Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2014, 18:22   #1

Boat: Nicholson 32
East coast Australia

hi guys,

im blake 25yo Aussie and I have just bought my first yacht, i have been living aboard 6 months now and am going to start heading up the east coast of Australia in the next month. no time frames and at a leisurely place i will just keep sailing north, stopping to see the sights and enjoy this awesome stretch of coast. the next few months will be Ballina, Brisbane, Airlie beach, Whitsundays and cairns.
happy to have people aboard for a few nights or a leg of the journey.
some major cities i may stop for a few weeks to work, the eventual goal is to just keep moving piece by piece until i have sailed all the way around aus then ill plan my next goal..
Its all a learning experience for me, ill be sailing in good weather and as safe as possible as im in no rush.
feel free to email me for more details on the trip if your interested!

Blake
Old 28-06-2014, 19:39   #2

Boat: 21 ft sail boat
Re: East coast Australia

Go to Lizard island north of Cairns, good diving if you want to get your pinkies wet. There is a resort now costing thousands to stay but you may be able to find some free stuff. A Canadian friend camped there for 4 years 1970's.
Old 29-06-2014, 01:22   #3

Hi Blake.

I think that sounds like the most fantastic idea - I must admit I am a bit jealous I would love to hear more about your plans and how you plan to organize crewing on your yacht.
you can read a little about me and my plans here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ll-128594.html

please let me know if you think we could work something out. :P

Ditte,
Denmark
Old 29-06-2014, 02:05   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Welcome aboard Blake, nice to see some young(er) Aussie blood on CF. As an ex Queenslander with the whole east Qld coast under my keel, I know you will enjoy yourself and the places you will see.

If you get adventurous, keep heading north from Cairns and get to the Torres Strait. Not much has changed on the coast north of Cooktown for the last 20 years; no, make that the last 200 years !

Fair warning though, it's a very hard windward slog back to Cairns from the top of the Cape. Some reckon it's easier to continue on counter clockwise to Darwin, the Kimberley, Perth and southern Australia. Of course it's not but it can seem that away when you try to head south from Cape York.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 02-07-2014, 03:29   #5

Blake,
Living the dream at 25! Good on ya mate.
I'd be keen to crew for a few nights on your trip north.
I'm a 30yr old male living in Noosa, QLD. I could hop onboard in Mooloolaba or Noosa (if you can get your boat over the bar, the noosa river is beautiful and great anchoring right next to town.)

I dont know how to email you as you didn't leave an address, so email me at

j DOT m DOT king@hotmail DOT com

Cheers mate and have an awesome trip.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:35   #6

Hi Blake,
Would be interested in helping you get the boat from Ballina to north of Brisvegas.
Probably could do a few days stints.
Interested in how you go anyway, as aim to do something similar in next few years.
I'm Dean, 28, near Yamba.
How best to contact you?
Cheers
Old 08-07-2014, 09:25   #7

Boat: no vessel

Hi There I'm holidaying in Queensland from 23 july to 27 aug in Brisbane area. I have no experience other than dingy sailing in Swansea bay UK. I'm 66 but willing non smoker but like a drink happy go lucky do I qualify? regards Joe Pumford

Tags
Australia, east coast