Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 05:39   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins
Florida to Toronto

Date Listed 07-May-12 Address Toronto, ON M1E 5K5, Canada View map

I have a 35' sailboat that I want to bring back from Florida to Toronto and I need one crew person, male or female to help. Most of the trip would be along the ICW (Inter Costal Waterway). The entire trip would be about two months but you could come just part of the way if you like. I am 67 years old and an experienced captain.

I would require your assistance primarily as an extra set of hands during passage through the canal lock system, and with other simple tasks during docking and anchoring. I would ask that you share in the cost of food and drink. Some experience in sailing or boating is welcome but is not a requirement.

I will be driving from Toronto to Florida around May 28 and if you live near Toronto you could come with me. This is not a paid position.

Must have valid passport, and provide the following information:
Boating experience
– Any additional relevant information

Thank you. I look forward to hearing from you.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:59   #2

Re: Florida to Toronto

Hi i am an energetic very handy retired heavy equip mechanic 63yrs young.Two years ago i single handed a 28 ft spirit from Hoten Co MI,across the bottom of superior, through the Trent Severn(had a helper Duchman hbr to Trenton Ont) then down to NS myself. Our boats are going in the water here in NS on the 25/26 may.I sold my boat ,but need to set it up for the buyer then i might be interested in doing the trip with you. Are you a non smoker?
Old 07-05-2012, 08:33   #3

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

If I was mostly motoring, a mechanic would be an excellent asset.

It may help to find volunteers by defining in what way you are an experienced captain. This is not a shot across your personal bow, but an acknowledgement that many who have agreed to crew for skippers doing personal deliveries have learned to their distress that the "experienced skipper" was neither, and was a menace on the move.

The archives here have dozens of such stories. A USCG "six-pack", an ICC or best of all, an RYA certificate goes a long way to convince people to sail with one, I find.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:45   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins

The position has been filled ..thanks
Old 13-05-2012, 07:45   #5

I would be interested in crewing with you. I am a young 64 years old male. I am very mechanical, worked in manufacturing for 40 years, I am a licensed practical nurse, and I have sailing experience. I have owned and sailed several small boats, catamarans, and a 30 foot Soverel. I have limited sailing experience in the Keys and Bahamas. I currently live in the Fort Lauderdale area. This is where I have done the majority of my sailing. I am not afraid of hard work. If you fell that I could be a fill your requirement, or have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Tags
florida