"All things considered, there are only two kinds of men in the world: those that stay at home and those that do not."
- Rudyard Kipling
My father received a Fullbright teaching scholarship, and as a result my parents are living in Alexandria, Egypt
for the year. I'd like to visit them, if I can, before they leave Africa
. I know May is the traditional choice for west to east Atlantic crossings, but I was wondering if there might be someone looking to cross in March or very early April, a someone looking for another set of hands to help out?
I really don't have much in the way of experience, as far as sailing goes. Please consider the following a sort of informal curriculum vitae.
Tom. Male. Age 27.
- I spent the summer in Wisconsin. I got an old beat-up 13-foot sailboat from a neighbor. My car didn't have a mount for a trailer
hitch, so I had to drag the boat
by hand about a mile to get it down to the lake. I didn't sink the boat
, but that's about as much success as I can claim. I realized I needed a teacher.
- After Wisconsin, I went to Hawaii
to visit some old college friends. I managed to crew at a couple different yacht clubs on Oahu
for their weekly beer
can races. I went a handful of times, but unfortunately I didn't really get to do much other than help balance her out.
- I'm currently living aboard
as a renter in NYC
. The boat sails
well, but I've only taken her out a couple of times since the motor
is kind of dodgy, and I don't trust myself as a sailor yet.
- I've done years of temp work
. I bring this up mainly because I think it requires an ability to adapt and pick up new skills quickly.
- I canoed the entire Mississippi
River. I'm not sure what this might say about me, but hopefully you're impressed?
- I can swim.
- I've never been seasick.
- I wouldn't be expecting you to pay for anything on my behalf.
- I tend to get along well with just about everybody.
- I'm certainly no body-builder, but I'd say I'm in generally good shape.
If there's other important information that I'm forgetting, please let me know. You can reach me at tomofferwestort at gmail dot com.