Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2013, 02:41   #1

Boat: Valiant 42
Ft. Lauderdale To Keys And Beyond

Presently single-handing but seek a female crew for short or long term to share in the challenges and adventure of cruising. Departing next month for a couple months in the Keys, then on to Central America and Columbia. I am 60, single, fit and in good health, a runner, don't smoke or use drugs, 10,000 offshore miles on a clean, well-found Valiant 42. Looking for fit, 40-55 YOA gal with a spirit for adventure, non-smoker. Character references available on request. Reply here or via private post, or to sailboat dot gillean at gmail dot com. Cheers!
Old 26-09-2013, 22:18   #2

Re: Ft. Lauderdale To Keys And Beyond

Hy Guillean,
are You looking for somebody who joins You for a longer time or would it be possible to go with You only for 2 weeks around easter 2014? And..... I am not alone, I have a son in my backsack .....
Nice to hear from You
Christiane
Old 27-09-2013, 03:25   #3

Hi Christiane,

Thank you for responding to my post. I am looking for someone for either long term or short term -- I guess just trying crew for fun sailing and seeing if it works out long term. No terms or limits. Most likely I will be in the Keys and out to the Dry Tortugas through January, possibly into February. How old is your son?

You can e-mail me at sailboat dot gillean at gmail dot com.

Douglas
Old 29-09-2013, 11:58   #4

pirate Re: Ft. Lauderdale To Keys And Beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas McLean View Post
Hi Christiane,

Thank you for responding to my post. I am looking for someone for either long term or short term -- I guess just trying crew for fun sailing and seeing if it works out long term. No terms or limits. Most likely I will be in the Keys and out to the Dry Tortugas through January, possibly into February. How old is your son?

You can e-mail me at sailboat dot gillean at gmail dot com.

Douglas

Hi Douglas,

because I had problems with my telefone system I don't know if you have got my last email which I sent to you to "sailboat dot gillean at gmail dot com". It seems so that some people could not get my mails a few days before.
Let me know if you had the same problem.
Kind regards
Christiane
Old 30-09-2013, 10:01   #5

Hi Christiane.
I didn't get the e-mail.
Douglas
Old 01-10-2013, 02:10   #6

o.k. I try it again.
Christiane
Old 06-10-2013, 07:43   #7

Hey I'm interested I'm 26 female living in florida. I am free outgoin and fub ti be around. I grew up in the caribbean and lovw the islands. I however don't know much about sailing but willing ti learn get at me. My email is jaime.affonso87@ gmail dot com
Old 09-10-2013, 15:03   #8

Hi,

I have done a trans-Atlantic, sailed through the Greek and Indonesian Islands, also around New York Harbor. Interested in trying something new. Great cook, good storyteller, convivial bon vivant.

D
Old 09-10-2013, 18:35   #9

Hi there,

I replied earlier, but sent a very boring reply and think I need to elaborate. I am a female with plenty of sailing experience. I crewed from Fort Lauderdale to England in 1987. Actually, I started out on a boat from Ft. Lauderdale to Spain, but we were lost at sea for 15 days (I have stories) so I jumped ship in Bermuda and got on a great boat for a slick run to the Azores and then England. I have been on a boat that has run out of water and food, had the head disconnected and lived through a really rough north Atlantic storm (my job was to run the boomed out jib into a cleat on the foredeck in forty foot swells). I have also sailed through Indonesia and the Greek Islands. Scariest of all of course were the weekend sails in New York harbor, where every 4th of July, someone T-bones another guy, or ends up as a hood ornament on a cruise ship.

I spent last winter on land in Mexico. I basically stayed in a screened in palapa, with an attached tent. After years in suburbia, I did that trip as a test, to see if I could still manage. I could. I drove from New Jersey to Mexico and back...alone...wouldn't try that again...and ended up looking after a friend's dogs on a very isolated piece of beach near Mahuhaul, close to the southernmost part of North America. I also travelled to Belize and Cuba.

I am well travelled, a great cook and a great storyteller. I am active and love SCUBA. Broke a knee skiing two years ago and have no interest in doing that again. I have been trying to sell my house and am sick of living in a museum, while I wait for a buyer.

Let me know if you want me to contact you personally. I will supply lively conversation.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:12   #10

Hi DSB.

Thanks for your reply to my post. I am still looking for a sailing partner for voyages south and on to the Pacific. Your sailing experiences are those I can relate to -- five months ago while at anchor in the Bahamas I was run down by a freighter in the night and nearly sank. I am just now finishing the $80,000 repair project (boat looks like new again) in Ft. Lauderdale and will set sail the first week of December for the Keys. If you would like to learn more about me and see a few photos, you can find me by my member number on findacrew dot com: 229479. I would like to chat with you when you can--please send a note to sailboat dot gillean at gmail dot com.

Douglas
Old 10-10-2013, 08:51   #11

Hi there,

Sent an email to your gmail address. Let me know if you got it, then we can chat.

D
Old 19-10-2013, 12:15   #12

Boat: OPB (Other Peoples Boats)
Send a message via Skype™ to softgoodsint

Wow, what experiences. I was just "browsing" by and noticed your story to be, well, compelling enough to not only to post to compliment your storytelling, but to say, that if you decide to, I think a book is in there, and if so, I'd certainly be interested to hear the "long form" of all those experiences. You'd resonate with anyone who want's to "break free" from their various circumstances (& who doesn't). I did so recently, but
curiously ended up in Wyoming (way too far from the water).

Happy sailing (& I hope not with those 40 footers you encountered previously)