Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2014, 20:39   #1

From Florida to the Bahamas and the Lesser Antilles

I am looking for one or two people who do not smoke, have some sailing experience, and can assist as needed with watches and boat handling, for sailing my 32’ Gemini Catamaran from the Florida panhandle down to the Bahamas and from there to Trinidad. This is an unpaid crew position. I prefer that you are between 24 to a fit 45 years of age. The anticipated departure date is April 15, 2014. I sail my boat single handed for shorter trips, but want additional crew for this venture. We will share food expenses while aboard and you will get to see and spend time in some beautiful places. You will need a passport, some basic gear, appropriate attire, whatever spending money you may need, and a provision to return stateside on your own (this may include airfare, a connection with a northbound boat or other means you may know of).

It is essential that you have a good personality; you must be able to be happy, responsible, and contribute to all duties willingly, have a good attitude and understand that in the confined space of a boat, the ability to get along with everyone is essential. I prefer single adventurous people over couples. Also, sailing skills and knowledge will be a definite asset in crew selection.

We will not have a rigid schedule and I will base sail decisions on weather conditions as a rule. While in transit we will all stand watches on a rotating basis. The time frame for arrival in Trinidad will be 4 to six months with time moored in hurricane holes if need be. For those who supply sufficient information to establish genuine interest and qualifications, I will send a more detailed information summary of itinerary and living and sailing conditions aboard. A face to face meeting will be indispensable in securing a berth for this voyage. Thank you for your interest. PM me if you are interested.
Old 22-03-2014, 14:50   #2

Re: From Florida to the Bahamas and the Lesser Antilles

Hi,
I'm interested in crewing on your sail to Trinidad for approx. 2 weeks beginning 4/15.
A bit about me...
I'm a fit 50 yr. old with limited sailing experience that includes: 1 week bareboat (50ft Jenneau) in the BVI's, 5 years ownership and use of a 24ft drop-keel Santana on a New England lake, ASA 104 certification (acquired in BVI's-Maryland School of Sailing), and finally membership at local Boston Harbor sailing club (23ft Sonars). Questionable cooking skills, but alway willing to put in the effort. Fit and active, I'm an avid surfer and snowboarder, and also certified to dive.
Old 23-03-2014, 11:00   #3

Boat: Paceship, 1973, 23'

Gemini Sailor,

Enjoyed reading your post and am interested in exploring this opportunity.

I am the fit 45 you are looking for. As evidence, I completed the Pensacola bridge swim last summer - a 5k open water. The water was very choppy that day, so it took me a little over 2 hours to complete. My previous time was 1hr: 50Min.

I am an avid sailor, and loved my week in the Abacos last fall - bigger boat than yours, but then, there were 8 of us aboard.

I have been sailing my whole life, when the opportunities have come along, but have been more directly involved in the last 5 years or so - owning two trailer sailers (a southcoast 21 and currently a Paceship 23).

I often sail with my brother on his Cal 25, and have experience in towing and launching this behemoth (for a trailerable boat).

I have also been worked on fiberglass boat restoration. Each of the boats that I have owned or worked with has been a restoration project first.

I am friendly and easy going. I don't like conflict and don't cause trouble. I have worked at the same company for 20 years, but will be departing shortly and have a unique window being between jobs and between marriages...

This adventure seems well timed and very exciting IF the personalities line up. Glad to hear you require the face-to-face, I would expect the same. Where are you, and what would be involved in meeting?

I hope to hear from you,

David
Old 24-03-2014, 10:37   #4

Hi David, this website is hard to use to communicate with responders - I am interested in talking to you based on your response - email me at bahamasandbeyond@gmail.com. I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks.

Tags
Bahamas, florida