Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2015, 08:47   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: Delivery from St. Helena to St. Lucia

TUI Marine out of Cape Town usually handles the afore mentioned Leopard deliveries. Also there are a couple of sailing schools that make the trip out to Saint Helena in the coming months. Try posting at the Royal Yacht Club in Capetown they usually have a handful of delivery skippers as well as any one heading west will likely be stopping there on their way to Saint Helena.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 15-12-2015, 16:43   #17

Boat: In between boat ownership

I was one of the two on board when we (the owner/captain) elected to secure the boat in Jamestown Harbor, St. Helena. There are many other ways to arrive St. Helena but they all require leaving Capetown, South Africa or connecting with the RMS St. Helena from Ascension Island or from the Faulklands from the South or the Caribbean Islands from the northwest. Difficult? yes, impossible?, no. Upon arrival, we have arranged a boat caretaker to contact and then making provisions is a matter of a day or two of fussing. There are ample fuel and water on board and a water maker to accommodate amply. The boat is close to the island and mostly out of harms way (secured to moorings at the bow and stern) save for the gusts that are forever dancing on the harbor from the deep valley that forms Jamestown itself. The systems all work fine; the batteries are strong and the solar system is dependable. This is a two or three person sail and the boat is a comfortable sailor even in strong winds (not very likely) and there are NO leaks anywhere.
Old 15-12-2015, 16:54   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmingbird View Post
TUI Marine out of Cape Town usually handles the afore mentioned Leopard deliveries. Also there are a couple of sailing schools that make the trip out to Saint Helena in the coming months. Try posting at the Royal Yacht Club in Capetown they usually have a handful of delivery skippers as well as any one heading west will likely be stopping there on their way to Saint Helena.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
good input
though you would have to be pretty lucky to fly out to south Africa on the off chance that you and 1 or 2 crew can hitch a ride on a yacht for the 15-18 day sail to St.Helena from cape town.

here are the links I used for my research if any one wants to give it a try using the RMS st Helena ship out of capetown
Schedules & Fares - RMS St Helena

or the RAF flights via Acension island and the application form for a transit permit that needs to be applied for a month in advance
Flights to Ascension Island, flight information and ticket details.

Visiting the Island | Ascension Island

and apologies to captain marlena,sometimes it is not just a question of money
Old 15-12-2015, 17:02   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravenewworld View Post
I was one of the two on board when we (the owner/captain) elected to secure the boat in Jamestown Harbor, St. Helena. There are many other ways to arrive St. Helena but they all require leaving Capetown, South Africa or connecting with the RMS St. Helena from Ascension Island or from the Faulklands from the South or the Caribbean Islands from the northwest. Difficult? yes, impossible?, no. Upon arrival, we have arranged a boat caretaker to contact and then making provisions is a matter of a day or two of fussing. There are ample fuel and water on board and a water maker to accommodate amply. The boat is close to the island and mostly out of harms way (secured to moorings at the bow and stern) save for the gusts that are forever dancing on the harbor from the deep valley that forms Jamestown itself. The systems all work fine; the batteries are strong and the solar system is dependable. This is a two or three person sail and the boat is a comfortable sailor even in strong winds (not very likely) and there are NO leaks anywhere.
thanks for the update are the owners still on the island?

the ship is booked up till may,so via ascension would be the only immediate possibility with possible connections on the 8th an 14th January if you can get an entry permit
the next connection would be roughly late february
Old 15-12-2015, 17:31   #20

Bravenewworld
Would you mind emailing me at windgypsy06 at yahoo dot com
I have been working on moving the boat for Bernhard and we should talk via Skype tomorrow. I would like to know more about how you guys got out of there. I talked with RMS today and looking at the Ascension option to get there. Also posting on the RCYC board. Would appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks Judy
Old 16-12-2015, 13:47   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31

No problem atoll. It's all good.

Capt. Marlena
Island Sailing Yacht Deliveries
Old 16-12-2015, 23:22   #22

Boat: 19' Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
good luck getting there!

the only ship that takes passengers from cape town rms st Helena booked up till may.
the new airport doesn't open till may with still no definite flight schedule.

the only other possibility is via acension island on a british RAF flight,then the RMS st Helena ship costing roughly $3000 a head from the uk if one or more of the 10 seats is available to civilians.

just to make matters a little more complicated you need to apply for an entry permit at least a month before as you will be unable to book the flight to ascension island until in possession of a valid permit!

That's hilarious! So, you looked into this as well. Sounded like quite an adventure at first, until it became evident that, as they say in Maine, "come to think of it.....you cain't get theyah from heah" I would say there's was a very good reason why the Brits place old "Boni" on St Helena. He wasn't about to catch a flight back to "gay Pari" for the next revolution. Ha, what a joke!
Old 17-12-2015, 00:12   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmo View Post
That's hilarious! So, you looked into this as well. Sounded like quite an adventure at first, until it became evident that, as they say in Maine, "come to think of it.....you cain't get theyah from heah" I would say there's was a very good reason why the Brits place old "Boni" on St Helena. He wasn't about to catch a flight back to "gay Pari" for the next revolution. Ha, what a joke!
it get's better you also have to buy mandatory medical and air evacuation cover insurance that's $300 for a month per person.
also the only hotel is $150 a night,the flights are twice a week which is 3-4 days before the ship arrives and departs, having a hotel booking is also mandatory

that's $1200 if you have to wait 4 days........I hope the food is cheap
Old 17-12-2015, 00:15   #24

Boat: 19' Lightning

Quote:
it get's better you also have to buy mandatory medical and air evacuation cover insurance that's $300 for a month per person.
also the only hotel is $150 a night,the flights are twice a week which is 3-4 days before the ship arrives and departs, having a hotel booking is also mandatory

that's $1200 if you have to wait 4 days........I hope the food is cheap
I hope the booze is cheap....not bloody likely!
Old 17-12-2015, 00:25   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I have heard of places like this described as.....4000 alcoholics clinging to a rock............

there might be hope
Old 17-12-2015, 07:47   #26

Quote:
Not really. And not much selection.
Old 23-12-2015, 22:22   #27

Thanks to all of those who had positive things to say on this thread. Some of the info and claims were spot on and others were so exaggerated. Bottom line, it's all sorted out, as my crew and I have a ride to St Helena on a very nice Sundeer 56. Very inexpensive to have the required med insurance. Perseverance and thinking out of the box will usually come up with a solution. Sorry to you naysayers that this is going quite well and the expense is not off the charts as predicted. Looking forward to a great delivery and a much desired visit to a place that holds so much history, St Helena!
Fair winds to all
Judy
Old 24-12-2015, 05:03   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judyfood View Post
Thanks to all of those who had positive things to say on this thread. Some of the info and claims were spot on and others were so exaggerated. Bottom line, it's all sorted out, as my crew and I have a ride to St Helena on a very nice Sundeer 56. Very inexpensive to have the required med insurance. Perseverance and thinking out of the box will usually come up with a solution. Sorry to you naysayers that this is going quite well and the expense is not off the charts as predicted. Looking forward to a great delivery and a much desired visit to a place that holds so much history, St Helena!
Fair winds to all
Judy
check the small print on your insurance,that it does actually cover st Helena specifically,quite a few of the "cheaper" policies proporting to be world wide only included continents,and non of the islands!

good luck on the 1800mile voyage there,and 3900 mile delivery

be careful in cape town,mugging is the national sport these days in SA
Old 24-12-2015, 06:32   #29

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

Quote:
Quote:
I have heard of places like this described as.....4000 alcoholics clinging to a rock............

there might be hope
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Not really. And not much selection.

Imbibing some "Tungi Spirit", only distilled on St. Helena, has been on my bucket list forever.
http://www.tungi.co.sh/index.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tungi_Spirit

Tungi Spirit is produced from prickly pear cactus fruit, the ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opuntia_vulgaris ).
May not be a Greenore Irish Whiskey or Pusser's Rum, but it sounds good.
I imagine it as between a rum and tequila product (have drunk various Mexican cactus-derived drinks from across the river...solo templado...).

Around here the prickly pear fruits are called "tuna's", deep red or purple fruits, sweet and juicy. But hazardous- you have to deburr them first , you DO NOT want to get a bunch of those tiny spines in yer hide. I've got several patches of them around the place, tasty when ripe. We eat the pads too (nopalitos), good with 'papas con huevos 'n chorizo tacos'.
Old 24-12-2015, 06:59   #30

Atoll, do you EVER have anything positive to say? Just so happens that as a sailor and a delivery skipper I like long passages, one reason I am doing this one. I have thoroughly checked out the insurance needs and since we are leaving from Namibia, I will leave the Capetown muggings to some other hapless sailor. Thanks for your cheerful advice. Oh and Namibia is 1233 miles to St H if that makes YOU feel better.
Have a great day, I am ��

Tags
delivery, St Lucia