Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 17:50   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to hendelar
From South Pacific to...

Thanks for reading my post. I'm a Canadian writer in the midst of a travel / life adventure. Have finished a month of sailing Vanuatu from Port Vila to Santo, visiting remote islands and meeting villagers. Along the way we performed Reef Check surveys and, at one village in Malakula, collaborated with the villagers to remove 511 coral-reef destroying crown of thorn starfish. Have had one proposal of marriage, two offers of unlimited accommodation and have enjoyed many precious connections with people.

Sailing experience, in addition to the one month aboard a 37m, ferro-concrete ketch, includes several seasons of fresh water sailing on Lake Ontario, one the five Great Lakes, including a crossing. Certifications: CYA Cruising Standard, Marine First Aid, and VHF-DSC. Also, Open Water Diver certification and have all equipment except tank and weights, both of which I'd be happy to purchase. I am keen to learn more about navigation and sailing in general.

My former belief, "home" is the place our children were born, is currently under revision as I realize flags breed walls and we have too many divisions as it is.

Not yet ready to return to North America, I'd first like to explore South East Asia...Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia (or wherever). I'd be happy to fly to Australia to meet a vessel, and dive the Great Barrier Reef before departure, or can fly anywhere within 5,000 nm of Vanuatu.

Also compelling is a trans-oceanic passage to South or Central America and, depending on the route and timing, either via Pacific or Atlantic would be equally attractive. The Caribbean, particularly Mexico's Mayan Peninsula, would make for a major milestone destination.

Strongly biased toward a safe, comfortable journey on a > 50 ft yacht with a seasoned skipper over whether SV or MV or, where the actual itinerary leads. The locale is a smaller part of the journey.

I'm a non-smoker, though can appreciate a fine cigar on occasion, eat pretty much anything and make an effort to balance good with healthy. Would follow a vegan diet if a full-time chef who is without an agenda and capable of creating a good-tasting menu, was available. I did eat that mangrove snail while visiting Malakula.

I'm indifferent about "social drinking" though am equipped to create the yet-uncontested finest dirty, sapphire martini in the universe and I do enjoy a cold beer on a hot afternoon.

Safe travels,
Larry

Tags
south pacific