Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2013, 10:17   #1

Dominican Republic to Miami in March 2014

Looking for voluntary crew to sail from the Dominican Republic to Miami around end of March 2014, and possibly back there end of April. Boat is a 36 foot sloop in good condition. Goal is a pleasant 6 to 7 days trip with no incidents on technical or humane issues, and no financial interest from both sides.
Old 22-12-2013, 09:36   #2

Re: Dominican Republic to Miami in March 2014

Greetings,

My name's Mark and I'm very interested in helping you get to Miami. I'd be a great fit for you because I'm more interested in miles than money. I only ask that I'm fed while on board. I'll take care of myself while we're on land. March is a great time for me too. I'm an experienced sailor on both large and small vessels. Currently i'm an instructor in Boston during the summer but I was once a bosun for Liberty Clipper, a 125ft schooner, on which I sailed a transit from Boston to the Bahamas. My wife and I recently went to the BVI and bareboat chartered a 46ft Beneteau. Let me know if you're interested in my help.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 22-12-2013, 10:37   #3

I write to you today to express my interest in the trip from the Dominican Republic to Miami. While I don't have a "resume," I have outlined my experience below. I do possess both a 50 ton Inland Master's license, with Sailing and Towing Endorsements, and an Ordinary Seaman (OS) MMD. I have a TWIC card as well.

My father first took me sailing on the Chesapeake Bay, out of Middle River, when I was 6 months old; I have been sailing ever since. When I was 8, I began racing on both small boats (dinghies), and Keel Boats. My keel boat racing experience includes a Cal 2-30, C&C 33, Express 35, J/22, J/24, J/29, J/30, J/35, J/42, Melges 24, Merit 25, Navy 44, and a Santa Cruz 70. My dinghy experience includes Lasers, 420s, 470s, JY15s, Thistles, and Optimists. I have done many distance races, including the Round Block Island Race and Vineyard race, both in 2008.

I have been cruising my entire life. My cruising experience includes a Pearson Ariel (similar to a Pearson Triton, only smaller), a Morgan 30, Jeanneau 35, Cal 2-27, Beneteau 35.7, and currently a Bayfield 32. I have sailed offshore many times, including a trip in November 2008 from Annapolis, Maryland to St. Maarten, in the Caribbean. In June 2010, I sailed from Tortola to Providence, RI, via Bermuda, aboard a Caliber 37. I also skippered a Pearson 36 Cutter from Annapolis to Bermuda in November 2011.

I began coaching sailing and racing when I was 13- in 2001. I have been teaching junior sailors every summer since then, teaching everything from 8 year old beginners (kids who have never set foot on a boat) to 16 year olds in advanced racing. I have taught at the Baltimore County Sailing Center for 7 summers (Baltimore County Sailing Center - Home), and in 2008 taught at the Tred Avon Yacht Club, in Oxford, Maryland (tayc.com). I have taught Ideal 18s, Rainbows, 420s, Lasers, Optis, and Hunter Xcites. In the summer of 2010, I taught sailing aboard Lasers, Opti's, and Rainbows at YMCA Camp Letts in Edgewater, where I continued to teach school groups and private groups canoeing and team building activities through December. I am a Small Boat Level 1 Sailing Instructor through US Sailing, and am also an EMT and Firefighter, with plans to study for my paramedic license within the next few years.

I wonder if my qualifications meet your requirements. I would ask for airfare from and to Baltimore (BWI) and to be fed while on board. I will fend for myself while ashore. Should you require more information, I can be reached via email at this address.

Thanks in advance.

Capt. Corey Mitchell, EMT/FF
50 ton Masters, Sailing and Towing Endorsed
Old 22-12-2013, 21:39   #4

Boat: 19' Lightning

Hello:

Just wondering what route you plan to travel, up the Bahamian Channel, or due north then west through the Bahamas. Also, who build your vessel and how old is she? Do you have a life raft, EPRIB, and radar and AIS? Are your charts up to date and do you have Ugrib? For me, I have more than 45 years of sailing/boating experience and during 2013 I sailed about 2600 miles offshore on a variety of vessels. I helped deliver a 76' sloop from St Martin to Newport RI in July and then helped move her from Newport to Norfolk in November wishing it was July. I also sailed from Port Hardy BC to Victoria BC in Sept on a Bavaria 43 and then in the Harvest Moon Regatta from Galveston to Port Aransas in October on a C&C 38, we took 2nd in our class. I helped deliver a Lagoon 43 from St Martin to Kemah TX in 2008. Sailing in NE is too long to mention, I'll send you my sailing resume if you're interested.

Thanks for your time
Old 23-12-2013, 09:51   #5
dct

Hello, I would like to crew with you from DR to Miami . I have 13 years of cruising the Caribbean and the Bahamas on my own 45' ketch. I have sailed your route several time, both ways. I have all the experience, ability and attitude to make the trip a fun success. Thank you, David.

Tags
Dominican Republic, miami