables north of france and I will be sailing on friday
are you interested
Old 02-07-2014, 04:23   #6

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Hej Ditte,

If nothing shows up here you should contact "Foreningen for langturssejladsen fremme (FTLF). They have a large "gastebørs" and can easily help you find a boat and a skipper to suit you.

here's the link:

FTLF: Start

Lot's of their members boats are all over the world and going to exotic places.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 04-07-2014, 12:28   #7

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

My catamaran is in the Florida Keys now and I am not sure where I will be in November. I suspect there are plenty of other folks with boats in the same position.

You may want to lurk in this forum a while and get a feel for what other potential crew members are posting. While I understand to some extent the need for posting this early in order to better plan you will probably be better served by posting another thread closer to the time you are ready to leave.