Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2011, 01:16   #1

Boat: Hunter 36
Florida Keys / Bahamas

Hi,

I am looking for a crew member to join me sailing Florida Keys/Bahamas,Cuba, January 1-5, on my 2005 Hunter 36.

I have been sailing three seasons on the Chesapeake Bay, often solo. Purchased this boat one year ago. I just arrived in Charleston, SC, via ICW, to pick up an experienced, short term, crew member, and will be jumping out this morning for my first, two day, ocean passage to St. Augustine, Fl, to shakedown, then continue south.

I am competent, but far from being an old salt. Weigh this against your own experience, interests, and availability, and advise. Thank you.
Old 08-12-2011, 16:09   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to CharlesFCook
Re: Florida Keys / Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStepman View Post
Hi,

I am looking for a crew member to join me sailing Florida Keys/Bahamas,Cuba, January 1-5, on my 2005 Hunter 36.

I have been sailing three seasons on the Chesapeake Bay, often solo. Purchased this boat one year ago. I just arrived in Charleston, SC, via ICW, to pick up an experienced, short term, crew member, and will be jumping out this morning for my first, two day, ocean passage to St. Augustine, Fl, to shakedown, then continue south.

I am competent, but far from being an old salt. Weigh this against your own experience, interests, and availability, and advise. Thank you.
MSG sent...
Old 11-12-2011, 08:23   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1978 41' Island Trader
Send a message via MSN to CaptainPatty Send a message via Skype™ to CaptainPatty

Hello, my name is Patty and would be interested in hearing more of your trip plans. You may view my website at captainpatty.com
Old 12-12-2011, 12:14   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Americat 30 Catamaran

Extensive experience sailing. I also speak spanish fluently. Please email me at juliosailing@gmail.com so that I can forward my resume.
Old 13-12-2011, 19:04   #5

I will be heading south from St. Augustine by Friday, Dec. 15, for Ft. Pierce and W Palm Beach. Current plan is to cross to cruise the Exumas for an indefinite period. Current crew member returns to school January 3, flying out of Bahamas.
Old 14-12-2011, 05:04   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Americat 30 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStepman View Post
I will be heading south from St. Augustine by Friday, Dec. 15, for Ft. Pierce and W Palm Beach. Current plan is to cross to cruise the Exumas for an indefinite period. Current crew member returns to school January 3, flying out of Bahamas.
Please contact me so that we can further discuss.
juliosailing@gmail.com

Thanks.
Old 15-12-2011, 10:32   #7

Gidday. I am a 44 year old High School teacher from New Zealand, travelling through the Southern USA with my 12 year old son, this January and February. I've done a few Pacific passages ex NZ ( Tonga, Tahiti etc have references) and enjoy scuba diving. My son loves Laser sailing, Soccer and watersports but would enjoy watching (or playing) any sport. We have a 7 metre yacht we holiday in based in the Bay of islands NZ, so aren’t complete bunnies.
We would like to meet people with similar interests and hobbies on our travels. We would like to spend about a week on a boat somewhere in the Caribbean during February.
Would you take a kid?
What do you cost?
What options do we have for meeting up with you in Feb some place?

Many thanks
John Mills
Old 16-12-2011, 19:03   #8

John Mills, I plan to be in proximity to Georgetown, Exumas, Bahamas, on February 8. Thereafter, I may either remain in the Exumas, or continue to Cuba or the Dominican Republic. How does that dovetail with your plans?
Old 16-12-2011, 19:43   #9

i'd be interested in doing some cruising with you if you have the room Im Dean 50 years old easy going hold a US passport and love to sail
Old 16-12-2011, 21:49   #10

That looks perfect from my angle. If you're keen, we will be in touch closer to the time, and will fly out to Bahamas prior to the 8th and meet up somewhere. Do you have email address or text/phone for a chat?

Cheers

John
Old 17-12-2011, 05:55   #11

Dean, what is your experience ocean cruising, in the Bahamas, and time availability?
Old 17-12-2011, 05:57   #12

John,

KStepman at aol dot com.
Old 26-12-2011, 14:06   #13

Hi K,

How has your trip been to date?

Married with three children and 2 grandsons, I am 57 and still working but am trying to ease my way out of the rat race. I've booked off work for February, unpaid, and am looking for an opportunity to sail and share expenses. I've owned two keel boats, the latest a Bayfield 25 with my brother, we sail on Lake Ontario in any weather. I don't have any blue water experience.

I love Latin America and commend to you the ports of Varidaro and Havana Cuba, also Bocas del Toro in Panama and Tampico in Mexico. I've studied up my Spanish and practice whenever I can. You'll find I'm handy on a boat. I pulled out and and re-installed our auxiliary diesel for a rebuild. While it was out I fitted it with an alternator and wired it into the boat so we don't need shore power any more. We also fitted an auto-tiller, do you have one?

I like to cook and I don't smoke or take drugs. The way I have fun on a trip is to look for the good in everyone I meet. People everywhere are open and curious about us if I can just slow down and appreciate them. Women can be a challenge if they see you as a 'sugar daddy' so I try to keep things correct (I just returned from a week cycling in Cuba with my brother).

Please let me know if I might fit into your plans. I can certainly cover expenses and can meet you in any port you choose.

Andy Welch
Streetsville, Canada

KStepman

Hi,

I am competent, but far from being an old salt. Weigh this against your own experience, interests, and availability, and advise. Thank you.[/QUOTE]
Old 26-12-2011, 15:03   #14

Andy, check your email.

Tags
Bahamas, florida