Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2012, 23:32   #1

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Delivery skipper Melbourne to Adelaide

Hello Cruisers,

I am in the process of purchasing a Swanson 42 from Melbourne. I live in Adelaide and have no blue-water experience at all (except the sort that lands on you when surfing), though I have plenty of gulf and bay sailing experience, having grown up among boats and having sailed since I was ten. (I am forty and a bit now)

I am looking for a skipper/mentor to help me take the boat from Melbourne (Western Port Bay ) to Adelaide in the near future. To clarify, this would be a paid position.

If that person recommends it I am happy to take on additional crew. I would see myself as crew, not skipper, though I understand that might seem unlikely to some people, I am actually happier to defer to the experts in these situations, which is what I will be paying for.

At this stage I am assuming the boat will pass survey, probably with a recommendation for new sails and sheets, and probably some maintenance of the standing rigging, but otherwise it should be a seaworthy and safe boat. I would replace sails and sheets before the trip if that is what the survey recommends. The boat is equipped with good electronics and a functional autopilot, though I am working on memory of a test sail over a year ago, the autopilot seemed good then and was coupled with a plotter and radar. It is comfortable, if old and slow.

I am reasonably flexible on timing, though the cost of the pen in Melbourne is significantly more than in Adelaide so I will be keen to move it sooner rather than later. The trip itself is not something I would want to rush and I would be more than happy to wait on good weather at any stage, and pay for the skipper's extra time to lay by if needed.

Please PM me if you can assist, or get me at mdunk (at) dunkit dot com dot au.
Old 25-11-2012, 16:51   #2

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: Delivery skipper Melbourne to Adelaide

Hi GILow, Just wondering if you have had any luck finding a skipper yet ? I might be interested in the job either as crew or as skipper if its still available?
Old 29-11-2012, 03:30   #3

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Delivery skipper Melbourne to Adelaide

Hello all,

Thank you to those who have offered, I think we have it sorted now.

Matt

Tags
delivery, skipper