Looking for a volunteer crew position on a sailing vessel in French Polynesia
or elsewhere in the South Pacific
. Available end of May until late August.
for one of the PPJ vessels from Panama
to the Marquesas
. We will arrive at Hiva Oa in the last week of May, and the crew will disembark when the owner's family
joins. One other crew (female, 30s, 5k miles including one ocean crossing
, RYA coastal skipper
certified) may be available as well.
Would like to continue on westward, preferably to Australia
or New Zealand
, but open to any options, including eastbound or up to Hawaii
. Willing to fly to most of the Coconut Milk Run islands to meet up with the right vessel. Crewing
on another vessel starting late August from Turkey
, so only available until then.
- 39yo male citizen of USA, just over two years into indefinite world travel with lots of sailing.
- Clear unrestricted passport expiring 2020.
- Fluent native English
speaker, enough Spanish to get by, bits of French & others
- Nonsmoker. Nondrinker on passage
- Get along with anyone and everyone, can handle high stress situations, no seasickness. Follows orders.
- Allergic to nuts. Can be around them but not eat them. Allergic to all cats & most dogs
. Bummer, because I love dogs
- No other medical
- Semi-retired. Occasional investing, some management consulting.
/ mobile / finance / program management background
- 9400 sailing miles (7600 ocean, 1800 coastal)
- Worst weather
experience was 35' seas with 45+ kt winds crossing Gulf Stream
in a Hanse 400
- Mostly blue water
passages, including ARC Europe
in 2014. Lots of USVI sailing as well. Full passage
list available if interested, including dates, vessels, captains, mileage.
- Vessel experience predominantly 40-60ft sailboats, but OK with smaller.
certified 101/103/104, ISCO certified misc
- Red Cross first aid & CPR certified (expired, will renew if desired)
- Basic mechanical knowledge
- All the basic offshore
skills (weather routing, maintaining course, watches, sail trimming, navigation
, VHF/SSB, radar/AIS, knots, engine maintenance
- Advanced computer knowledge
- Lots of non-sailing knowledge. Computers
, finance, behavioral psychology, valuation, etc
PDF / safety
harness, tether, foulies, headlamps, etc
- Lots of recent sailing references
available from last two years, mostly blue water
- I'm a safety
guy when it comes to sailing. Always default to making the safer decision, like reefing early, proactively contacting other vessels to make sure they see us, giving very wide berths, avoiding night sailing near hazards, etc. I'm definitely a cruiser rather than a racer
- I will assist with deliveries, but preference is sailing with owners who are sailing because they enjoy sailing.
- Happy to share operating expenses, sign a crew contract
, background check, etc.
Send me a PM or reply here with contact info if interested and I'll share email
/ cell / Facebook / Skype details for further correspondence.
First three weeks of May will be the Galapagos
leg so may take a bit to respond if you PM then.