Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2013, 08:22   #1

Fun Loving Couple Looking for Crewing Opportunity

We're a hard-working, adventurous, fun-loving couple, looking for a crewing opportunity sometime this winter. We’re hoping to leave on our own adventure in the spring, and we want to build our sailing competence before we buy a boat and embark. We're based in the US, but willing to travel outside the US for the right opportunity. Let us tell you a little bit about ourselves to make this less of an impersonal internet encounter:

Donnelle grew up farming in the rolling hills of Kentucky, getting her hands dirty and having all sorts of fun in the outdoors. She has a master’s degree in botany and her professional interests lie in conservation as well as understanding and protecting watersheds. When she isn’t wandering the woods of Vermont, she spends her leisure time biking, skiing, and fishing.

I was born in the mountains of the northeast and I spent a fair amount of my time as a youngster exploring the tidal pools and rocky islands of the Maine and New Hampshire coasts. I’ve always been good at building and fixing things, so I chose engineering as my vocation. I now work as a designer for skiing and climbing equipment and I’ve gotten to travel quite a bit as a result. When I’m not in the office, I spend most of my time in the mountains, cooking, or woodworking in my garage.

What we offer as crew:
• Mature, hard-working, and very eager to learn
• Great mechanical aptitudes and experience fixing everything, including the kitchen sink
• Award-winning cooking skills, spanning numerous styles of ethnic food and some of the south’s finest biscuits and baked goods
• Basic sailing skills (we've each sailed a bit, and we’re eager to soak up more knowledge)
• Easy laughter and general good-nature
• Quite a bit of experience capturing stills and video
• A fairly strong command of the Spanish language
• Wilderness medical skills
• A couple of skilled anglers with a few fish-tales to boot!

What we'd like to find:
• A crewing opportunity sometime this winter
• Easy-going Captain, willing to share knowledge

Please reply by public message if you're interested or have any questions!
Old 14-10-2013, 12:32   #2

Boat: Beneteau First, 345
Re: Fun Loving Couple Looking for Crewing Opportunity

We have a few hops available on a 35 foot Beneteau Racer / Cruiser tiller steered sailboat. Our plan is to leave from Beaufort, NC and hop down the coast in 24 to 48 hour hops until we get to Miami. The hops will be near coastal, due to some work obligations, and because of not wanting to fight the Gulf Stream going south. We've done the trip before. It is a safe boat, and we are truly easy going. If interested drop us a note or give us a call. (443)907-7148.

Leaving November 8th.

Ralph
Old 14-10-2013, 14:00   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: custom schooner 60ft. LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne Hayne View Post
We're a hard-working, adventurous, fun-loving couple, looking for a crewing opportunity sometime this winter. We’re hoping to leave on our own adventure in the spring, and we want to build our sailing competence before we buy a boat and embark. We're based in the US, but willing to travel outside the US for the right opportunity. Let us tell you a little bit about ourselves to make this less of an impersonal internet encounter:

Donnelle grew up farming in the rolling hills of Kentucky, getting her hands dirty and having all sorts of fun in the outdoors. She has a master’s degree in botany and her professional interests lie in conservation as well as understanding and protecting watersheds. When she isn’t wandering the woods of Vermont, she spends her leisure time biking, skiing, and fishing.

I was born in the mountains of the northeast and I spent a fair amount of my time as a youngster exploring the tidal pools and rocky islands of the Maine and New Hampshire coasts. I’ve always been good at building and fixing things, so I chose engineering as my vocation. I now work as a designer for skiing and climbing equipment and I’ve gotten to travel quite a bit as a result. When I’m not in the office, I spend most of my time in the mountains, cooking, or woodworking in my garage.

What we offer as crew:
• Mature, hard-working, and very eager to learn
• Great mechanical aptitudes and experience fixing everything, including the kitchen sink
• Award-winning cooking skills, spanning numerous styles of ethnic food and some of the south’s finest biscuits and baked goods
• Basic sailing skills (we've each sailed a bit, and we’re eager to soak up more knowledge)
• Easy laughter and general good-nature
• Quite a bit of experience capturing stills and video
• A fairly strong command of the Spanish language
• Wilderness medical skills
• A couple of skilled anglers with a few fish-tales to boot!

What we'd like to find:
• A crewing opportunity sometime this winter
• Easy-going Captain, willing to share knowledge

Please reply by public message if you're interested or have any questions!
Hi,
I may have a voyage of interest. Please email at Culebrasailing@gmail.com
Best Regards,
Mike
Old 15-10-2013, 14:07   #4

Boat: Lagoon 440

Hi Dwayne & Donnelle,

PM sent.....
Old 22-10-2013, 18:02   #5

We really appreciate the crewing opportunities that folks have offered up! A number of them have been exceptionally enticing.

We're both gainfully (painfully?) employed through the end of the year and, though we thought we might be able to arrange for enough vacation time to accomplish some crewing, it looks like we won't have enough time until January. Our jobs end in December and we got a permit to float the Grand Canyon with some friends from Christmas through mid-January.

Thus, we'll be wild and free (and ready to commit time to crewing) in late January. Is anyone leaving in late January or early February? We're really eager to learn more!

Thanks!
Old 20-12-2013, 13:26   #6

The plan stands as before - we're getting off the Grand Canyon on Jan 18th and we're free for any sort of crewing opportunity after that. We'll likely be shopping for a boat in California or Mexico after we get off the grand and if you happen to be in that area, please let us know! That said, we're open to traveling to get to a crewing opportunity as well. Drop us a line if you need a crew member or you're interested in trying our fantastic cooking ;-).

Tags
crew, crewing, fun