Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2013, 14:27   #1

Location: Cape Town has stolen my heart, but I adore Montreal.
Dreaming of Cape Town

Hey ladies and gents.
So I posted a while back about getting some sea miles on my way to getting Yachtmaster certification. Not too many takers. And I'm not sure why. My original thread here. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...sa-103507.html

I am looking for anything leaving from anywhere Atlantic Coast North America, Caribbean or Europe heading south towards Cape Town. I can get to the departure point no problem and contribute to daily costs. If things go according to plan, I should have my CYA Advanced Cruising ticket by September. I will also have accumulated another couple hundred miles.

Anyone able to give me some pointers on what I need and what to look for would be appreciated. Also route suggestions to make my plans more realistic would be appreciated. I just need to get to Cape Town!
Old 29-07-2013, 14:47   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Dreaming of Cape Town

You may have to do some flying to get started.. Sept is a bit late from the US side to go anywhere...
However if you can get across to the Canaries you might find someone going that way... usually down to the Cap Verdes then W across to Brazil before swinging E again for the Cape...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
Old 29-07-2013, 14:51   #3

Re: Dreaming of Cape Town

Thanks Boatman. I realise Stateside its unlikely but I had planned on flying somewhere to get there. Was thinking maybe someone would be heading south to Brazil from the Caribbean. Then if I couldn't get a ride straight shot, try to pick up a lift in Brazil. I've looked around, and everyone seems to be LEAVING Cape Town in January.

Thanks for the tip on the Canaries though. As for routing, I reckoned on heading past Brazil before jamming east to CT.
Old 29-07-2013, 15:02   #4

Just for the sake of full disclosure: my wife told me I could sail to Cape Town if I wanted to and she and the kids would meet me there (she's South African) so she bought tickets. Onus is on me now.
Old 29-07-2013, 15:08   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Dreaming of Cape Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager1 View Post
Thanks Boatman. I realise Stateside its unlikely but I had planned on flying somewhere to get there. Was thinking maybe someone would be heading south to Brazil from the Caribbean. Then if I couldn't get a ride straight shot, try to pick up a lift in Brazil. I've looked around, and everyone seems to be LEAVING Cape Town in January.

Thanks for the tip on the Canaries though. As for routing, I reckoned on heading past Brazil before jamming east to CT.
There has been one guy on here who's picking up his boat in the Carib in Sept and was talking about heading for Brazil/CT... however its a killer route with head winds and currents for 2000 miles...
99% opt for Carib/Azores/Canaries/Cap Verde... cross the equator and ride the SE Trades to Brazil then make the run to CT...
Many have tried the 'straight shot' from the Islands only to limp back with broken rigs and boats...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
Old 29-07-2013, 15:18   #6

Gotcha. As I am no router, I will take this to heart.
So in reality: Hey folks! Looking for a ride from the Azores or Canaries down to Cape Town starting sometime early January ;-)

Tags
cape town