Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 16:45   #1

Boat: Kadey Krogen 42
Down the East Coast in a 42' Trawler

Seeking a Crew Member for a Cruise down the East Coast from Maine to Florida and the Bahamas in October and November.

I’m an ex-meteorologist and teacher, who now loves to travel and keeping busy until my wife can stop working. I’ve lived the last 30 years, Europe, Alaska and now New York, where I grew up.

I just spent a relatively short day cruising from Gloucester to Plymouth Mass, where I am now anchored, watching a thunderstorm move through. I am warm and cozy on Dauntless, a 1988 Kadey Krogen 42’ trawler. It’s not fast, it’s not sexy, but will pretty much go anywhere in safety and a little comfort.

I’m telling you this because I could use some help keeping watch, light cleaning and plain conversation. What you don’t know, I am willing to and like to teach. I try to go off shore depending upon weather, waves and current, and usually anchor each night after 8 to 12 hour days. Once in a while, when circumstances warrant, I have had longer days and overnight passages.

Between the second or third week of October and early December, I will be cruising from Maine down the east coast, stopping in central Florida, for two weeks, before ending in the Bahamas (Abacos) by the end of November.

I am looking for one crew member who is outgoing, easy going, and willing to learn. Experience is not necessary, as I will teach the fundamentals of watch keeping, including navigation, radar and weather interpretation. I do the routine maintenance and we’ll share the normal boat chores, though I like doing most of the cooking. You will have plenty of time to read.

Young is better than old, just because I like open minded people who don’t know it all, just as I realize I don’t know it all. I also don’t have much patience for entitled adults. If you don’t know what that means, that’s probably good.

Dauntless is well equipped and I pretty much single handed from Florida in the spring, up to NYC and have spent the summer cruising New England, Maine, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. I will keep Dauntless in Providence RI for the rest of September.

You must have the time to do at least the first or second part of this trip, the expenses to cover your transportation and any personal or special needs.

If you Google Krogen 42, you will have a sense of what a fully equipped trawler is like. You will have your own cabin and head! No smoking, no drugs, but a beer or glass or two of wine at the end of the day is most welcome.

PM me and tell me about yourself:
• Your expectations,
• Experience,
• Male or female
• Drink and eating habits
• Availability, when and where

Richard
Old 05-09-2013, 19:39   #2

Re: Down the East Coast in a 42' Trawler

Richard,
I have been sailing and motoring on lake and bay all my life and lived aboard a 30 foot Lancer in the '90's. An excellent helmsman, deckhand and cook I am currently looking to get back on the water and am available through the next several months; I live in Scotch Plains, NJ and can easily get to any port of call on the East Coast. Your specific teaching interest especially in ocean navigation would be most welcome, it's an area I am particularly lacking in. I am familiar with yachts of all shapes and sizes, am fit, agile, in exceptional physical condition, easygoing and adaptable. And I am a great conversationalist. I realize that maybe a 54 year old guy isn't what you have in mind, but please feel free to contact me anytime.
Jamie Wallhauser
jameswallhauser@yahoo.com
908-644-7316
Old 08-09-2013, 06:23   #3
dbw

I am interested and available.
Will send PM and resume.
DaveW
Old 10-09-2013, 07:26   #4

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Mahe 36'

Hello Richard, just got back sailing greek islands and agean coast. last april I took 42' Elling trawler from Annapolis to Ft. lauderdale which belongs to my cousin. I did the intercoastal from Annapolis to Fl 4 times with some offshore jumps. couple of them alone with my 33 Hunter sailboat. I'm 54 years old, fit, non smoker, and very light drinker (occasional beer once a week). watch keeping, navigation, radar etc I'm very familiar and don't mind helping cleaning and other chores. Probably you already have someone for the trip however if things change I would be interested joining part of the trip. I keep the boat at Herrington hourbor, if you are around and need a place to tie up for a night let me know my e-mail izmir57@yahoo
Erdal
Old 16-09-2013, 08:15   #5

Boat: Kadey Krogen 42

Thanks All.
My crew is set now, but if plans change, I'll let you all know.

Thanks again for the great response.

Richard on Dauntless

Tags
east coast, paracelle, trawler